Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are dogs allowed on the trade show floor???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are dogs allowed on the trade show floor???

I asked it differently before, at Intergroom, am I allowed to have my dog with me on the trade show floor?
    Carol

IDK since it's at a different hotel this year. I believe at the last hotel it was restricted which confused me since the rules said "trade show" but the security lady told me I couldn't go out into the hallways even though there were tons of booths out there and part of what I would have considered the trade show. It's usually in the rules. I am bringing my dog Sully to be used as a demo dog so I know he'll at least be allowed in. At some shows you see people in classes with their dogs and such. You can always contact Barkliegh directly.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Intergroom is not a Barkleigh show. Look at the rules on the website. SHould be there. USUALLY the answer is no.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

You know, I realized that after I hit submit, LOL. Big duh moment.

Comment

weird i was just at intergroom and lots of non competing dogs were on the trade show floor.................

Comment

Just because they were there doesnt mean they are allowed by rules. People bring baby strollers as well even though many shows' rules rohibit them.. APF has a strict rule about non essential pets but on the trade show floor I always see them anyway. It is not a good idea to bring pets who do not need to be there. It adds to the waste problem and the congestion and it risks fights (seen them happen)......it is supposed to be enforced by the people at the door but sometimes it isn't.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

This is a hard one for me. Despite the rules, (depends on which show), I don't think it's "ok" to leave dogs in crates all day. How would YOU like it? So I would more than likely spend an hour a day or so on the floor shopping and then go back to the room. I just have a hard time with that. I know a dog is not a human, but someone try to convince me they don't get bored, frustrated, and generally unhappy being couped up a lot.

So I wont do much of that if I can avoid it. SuperZoo allows you to walk your dogs around the tradeshow, or at least I saw nothing against it.

Tammy in south korea
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I really wanted to bring her not for so muchof the crating issue, more because if I am buying shears, I do not want to demo on animal hair I want to test it on a real dog!!! I didn't take her, although still think it would have been a good thing, the floor was empty on Friday and she was not at risk of fights and I detest those baby stroller things, they are not encouraged at dog shows. Vendome would have loved to go, but she is now the #5 Bedlington and #2 bedlington bitch in the country so I wouldnt have used her for testing shears anyway!
                Carol

Comment

[QUOTE=Elmodoggie;407917I detest those baby stroller things, they are not encouraged at dog shows. [/QUOTE]

also not a fan of the strollers - I don't understand - either carry the dog in a bag or let it walk around. what is the purpose of doggie strollers?

Comment

Are we talking baby strollers are diapproved of at some shows? Let me know which ones so I can make sure not to go if that's the case. Sorry, but making it difficult for groomers with small children to attend a trade show isn't right IMO. Course, I could be misreading it.
                    Anyway, I know a few clients that use the doggy strollers because their pets have bad legs/hips etc and can't walk long distances and they just don't want to carry them around all the time. I don't mind them.
                    There were plenty of dogs on the floor that were not there for any other purpose than to be with mom or dad.
                    Remember, dogs can sleep up to 18 hours a day, so leaving them in a crate for a few hours is not really a biggie. I mean, how many hours are most of grooming salon clients who crate in cages? And everyone I've worked at tried hard to assure clients that it was not inhumane in anyway to have them that way. My dogs are crated when I am not home, period. Well, all but one because I will not let dogs congregatge unsupervised, no matter how well they seem to get along. You never know what might happen. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmodoggie View Post
                      I really wanted to bring her not for so muchof the crating issue, more because if I am buying shears, I do not want to demo on animal hair I want to test it on a real dog!!! I didn't take her, although still think it would have been a good thing, the floor was empty on Friday and she was not at risk of fights and I detest those baby stroller things, they are not encouraged at dog shows. Vendome would have loved to go, but she is now the #5 Bedlington and #2 bedlington bitch in the country so I wouldnt have used her for testing shears anyway!
                      Carol
                      For this case I would a) check on the rules and then, if against the rules leave your dog in the crate in the room b) go look at shears you may be interested in 1st. Narrow it down, list them in order of most liked to least - but narrow it down. You could even try to narrow it down to one single location selling shears. c) go get your dog and go back to where the shears you are interested in are, try what you want to try. Find some you like, either buy them quickly, or have them set them aside when you take your dog back to your room.

If it's against the rules to take a dog in that doesn't need to be there then try to be as respectful of that as you can. (If someone asks, say my dog does NEED to be here for 5 min, I'm trying some shears then returning it to the room.) I know for me it's annoying to see people blatantly breaking the rules hauling dogs around the trade show all day that they aren't competing with when mine is stuck in the crate/room.

Comment

Mylady, one show is APF and yes they mean Babystrollers. The reason? Tight ailses with vendors on either side and people walking, the strollers get in the way. I mean no disrespect, and this is going to come across differently, but children TRULY have no place at a trade show. I have been in classes with people who had their 2 and 3 year olds there in classrooms, disrupting class. I have seen kids at trade shows steal from vendors, some deliberatley, some not. I had to remove a bottle of cologne from one childs hands once at a show I was working. IT is a professional, WORK RELATED ACTIVITY, and children have little place there. As do other dogs not being used for demos, trials or competitions.

Comment

I agree that children really shouldn't be in classes, but the trade show is really just a big shopping spree. I wonder how much the attendance would drop if people couldn't bring their children. I would never allow my kids to go to a class with me, but the trade show is different. If kids are taking things or touching things they shouldn't, that's on the parents. I think vendors would lose out on a lot of sales of everyone that had small children and had no one to watch them couldn't attend. And actually, I was pretty unhappy that the aisles at Intergroom last year were so stroller unfriendly. I'm sure everyone will have a slightly different take on things.

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                            I agree that children really shouldn't be in classes, but the trade show is really just a big shopping spree. I wonder how much the attendance would drop if people couldn't bring their children. I would never allow my kids to go to a class with me, but the trade show is different. If kids are taking things or touching things they shouldn't, that's on the parents. I think vendors would lose out on a lot of sales of everyone that had small children and had no one to watch them couldn't attend. And actually, I was pretty unhappy that the aisles at Intergroom last year were so stroller unfriendly. I'm sure everyone will have a slightly different take on things.
                            I've never seen a whole lot of kids at the trade shows I've been to.

Comment

When I say baby stroller, I mean both, at dog shows, I do not know what grooming competitons and trade shows rules are as far as children and unentered dogs. HOWEVER most AKC premium lists outright STATE, NO BABY STROLLER ALLOWED, dog baby stroller are discouraged, but human baby stroller are dangerous at dog shows since the put the children with direct eye to eye level with most big dogs and we at shows do not want problems, human baby strollers are usually not allowed through the door. As for canine strollers, unentered dogs are not allowed at dog shows or on show grounds.
                              Carol

Comment

Working...
                              X