Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come so few groomers enter grooming competitions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How come so few groomers enter grooming competitions

    When I go to shows like Intergroom or G Expo when you consider there are something like 90,000 or some say 120,000 groomers in the USA so few compete. I guess less than 500?? at most compete each year in all the shows?

    I always had 4 kids when I started grooming so it just didn't work out. Be neat to see more competing.

  • #2
    JMO..it takes a lot of time, effort, talent, having the right dog - and of course the money to travel and compete. I don't think the majority of groomers are able to make that commitment.

    Comment


    • #3
      Agree with above reply. I personally would like to but I don't own a dog that would work for competition. And I am not going to go get a dog just for that purpose( I take whatever needs a home) Also the cost is high after taking time off work( no paycheck) then entry fees on top of that. Also I would bet most salons would not be happy giving their groomers friday & weekends off on a regular basis. They lose money too when a groomer is gone. I was going to enter a rescue rodeo, that's right up my alley, but the fee of $99 is just too steep for me right now.

      Comment


      • #4
        You need the time, you need the money, you need the dog.

        And even if you have all three, if the judges don't know your face it will be a long, expensive trip for nothing.

        So why bother?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
          You need the time, you need the money, you need the dog.

          And even if you have all three, if the judges don't know your face it will be a long, expensive trip for nothing.

          So why bother?
          Bull! Most people are scared. I hear it all the time. Who you are matters not at all in entry. Ot. At. All.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

          Comment


          • #6
            Too much of a clique. Many talented groomers don't join simply because competition is not for them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Particentral View Post
              Bull! Most people are scared. I hear it all the time. Who you are matters not at all in entry. Ot. At. All.
              Exactly! That's why I haven't competed. Im terrified that my grooming actually sucks. I've been grooming for 7, almost 8 years, and while I appreciate constructive criticism I'm afraid of being told I'm not very good.

              Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #8
                I have no desire to compete.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                  Bull! Most people are scared. I hear it all the time. Who you are matters not at all in entry. Ot. At. All.
                  Parti, I know a gal who used to show AKC and was also a grooming competition judge. She told me she gave up judging the grooming because of the politics involved, which she said was as bad, or worse, that what you run across at AKC shows. That if certain people were at certain competitions, the pressure was on to place them. And the more the prize money, the heavier the pressure.

                  So, she cashed in her chips and stopped judging groomers.

                  I believed her because she had no reason to fib about it to me. I had no interest in grooming competitions and she had no reason to lie.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kurt99 View Post
                    Too much of a clique. Many talented groomers don't join simply because competition is not for them.
                    In A Div that may be true but not in C when everyone is new. No one knows them. No one is friends with them..sometimes even in B. Now once you get to A and top 20 groomteam MAYBE....But not newbie competitors.
                    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                      Parti, I know a gal who used to show AKC and was also a grooming competition judge. She told me she gave up judging the grooming because of the politics involved, which she said was as bad, or worse, that what you run across at AKC shows. That if certain people were at certain competitions, the pressure was on to place them. And the more the prize money, the heavier the pressure.

                      So, she cashed in her chips and stopped judging groomers.

                      I believed her because she had no reason to fib about it to me. I had no interest in grooming competitions and she had no reason to lie.
                      That is A division though. Not the entry. Plain and simple. And its less nowadays than it used to be.
                      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                        That is A division though. Not the entry. Plain and simple. And its less nowadays than it used to be.
                        But you admit politics goes on?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Still Parti, that is really discouraging for people like me. I'm nowhere near entry level, so if I do B or intermediate I'm not going to win because nobody knows me? That sucks and really it's ridiculous. This is not about the dog as in an AKC ring, this is about grooming. So what if you are an unknown, if you're better than the 'best' than you SHOULD be on Groom Team should you not?

                          And yes, I've been an owner handler in AKC for a long time, when my grooming and presentation became as good (or better) as the 'pros' I won on a regular basis over them.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I didnt say it happens all the time. It doesnt. But there was a time it was prevelant...I have to say its only an issue in A and its nowhere near as prevalent as it was years ago. Heck. One show the judge never picked up a comb! But that judge has not been seen since. Its a lot like dog shows though. Dont know the kennel name or handler?? How many times does that keep you from winning or finishing a dog? I have said it before. It happens. But its way less problematic now. And the reason so few compete is they are scared and/or money and lack of dogs.
                            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                              But you admit politics goes on?
                              Honey politics happen everywhere in everything including grooming shops. You cannot escape them.
                              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X