groom and my groomer calls in sick or just doesn't show up, I wonder how
    the owner handles this because it's obvious that she can't do it all by
    herself. What kind of back up should they have? Would she just call up
    the clients and try and reschedule them and risk the chance of them
    going somewhere else? Should the employed groomer be nervous
    about getting sick in the morning and expect to be fired if she calls in
    sick? I just wonder if owners just expect their employees never to get
    sick at the last minute.

I have never come across this with a groomer, but my plan is to call and reschedule as many as possible. I will bathe a brush the others at no charge and apologize and hope they re-book. Of course I will groom as many as possible to minimize the damage. I figure customers cant get to mad because their dog will at least come home clean with no wallet impact.

Comment

I'm here to tell you it's stressful.
      It's not so bad at a multi-groomer salon where more than one groomer can absorb the overflow. But where it's just me and my groomer didn't show up. I had 12 haircuts and am only comfortable with 6. Booked solid forever so can't reschedule, well it stinks!!
      Now I have a bather everyday. That helps, not likely both will be sick or absent the same day.
      Myself, I've never called in sick a day in my life. Work is a priority, dogs don't just wait till the next day to be groomed. It's a fact of life for me.
      It's a hard call on what to do when it happens. I know I can't expect everyone to be like me. Though it would be nice!

Comment

I've never called in sick in my entire life either, but after entering the grooming field, it seems like its a way of life for "i.c." groomers. When it's YOUR shop, you will get the flack about it one way or another and the IC groomer will either be back "to help you" or not. Be careful when you hire another groomer.

Comment

" Should the employed groomer be nervous
          about getting sick in the morning and expect to be fired if she calls in
          sick? I just wonder if owners just expect their employees never to get
          sick at the last minute.[/QUOTE]

I've felt that my last employers expected me to be healthy and never ever be sick. One time(in 3 or so years) I called in at around 4:30am for my shift at 10am and got screamed at for being sick and saying that i was lying. Luckily I only had 3 dogs that day since it was right after the holidays and the other groomers were so happy that I called and spoke with them to. The night before I had eaten at a resturant and ate something that I have a bad reaction to. I'm talking like throwing up non-stop, not being able to walk because the stomach pains were so bad and a few more bad effects that I'd rather not mention . I went to work the next day and all I got were angry looks from the managers and the "YOU dont' look sick". Things between us were never the same again and I left soon after. On the other hand I've been around some of the worst types of people who will actually call in an hour after the shift started to tell people that she wouldn't be coming in. Thing is that she would talk about how she wouldn't be coming in with a bather the day before. At least our bather was a good person and told us when she was going to do this so we would stop booking appointments and have the bather start washing her dogs and then the groomers would fit each and every dog in. This lady did this at least 8-10 times before they fired her. Then she'd come in the next day and claim we all stole her dogs........ Oh yeah and then we had the groomer who kept on being taken to Jail and she kept getting chances, or the one who would cut 1 out of 4 dogs each day. Theres another one who had an invisible baby.(aka: she didn't have any kids) who would use that as an excuse to not come in. "My baby is sick" story. Or the one who always had someone who passed away during the busy holiday seasons. Boy I've meet some people lol.

Be a good employer and listen to those who work for you. (Our managers ignored our complaints until we starting talking about leaving.) Its strange because it seems like my employers treat groomers who call out alot better than groomers who call out once every three years. The ones who are constantly out are given more chances to be redeemed. Don't be one of those employers. Be open about it. If someone calls out sick tell them to feel better and give you a call if anything changes. Don't call them liars. But if it happens constantly...somthing is going on

Comment

for owners

hi

me neither i havent called in sick, cause i have my own shop..lol. the groomer i hired is very slow, she only grooms 2 or 3 dogs a day. i would be able to handle her flow, also told her that calling in sick, does not work for me, you come in no matter what, unless you cant get out of bed or your in the hospital. now she took 2 weeks off work, she only started in july, go figure plus i let her take it, told her it cant happen all the time either, also she just open her grooming business at her house, working for me and herself.

well see how it goes

julie

Comment

I didn't call in sick when I was working for someone and now that I have my shop, I have had one incidence of the flu, when I first opened. Thankfully, I only one dog that day (my neighbors) and my shop is 30 min. away. I roughed the poodle in and bathed it. I got so sick, I layed on the shop floor intermittently and could hardly finish the dog. When I took the dog home, i charged a discount price because I wasn't sure about his pom-poms. Anywy, I was sick for 3 days.
              I think, that an "owner" can pretty much tell by the employees work performance and attitude, when someone is really sick or just kind of being whinney etc. I was a supervisor before an owner and I have had so many excuses it wasn't funny. It does seem that work ethic is not a majority trade.

Comment

I require a written doctors excuse. I have to reschedule most..When I've had groomers in the past,,I groom 6 and they usually groom 6,,I can groom up to 9 or 10 if I must, and move the others to her next day, so that she has to do the makeup work along with her regular schedule! Also, if no Dr. excuse...3strikes they're out!

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                  I require a written doctors excuse. I have to reschedule most..When I've had groomers in the past,,I groom 6 and they usually groom 6,,I can groom up to 9 or 10 if I must, and move the others to her next day, so that she has to do the makeup work along with her regular schedule! Also, if no Dr. excuse...3strikes they're out!
                  Do you provide insurance?
                  Until I was full time at the something I was at, if I got sick, I couldn't afford to go to the docs. The boss was mad at me for being sick, so I fianlly did go in. I had a 104 fever for 4 days before I did, and he kept me home for a few days. Took me 3 months to pay that bill what with the xrays and meds. Not everyone can afford to go to the docs if they know they have something a doc can't fix, like a severe migraine. Ususally, a sufferer will have the meds, but be unable to groom "under the influence" shall we say.

Comment

Sometimes we've had a part time groomer that could be called in. Otherwise, we'd call and reschedule the grooms--usually overbooking for the rest of the week to get them in asap. And if they show up/we can't get ahold of them the other groomer does it.

People understand that people get sick. The average person is really only sick (with more than a cold) something like 2 times a year though.

Comment

Working...
                    X