Homeowners insurance & home business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeowners insurance & home business

Can any home based groomers give me some info on insurance? I already got a quote from one company for the business but the problem lies with my homeowners. They will not cover me.I'm willing to switch my homeowners policy to a different company but I'm not finding any that will give me a homeowners policy while running a grooming business. Anyone else have this problem?

We have Farm Bureau Insurance and they have a rider for my shop too. My shop is connected to our house as another room.
    It covers customers falling, fire and thief. Doesn't cover if a dog is hurt, lost or dies in your shop or if you are hurt.
    You have to go with Gibson's Insurance, if you want more coverage.

Comment

rider

Farm Bureau wrote up a ryder to cover my business.
      My agent told me they would rather cover everything.
      Its a seperate policy, but I do pay farm bureau quartly for it.
      Its about 250 a year, and pays for care, custody, and control.
      Pays any claim for injury to animal, etc.
      There is no deductable for injuries to animals, but ther is for the
      equipment.

Comment

I have Western Reserve with a rider for my business. My shop in in our detached garage. Again does not cover the pets, just equipment and clients.
        Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Since my dad is military, (ret) I have USAA for my car, my home, and my business which is 350 a year and it covers everything even if I cut a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by twodogs View Post
            Can any home based groomers give me some info on insurance? I already got a quote from one company for the business but the problem lies with my homeowners. They will not cover me.I'm willing to switch my homeowners policy to a different company but I'm not finding any that will give me a homeowners policy while running a grooming business. Anyone else have this problem?
            Are you zoned for a home based business? If you are running an illegally zoned business from your home you may be s.o.l. when it comes to insurance.

Comment

I've already checked with the zoning that's ok

Comment

I have a regular State Farm policy on the house but I have a Gibson/Governor policy on the part of the house that has the grooming shop. Covers the dogs and clients. More expensive...but I'm homebased and don't want to take any chances.

Comment

Originally posted by FauxPaw
                  I am in the process of moving to my new home right now. When I filled out my homeowners insurance, they highlighted the section asking me to initial and verify that I have no potentially dangerous dogs on my property.

It should be interesting once I get my shop built and running. It will be in it's own building on my property, but the insurance aspect still has me worried.

I mainly worry about people slipping and falling, etc.
                  Check into an Umbrella Policy on your Home Owners..often umbrellas are more
                  more forgiving than the underlying policy is

Comment

Originally posted by Briarpatch View Post
                    I have a regular State Farm policy on the house but I have a Gibson/Governor policy on the part of the house that has the grooming shop. Covers the dogs and clients. More expensive...but I'm homebased and don't want to take any chances.
                    You can never be too well insured. In today's society..people are more litigious than ever. Every one wants to sue every one else.

Comment

We have kindof a unique situation here, I was able to find liability insurance that would cover a customer falling, dog injury etc, but had to go with a company seperate from the company that insures our home. We built our house in 2005, and at the same time I was looking into business insurance, (Dec) I stopped and talked with the people that have our construction insurance, as our house is finally nearing completion, we needed our policy switched from the construction insurance, to an actual homeowners policy. No dice. Why? We have 6 dogs. They only insure homes with up to 3 dogs!!!! Breed does not matter. In the next breathe she asked me if any of them were old, and "getting up there". Meaning, get back to me when three of them kick off. This is the only insurance company in AK that insures log homes, and we will forever be relegated to a construction policy (covers fire) until I either lie, or three dogs go to the bridge. I don't know why everything has to be so difficult.
                      Kelley

Comment

I'm home based. I have Allstate for the house, my agent told me they don't have Professional Liability Ins. He recommended someone, so I ended up with Liberty Mutual for the business (which is in an attached garage).

Comment

We have nationwide for the house and business and a seperate liability works well for us.
                          "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                          Nancy

Comment

Working...
                          X