No announcement yet.

Alternate hotels for Atlanta Pet Fair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate hotels for Atlanta Pet Fair?

Having been burned by the so-called "resort" hotel at the NDGAA Fun in the Sun last October, hubby and I are doing our due diligence regarding a hotel room for the Atlanta Pet Fair. Looking at the reviews about the Atlanta Airport Hilton, we are less than impressed. My husband used to live in midtown Atlanta but doesn't know about the current state of hotels in the area of the Hilton. $150 a night with tax and parking borders on highway robbery, and the less than stellar reviews about the Hilton lead us to believe there are less expensive alternatives. Anyone have any ideas?

Laura
    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
    Laura Lee Ray
    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Well the problem with the APF being where it is, it is not in a safe area. And all of the areas surrounding the airport (Hapeville, College Park, East Point,Forest Park,Riverdale,Jonesboro, Old National, Camp Creek) have not been safe for over 20 years or longer. There are other hotels on Virginia Ave but they may be as pricy as theHilton. If you want to drive for 20-30 mins there is Douglasville which is a straight shot down camp creek pkwy and its a bit safer. If you or anyone else here find a hotel you are interested in but unsure about the area its in, feel free to pm me or even ask on the board. I grew up there and just left there 2 years ago. Was born by the airport in East Point as a matter of fact
    The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>

Comment

Last year we stayed at a brand new Hampton Inn & Suites about four miles away from the convention hotel. It was a lot less expensive, with free breakfast and it was easy to. I apologize that I don't remember the address, but I'm sure you can find it pretty easily.

Comment

There is a Red Roof inn right across the street, but I have to say that other than the food at the APF hotel I was happy every year I stayed there.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Hilton Atlanta Airport

The base rate for the Hilton is $118 + tax. You can access it at our website: www.atlantapetfair.com, click on Locartion.

The hotel is beautiful but more importantly, SAFE!

Ann

Comment

Convention hotel is easier

Well, I just love being in the same hotel as whatever convention because it is so simple. However, I guess if the $$ savings are really great, it's worth being further away and driving every day.

Comment

Kats- this hotel blows away the Orlando hotel. If it is a price issue I understand, but the hotel is nice. I personally like to be at the same site as the show since I am usually competing and it is just much easier.
              What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Ann is right. The hilton is safe and you wouldn't have to venture out or travel in around or thru the unsafe zones. Please whatever anyone decides, be hyper alert and remember where you are...atlanta! If I didn't know these areas so well I wouldn't be harping on it
                The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>¸.
                ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>

Comment

the hilton

i happen to be laying at the airport hilton as we speak, its nice, but def not worth $150a night. the area seems to be nice, there are 3 different marriotts next to the hilton you may want to look at..

Comment

Red Roof Inn

In 2007 I made last minute plans to go to APF.The only room I could find was at the Red Roof Inn.It was clean and well kept.We had no problems,and it was well under $100. per night.

Comment

Originally posted by annstafford View Post
                      The base rate for the Hilton is $118 + tax. You can access it at our website: www.atlantapetfair.com, click on Locartion.

The hotel is beautiful but more importantly, SAFE!

Ann
                      Thank you, Ann for your reply.

While the BASE rate is comparable to other hotels on Virginia Avenue, when you add in all of the EXTRA charges, you will find:

Base rate: $118
                      Tax @ 14%: $16
                      Internet: $15 (needed, as we still have a business to run)
                      Parking: $10

Total: $159 a night.

The hotel is beautiful. But the consensus on several travel web sites is that it is NOT worth what is charged for the room, and EVERYTHING is additional, from parking, to internet, to upgraded breakfast options ($30 difference between a continental breakfast and a FULL breakfast?)

My husband and I booked a room at a "resort" hotel which had the nerve to charge a "resort" fee. The jacuzzi there was filled in with dirt to make a planter, there were no bedspreads, no in-room refrigerator, no shower curtain...the list could go on.

Frankly, for what we got we could have had more at a Motel 6. We do not wish to get burned again. So we are asking others and doing online research. So far, the research we have found about the Atlanta Airport Hilton is about 60 percent negative. While it may be convenient to stay at the hotel where the event is taking place, it is not a necessity for us. We can stay elsewhere at places less than two miles away, that are more highly rated, and where the amenities are included instead of charged for.

We run a small business and want to get full value for our travel dollar. We don't have an unlimited expense account we can charge to a client. So we will look for lodging elsewhere.

Thanks again for your post.

Laura
                      Laura Lee Ray
                      I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by purrrfect View Post
                        In 2007 I made last minute plans to go to APF.The only room I could find was at the Red Roof Inn.It was clean and well kept.We had no problems,and it was well under $100. per night.
                        Sorry, but I have to dissagree with this statement. I also stayed at the RRI in 2007 and the room was literally a mess. There were some type of food stains (I hope it was food) on the walls and BUGS in the room. The fridge did not work, so when they brought us a new one it even had molded food in it. There was a terrible musky odor, and the staff was just plain rude. I vowed to never stay there again. I do on the other hand love the Hilton, and think it is worth every penny. JMHO

It is a much more enjoyable experience to stay at the Hilton for the APF. Just to be there for all the events and such make it well worth it.

Comment

Yep, if you have never lived in ATL, better spend the extra moola. It is seriously like the wild wild west. 75+ an hour in a 50 MPH with bumper to bumper trafic and 5+ lanes. Insane

Comment

Hubby lived in Atlanta and goes through the Atlanta metro about twice a year. The traffic doesn't faze him.

Virginia Avenue was bad territory when he lived there in the 80's, and from all accounts it appears it has not gotten any better unless you hole up in a bunker of a hotel.

We think we have found a nice place about a mile from the Hilton. Thanks to all who replied.

Laura
                            Laura Lee Ray

Comment

I tend to be a hotel snob and LOVE the Hilton for APF. The staff is kind and the bellman are fabulous! I can shop, shop, shop and hand a bellman $5 and he will take all of my packages up to my room for me and I can continue shopping and seminars.

I usually drive and have not had a problem with parking or safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X