Want to compete but too chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to compete but too chicken?

I wanted to suggest the RESCUE RODEO that is held at the Atlanta Pet Fair, as well as SuperZoo, Las Vegas. Possibly other places as well, but I'm not sure.

I just got my APF Catalog today, and there are photos from the SuperZoo Rescue Rodeo on pg. 38 (My photo is bottom left, 3rd from the corner, little black dog). You can see the type and condition of many of them. They are just normal, pet dogs who are in need of some pampering in order to be adopted.

Anyway, I think I enjoyed the Rescue Rodeo more than I did the "real" competition with my poodle (And I even won with him). I think it was the fact that there was A) No pressure to do a show groom, and B) a good cause. You pay $100----$50 goes to the rescue the dog was borrowed from, and $50 goes to prize money.

I cannot wait to do it again!!! You're HELPING a dog, a rescue, AND yourself! It's for a good cause, and you will benefit from knowing what it's like to have a judge go over your dog before AND after the competition.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you who are afraid to do the Rescue Rodeo, it's fun and it's a challenge, but not scary.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Do they supply the dog Tammy?

I think it'd be neat to compete in a Rescue Rodeo
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Geez, I'd love to compete in anything! Conveniently, there isn't anything near me. Boo.

Sounds really cool!
      That Tenacious Terrier!
      www.thattenaciousterrier.com
      https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

With relocating the business to my home, I should be able to afford to get to Vegas this year and if they supply the dog, I'm going for it!
        ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~

Comment

I think I might get brave enough to do it next time But I am saving up because I have decided to get a standard poodle to start getting into creative grooming competitions. I have been in AWE of all of you groomers who do it with such ease and I look forward to getting out of my shy shell and jumping in feet first SOOOOO White male standard poodle puppy here I come!!!!!!! LOL. Spikey I think I might go again this year and try the competition!!!!

Comment

I think it's great when anyone wants to compete. It is a scary feeling but just suck up and try it! The one and only time I competed it was nervewracking but I was ready to come back and try it again the following year when I was in a MVA. I can no longer compete but I do encourage others to try it. If you are nervous about the breed competitions try other like Creative or Rescue Rodeo which I think is a great idea! Would be nice to see it crop up at other grooming competitions. I htink CHristine P was on the right track when she brought this idea out in the open.It has been somewhat tried before in the past but she managed to make it a success. If they bring it closer to me I might try it - you say there is no time limit? I know a lot of competitors are scared but at least now they have levels! Which I think helsp a lot. Best thing you can do is set up a clock and time yourself and see how you do and keep doing it til you are comfortable with your timing.

Comment

Yes!! They DO supply the dog. That is what is so fun about it.

You might get a long haired doxie mix, or you might get a St. Bernard!

I got a wire haired mix and hand stripped him---naughty unneutered little punk! But he was cute when he was done!

Here is the photo page online:

http://www.atlantapetfair.com/genera...og/catalog.htm

Bottom left corner, I am smiling, kinda blond, with a small black dog.

I can't tell you how much fun it was to COMPETE with a rescue dog, even a naughty one! It was a good experience, and I actually quite enjoyed it---there really wasn't the level of pressure as there was for the breed competition, but it DEFINITELY prepared me for it. I just wanted to encourage people who were afraid to compete but really want to, because this is the way to get your feet wet.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

What classes are you going to be in at APF Tammy?? ..what division?

Comment

I did the Pet Pavilion in Atlanta which was a rescue situation. All the dogs came from the HS or a local rescue Org. I got a short haired German Shepard, and YES he was a SHORT HAIRED dog....I won second anyway with lots of carding and stripping out undercoat. Those kids of things are loads of fun.
                  <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Looks like I'll be entering a rescue rodeo this year!!!!!
                    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~

Comment

Originally posted by LexPauline View Post
                      What classes are you going to be in at APF Tammy?? ..what division?
                      As much as I'd like to go to APF this year, I will not be. My photo is in the APF Catalog because they were showing photos of the Rescue Rodeo from Las Vegas.

I wish I could describe the kind of fun I had when I competed in the Rescue Rodeo---there really isn't much 'pressure,' because you can do WHATEVER you want! 'Course, I wouldn't recommend shaving down a St. Bernard that's not a pelt, but you get the point, lol.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

How to compete?

Where can I go to learn about grooming competitions? How do you learn the rules ect...
                        I have never seen one but keep hearing everyone talking about them!
                        I guess the question is where do i start??

Comment

Originally posted by BoscoandKoda View Post
                          Where can I go to learn about grooming competitions? How do you learn the rules ect...
                          I have never seen one but keep hearing everyone talking about them!
                          I guess the question is where do i start??
                          First: Choose a show that is near you that might be fun. You are in Illinois, so I would suggest the All American Grooming Show in Chicago.

Second: Find out when it is---usually you can find their website, and get an approximate date. It seems that it's in Aug. or Sept. not sure.

Third: As the show gets closer, they will load all the information onto their website/s including rules for competing. READ THEM CAREFULLY!

The All American Grooming show is huge from what I can tell. It would be a good experience for you!

Tammy in ... South Korea

Comment

That sounds like Fun Tammy, how much was it last year when you did it. and do you get to choose your dog? I have not learned to hand strip very well yet. I would NOT want one that needed it.

Comment

It's $100 to enter (or it was at SuperZoo), and NO you don't choose yoru dog. That is what is so fun about it.

I can't hand strip worth a darn. I went to a seminar on it once, learned some very very basics, and then had a client come in that got her dog (Parson Russell Terrier) from a very nice breeder (her auntie is on the box of Milkbones you see at the store). Anyway, she wanted her to "look like they are supposed to." This dog's whole back/spine area was so thick with hair, I was like. "Eeek." She said do whatever you need to (even if that meant clipping/thinning shearing).

So I just thought, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. So I took my little michaelangelo stones from Chris Christensen and started pulling. The hair just came out! I kept pullling. Next thing you know I was half done. Then I did the whole body, the head, the ears. WOW...I can do it!

So when I got a hand stripped dog at Rescue Rodeo Superzoo, I was happy, thinking "Hard groom = win????" Nope! But I stripped anyway. The dog was cute but a stinker (unneutered, never been groomed). Make sure you take your Groomers Helper, lol.

Tammy

Comment

Working...
                              X