Client books me, but seems angry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client books me, but seems angry

I've done house call cat grooming for this client about 3 times. She hired me because she became angry at her former house call groomer. That groomer works with an assistant. The client told me they were criticizing her during the grooming session for not getting her cats groomed often enough. The client was upset about it. While I was grooming her cats, she talked about it as if it were something I would know about, sort of going on about it. However, she was very pleasant to me.
    The last time I groomed her cats, something set her off. I don't know if it was because I mentioned that it would be good to wipe her cat's eyes once a day. At the end of the session, she wouldn't look me in the eyes. She handed me the payment, along with her usual very generous tip. She made an appointment for another session. Then she sat down on her sofa in the living room and didn't say good-bye. I let myself out.
    She's functional enough to hold down a demanding job and have a social life, so it's not as if she's bonkers.
    I'm thinking of canceling the appointment, making up a story about how I have some family commitments and can't re-schedule.
    I could try to power through, since I'm only there for an hour. I don't know. My experience is that once a client turns on me, it's just a matter of time before they fire me anyway.
    What do you think?

Why fire yourself? Maybe she was just having a bad day. She'll either keep her next appt or cancel. And she did give you a nice tip. Some people can't take any kind of suggestion or criticism-no matter how nicely it's presented. It makes them feel like they're bad 'pet parents'.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
      Why fire yourself? Maybe she was just having a bad day. She'll either keep her next appt or cancel. And she did give you a nice tip. Some people can't take any kind of suggestion or criticism-no matter how nicely it's presented. It makes them feel like they're bad 'pet parents'.
      Agreed

Comment

I hope she was just having a bad day. It's awkward being in someone's home when they're giving you the silent treatment. Her apartment is small.
        I am thinking about firing myself because I've had two other client's go cold on me. One ended up raging at me in an email. The other fired me after giving me a hard time.

Comment

I'm not sure what to do.. haha I'm no help. She sounds kinds passive/aggressive. That was rude of her and she was acting like a spoiled baby, frankly. If I didn't need the money, I wouldn't go back. I don't need nor want people like that in my life. I've weeded out those clients that are not grateful for what I do. You go to her house, you do a good job and her money is a thank you enough?? Oh nope nope nope.. be pleasant, be kind, (I'm talking to her lol) and say thank you!!!
          Debbie
          There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
            That's true and I do have a story recently of being criticized at a place where I took my cat for a dental. This is the 2nd time I've been there and both times I've been criticized by the vet. First time they told me my dog was obese. He's not.. he's a lab mix and weighs 75 lbs and is perfect. His hair is about twice a long as a lab's but not as long as a golden. His tail is really, really thick and he has loosey goosey skin. This time, my cat has kidney failure from having high calcium, which was probably from having 3 surgeries in 4 months. But this dental vet told me I was doing my sick cat no favors by letting her eat dry. Then directed me to several websites. I know, I know, I know.. but my cat is sick, I've almost put her down twice this summer, so she gets to eat whatever she wants lol. Both times, I let the comments roll off my back, paid my bill, and said thank you. Now.. do I want to take my obese cat to them??? NOooooo... lol. She's fat because I have to leave dry out for my two sick cats. When they both go.. normal feeding will resume and all will be fine. But geez...

This gal sounds like a spoiled passive/aggressive person. There is no need to be rude when someone does you a service. If you are mad, just say thank you anyway. A generous tip is no excuse for bad manners. She sounds like a pouty child.
            Debbie
            There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

She's an extremely attractive older woman -- seriously the most attractive woman over 50 I've ever seen in real life. Lots of woman over 50 look good, but she's a stunner. So maybe she's used to being given special treatment, and it really peeved her to have someone she's paying say something that could sound like a criticism. Passive aggressive sounds about right.
              I'll go back one more time. If she has gotten over her hissy fit, then all is well. If not, I'll make excuses and back away.
              Good lesson for me to learn though. Some people are in no mood to be given "helpful" advice. I can understand that. I've been given way too much unasked-for advice myself, ha ha.

Comment

Emma.....you are hired to groom her cat, not to entertain the owner. I would count my blessing if an owner isn't hovering over my shoulder as I groom her cat, I would want total silence and absence from the owner so it doesn't delay my finish time and disrupt the cat. Continue grooming her cat in blessed total silence.

Happy counting your blessings !!

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Ha! I love it. Makes sense!

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                  Emma.....you are hired to groom her cat, not to entertain the owner. I would count my blessing if an owner isn't hovering over my shoulder as I groom her cat, I would want total silence and absence from the owner so it doesn't delay my finish time and disrupt the cat. Continue grooming her cat in blessed total silence.

Happy counting your blessings !!

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Sounds like a pill popper.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt99 View Post
                      Sounds like a pill popper.
                      Whatever!
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                        Whatever!
                        Erratic emotions and behavior are indicative of a pill popper, per medical literature.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt99 View Post
                          Erratic emotions and behavior are indicative of a pill popper, per medical literature.
                          I am quite aware of "per medical literature". If admin had not edited my previous post, it would have reflected this. But you don't have a clue about this person so just thowing out drug use allegations is wrong, imho. Could be the lady was having a low sugar diabetic episode, or many many other things.
                          Not going to argue with you as I also don't have a clue about this person.

Comment

Emma, don't fire yourself....as Dolly said, you are there to groom the cat not entertain the lady.

Comment

The cats are a joy to groom. Sweeties. I made a deal with her where I do maintenance for them once a month, which just means cleaning eyes, ears, trimming claws, trimming out any mats, and brushing. I do all three in one hour. I charge my hourly rate. Works out very well for her and for me . . . and for the cats.

Comment

Working...
                              X