Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of competing...

Hello all!

I am seriously considering at Pet Quest in July. It's very close to home and I really want to get my feet wet in grooming competition!

Up until recently I haven't had my own dog to compete with. I now have a gorgeous Lhasa Apso that I was showing in conformation. While he was doing very well and has points toward his CH I have been having a lot of trouble with my Fibromyalgia lately. Soooo he ended up in a puppy cut! I was going to grow him back out, but now I am considering using him for a grooming competition. He is very well trained and very accustomed to grooming! His coat is awesome!!

I noticed that a lot of competitors enter multiple dogs. Is it common for a beginner to only enter one dog? Is it worth it to take just one dog?

Here's a picture of Frank in the trim I would do for competition. Does this look like something that would be competitive in competition?

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

Yes, it is worth going out there with one dog! that is all it takes to win a best in show! I competed 2 years with just one dog before I was so hooked on learning a way of grooming I was not doing and wanted to go and trying to go for Groom Team. Once I made that decision then I started entering all the classes. I say go for it and have a good time!!!!

Comment

Thanks! I think I'm going to go for it! I have only been to one grooming show and that was like 10 yrs ago! LOL Was Fun In The Sun when I lived in FL. It was fun!

Comment

I am planning on competing this summer at Canada Grooms (which will be the closest seminar, and is still a plane ride away!), I am taking my standard poodle, he is the only dog i am taking.

I don't think my nerves can handle multiple dogs, lol Plus, I really don't have any clients that I could borrow dogs from, 98% of my clientelle is shih tzu's...the shaved kind

Comment

Please go for it, that is perhaps the cutest little dog I have ever seen!!

Comment

YES YES YES!

I competed last September in Las Vegas with my ONE dog, my toy poodle, Icon, and we won first place in our division and 2nd place in Group. I came home with $650, and when looking at the photos I have a LOT of work to do!

You can enter Frank in Potpourri. I have one suggestion---his butt is a little over-pointy, but he is a beautiful dog, and would be a good candidate for competitions!

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go for it!

Comment

Scully's mom... Thanks! I think he's pretty cute! The only thing that would stop me from doing it is I need to finish his CH. This would make it longer before I got him back in coat, but think I will try it anyway! This is soooo much easier to care for than full coat!

Comment

Working...
                X