Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competing at Intergroom 2010... First timer HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competing at Intergroom 2010... First timer HELP!!

Hi everyone I'm competing in my first grooming competition at Intergroom 2010 and I have so many questions and would love any advice or suggestions anyone can give me... Sorry in advance for all these

I'm competing with a mini apricot poodle and I'm not sure whether or not I should go into the Poodle Competition in the Novice category under Rising Star or if I should go into the extreme makeover Competition. This is my first competition and I've only been grooming 2 years, I'm just looking to do this for the experience of it and I have a pretty open mind. I'm in the process of growing the poodles coat out and he is beautiful all blown out. So any suggestions on cuts would be great I was thinking about doing a german clip, but not sure whether or not that would look good due to his size and coloring..

Okay so here where the real questions start
    1. Have any of you competed where you were using clippers for blending purposes or did you strictly scissor? (this is besides the clean face and clean feet)
    2. Do I have to supply my own table? I know the ring is equipped with tables, but not sure how you reserve those?
    3. Where do I put my level (novice) when I register I didn't see that on the entry form?
    4. Where is the pre competition prep work done?
    5. What judging association judges Intergroom?

Any other information I can get would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by groominbeauty View Post
    Hi everyone I'm competing in my first grooming competition at Intergroom 2010 and I have so many questions and would love any advice or suggestions anyone can give me... Sorry in advance for all these

I'm competing with a mini apricot poodle and I'm not sure whether or not I should go into the Poodle Competition in the Novice category under Rising Star or if I should go into the extreme makeover Competition. This is my first competition and I've only been grooming 2 years, I'm just looking to do this for the experience of it and I have a pretty open mind. I'm in the process of growing the poodles coat out and he is beautiful all blown out. So any suggestions on cuts would be great I was thinking about doing a german clip, but not sure whether or not that would look good due to his size and coloring..

Okay so here where the real questions start
    1. Have any of you competed where you were using clippers for blending purposes or did you strictly scissor? (this is besides the clean face and clean feet)
    2. Do I have to supply my own table? I know the ring is equipped with tables, but not sure how you reserve those?
    3. Where do I put my level (novice) when I register I didn't see that on the entry form?
    4. Where is the pre competition prep work done?
    5. What judging association judges Intergroom?

Any other information I can get would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    I can answer some of these for you. I do not compete in Intergroom because it's to far from me ;( First NS or Extreme Makeover are very different and if I were you and it was my first time I would just groom the dog at 6 weeks before the comp and enter NS. Unless you are totally confident that you will not run out of time and preform exceptionally then EM may be fine it really depends on your skill level.

1: Yes you can groom with whatever method you like there are no guide lineson personal technique. However in A division they do expect a full hand scissor on poodles.
    2: Some shows provide tables some do not. Contact the show manager. The contact info can be found on your entry form.
    3:That should be one of the very first questions on the entry form? take another look maybe you just missed it...
    4: there is a prep room provided at each show. There will be a time slot sign up sheet and I highly recommend making this your first and top priority as soon as you arrive at the show.
    5: That is also a question to ask the show manager. Call the number on the entry form and they will be able to answer all of you questions

Comment

I think Lex Pauline answered all of your questions but I wanted to tell you good luck and HAVE FUN!

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I do Intergroom just about every year.

Actually, Lex has some things wrong. Many of the top A div people use snapons to set length on Poodles. Jonathan does, Kendra does, Lindsey has, Pina has,,,, so its ok to use them to set length.

Tables are generally supplied at Intergroom. Pretty much always.

The prep at Intergroom is done in a van owned by Cheryl Percell, called the BIS van. Its big, has room for 6 tables and 2 tubs. At least that is what they have done the last few years. Intergroom rents it from her and her hubby and they maintain it onsite.

Individual judges chosen by Christine DeFilipo judge there. Its not a judges organization persay.

When registering, if you enter Rising Star you are choosing Novice. the Open division is called Groomer of the Year.

I am waiting for them to update the website to get the info on the judges for this year before i decide if I am going to go this year or not, but I usually do. Its a fun show at a new location this year.

OH and the extreme makeover class is not for novices IMO. YES you can enter, but it is hard to get a perfect finish on dogs with that much coat and generally speaking top competitors win it. NOTSAYING a novice cannot win it, just that usually that doesn;t happen.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Lex hit it all pretty well,,except that I think Extreme Makeover may be putting you in over your head--that's a lot of hair and work to wade thru your first time in the ring. But, then--that's just me!
          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I would NOT do extreme makeover...it is open to ANYONE. It may be unnerving to compete in that class. Do the Poodle class and enjoy yourself. Don't bring a dog in with a lot of hair! Extreme makeover doesn't even allow more time than a standard poodle in poodle class.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your help it was very informative. I will be competing in the Rising star category in the Poodle Class.. Just one entry for now thats all my nerves can handle..

Hope to see many of you and meet you at Intergroom 2010!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                I do Intergroom just about every year.

Tables are generally supplied at Intergroom. Pretty much always.

Not in Raising Star! They only supply Tables for Over Seas people.. Maybe they will this year, But double check before you leave for the show!

Comment

Originally posted by bubblesaway View Post
                  Not in Raising Star! They only supply Tables for Over Seas people.. Maybe they will this year, But double check before you leave for the show!
                  The last few years there were tables for everyone. Year before last the RS people had Hydraulics that went way up while the Open had low low low tables....we were dieing the stayed so low. The two years I competed in RS they had tables and I am not from overseas. Last year was a problem of tables PERIOD for them as their supplier backed out at the last minute.
                  <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                    The last few years there were tables for everyone. Year before last the RS people had Hydraulics that went way up while the Open had low low low tables....we were dieing the stayed so low. The two years I competed in RS they had tables and I am not from overseas. Last year was a problem of tables PERIOD for them as their supplier backed out at the last minute.
                    I remember that! We did have fabulous tables, while you guys looked like you were going to break your backs. But the year before that and the year after that i had to bring my own table. So I always bring one to whatever show i am doing just in case

Comment

Thanks Again

I will be bringing a table with me just in case.. Thanks so much again everyone!! Now just deciding on what type of cut I am doing? Thinking either the show puppy cut or the german clip... Any suggestions for a Apricot Mini.. His coat isn't the thickest, but when he is blown out and cut it looks very full.

Comment

Working...
                      X