Report on Petsmart by United4respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report on Petsmart by United4respect

United is an anti-private equity advocacy group, so they are politically biased in favor of regulation. Still, some interesting info in this report on Petsmart's bad actions towards staff and pets.
    https://united4respect.org/wp-conten...hed-Report.pdf

There are a lot of issues with the sources used for the section on pet deaths. The poodle was not found to have been strangled, however animal cruelty charges were filed that related to them not seeking veterinary care promptly for the pet. The NJ report by Advanced Media was incredibly one-sided and primarily relied on pet owner comments, not substantiated incidents with any veterinary documentation. One of the incidents in NJ that had been included ended up being settled with a civil lawsuit where Petsmart won and the pet owner had to make a public apology and reimburse Petsmart's legal fees (because they weren't honest about the pet's necropsy not showing any proof of neglect or intentional harm). I think there's a LOT missing from this report and how it related to pet owners not providing information regarding their pet's condition or even not knowing they have an underlying health condition, instead of only taking pet owner comments at face value when they blame "Petsmart" for something happening.

I will say it is disheartening to read the comments from the Petsmart employees about not following COVID protocols and not putting employee safety first, I think that is an issue across the board not just in the corporate pet businesses. But I found another error in the section about Petsmart being cited for multiple violations in Colorado - a quick Google shows that was Petco, not Petsmart.

Some of these are very easily vetted, so I'm not sure I would trust the validity of the entire report if just a cursory evaluation finds so many faults.

Comment

Originally posted by lyttleravyn View Post
      There are a lot of issues with the sources used for the section on pet deaths. The poodle was not found to have been strangled, however animal cruelty charges were filed that related to them not seeking veterinary care promptly for the pet. The NJ report by Advanced Media was incredibly one-sided and primarily relied on pet owner comments, not substantiated incidents with any veterinary documentation. One of the incidents in NJ that had been included ended up being settled with a civil lawsuit where Petsmart won and the pet owner had to make a public apology and reimburse Petsmart's legal fees (because they weren't honest about the pet's necropsy not showing any proof of neglect or intentional harm). I think there's a LOT missing from this report and how it related to pet owners not providing information regarding their pet's condition or even not knowing they have an underlying health condition, instead of only taking pet owner comments at face value when they blame "Petsmart" for something happening.

I will say it is disheartening to read the comments from the Petsmart employees about not following COVID protocols and not putting employee safety first, I think that is an issue across the board not just in the corporate pet businesses. But I found another error in the section about Petsmart being cited for multiple violations in Colorado - a quick Google shows that was Petco, not Petsmart.

Some of these are very easily vetted, so I'm not sure I would trust the validity of the entire report if just a cursory evaluation finds so many faults.

Interesting. This report is part of an ongoing effort at increasing retail employment regulations at large corporations, since that is what this lobbying group focuses on and fundraises for. Elizabeth Warren is working with the group, at least according to United4respect.

Comment

I have the internal PS report on the series of deaths that happened back to back. This report could have used if they wanted it. It'sout there. If they increase large retailer regulations any further there won't be any people willing to work for them. These are private companies. Government needs to back out. Leave it to the public sector. They have ZERO right to be involved with this.
        Last edited by Particentral; 11-09-21, 04:28 AM.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X