Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catlin
    replied
    So, I met with the owners today. The room is plumbed for hot/cold water and drainage. There's 6-7 220 power outlets through the room, that are at about mid wall, so dryer's and clipper cords aren't on the ground. The store itself is open 7 days a week in an area that is quickly being gentrified. Rent would be 575 bones and include water and power. I'm really hoping that I can get a hold of my brother (who's in Thailand) to get the ball rolling on this!!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• DogGamut
    replied
    I have a similar offer, seems like a ton of work but better than working under people who are (insert symptom here)

Leave a comment:

• Catlin
    replied
    Setter, they offer no nails or grooming services what so ever. I'm liking the location due to being less expensive than my own storefront, but growth would be a problem down the road. The area it's in does have quite a high growth rate, so I figure in 3 years( ?) I'd have enough clientele to be able to open up close by if wanted.

Leave a comment:

• SetterGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Catlin View Post
    Thank you, setter!! That's an awesome set up. The area I'm looking at (tentatively) is only 200 square feet, but has a self wash so I'd have a tub to use. I'd have to supply everything else, though.

Do they currently do nail trims at the self wash? Knowing what I know now, I would never partner with someone offering nail trims. For 200 square feet, you should be able to get a really good deal on rent, but the opportunity to expand or add employees to take a day off might not be there.

Leave a comment:

• Catlin
    replied
    Thank you, setter!! That's an awesome set up. The area I'm looking at (tentatively) is only 200 square feet, but has a self wash so I'd have a tub to use. I'd have to supply everything else, though.

Leave a comment:

• SetterGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Catlin View Post
    My brother has offered to lend me the money to start up a grooming business! It's not a for sure thing, as the idea of opening my own place is scary, but the offer is on the table. I live in a high rent area with tons of grooming businesses.
    I'm thinking, in order to not have to work 14 hour days, 7 days a week to make ends meet, of finding a boutique pet supply store that's willing to rent out an area for grooming.
    Does this actually work? I know the requirements on my end for opening a store front of my own, but what about this situation? Anyone done this before, and had it work?
    Advice in general?

Thanks [emoji4]

This is what I do and love it. I rent out empty space from a higher end franchise. They used to employ groomers, but it didn't work out, so my rent includes a stainless steel tub, washer/dryer, 8 cage cage bank, 2 electric tables, and a granddaddy dryer. I have about 650 square feet, 2 rooms.

The only downside is that their lease trickles down to me. The strip mall it is in requires all stores to be open 6 days a week, so I have to too. I'm only open 2 hours on Mondays though to do office work. Sometimes customers will try to call the store if they get my voicemail and try to talk the employees into having me squeeze an extra dog in or stop bathing a dog to answer their phone call, so you have to make it clear with the employees what the ground rules are. The pet store knows to just tell them that they can't do anything and that they need to call me and listen to the voicemail or visit my website for online booking.

My rent is $700, all inclusive of utilities. It goes up $50 each year and will max out at $800. I just pay for phone, internet, and anything I need to groom dogs and my advertising. I have a ton of walk in traffic though. I do enough in nail trims to pay all of my overhead and only offer walk in nail trims on saturdays from 9:30-4:00.

Some of the other benefits are that all the employees are constantly promoting me. They will hand out anything I want to customers. There's also a walk in vet clinic on Saturdays and a trainer here 2 nights a week, so I get a lot of traffic from those without having to do the work.

Leave a comment:

• Catlin
    started a topic Crazy opportunity

Crazy opportunity

My brother has offered to lend me the money to start up a grooming business! It's not a for sure thing, as the idea of opening my own place is scary, but the offer is on the table. I live in a high rent area with tons of grooming businesses.
    I'm thinking, in order to not have to work 14 hour days, 7 days a week to make ends meet, of finding a boutique pet supply store that's willing to rent out an area for grooming.
    Does this actually work? I know the requirements on my end for opening a store front of my own, but what about this situation? Anyone done this before, and had it work?
    Advice in general?

Thanks [emoji4]

Working...
X