Suitable for competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable for competition?

I was thinking about entering the fun in the sun mixed breed competition this year. Would either one of these pups be suitable?
    img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/08/e6ate7ym[/img] Bella
    Bentley.
    I would normally be shaving them now but will hold off and let the coat grow if one would work out for the mixed breed comp. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

ummmI cannot see the photos and refuse to download something....maybe try again?
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I can only see one dog - looks like a male Bichon. I think you need a minimum of 8 weeks of coat growth, but if it were me competing with him, I would want a lot more coat if I were doing any type of grooms competition - salon freestyle or otherwise. I just feel like it would be a lot more difficult to pull off a stylized look with that short a coat. When is the competition you're looking to enter?

By the way, I have only done one grooming competition before, and it was just a rescue round-up, so had to groom the dog as-is, no opportunity for hair growth. He actually looked quite a bit like the male in the picture, but he had a bit more coat, and I still had a difficult time "stylizing" the look. Just wanted to give some feedback, but also let you know I am not in any way an experienced competition groomer.

Comment

Oops...let me try those pics again when I log onto my comp.... Sorry.

Comment

Okay, Fun in the Sun is the weekend before Halloween in Orlando, FL so you have time to let the guy in the pic we can see grow out quite a bit more.
          Bichon and poodle mixes generally good to use, but make sure whichever pup you use is good with noise and crowds of people milling about. Throughout the time you are grooming you both will be accosted by the noise of continual loudspeaker announcements from the podium and unless you have a table away from the edge you will have people walking fairly close by- some oblivious to what they are potentially distracting.

But - competing is a great way to test yourself and your own skills, get some feedback from your peers and just have some fun.

Have a great time.

Comment

photos again...

ok........I think I got the photos to work...

Bentley
            Click image for larger version

Name:	bentley.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1121957

Bella
            Click image for larger version

Name:	bella.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1121956

Comment

Think 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                Think 2015.
                Ditto. You need a whole lot more hair to compete with....
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Here is about the least amount of hair you will need...This was a third placement but he really needed more hair.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Parti and DDD are waaaay more experienced and wouldn't steer you wrong. Cultivate these two guys for next year if that's their suggestion

Comment

phew...that's a relief actually...I was ready to do some cramming and all but...I'm good with waiting another year. Gonna have some creative fun with these two instead for now.

Thanks for the advice and those pics are super cute.

Comment

Working...
                      X