KINDA FRUSTURATED-What is Chunky??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KINDA FRUSTURATED-What is Chunky??

I groom these 2 shih tzus for this lady and the first time I did them apparently she wasnt happy with them and today she brings the one in and says last time they were chunky. Wasnt sure what that meant so I asked her. Then she grabed some hair and said see this is chunky and the hair she grabed was just curls that well that particular breeds does have wavy hair. I cant do anything about that. So she wants it shorter but not to short so I used the next blade up otherwise if I go any s horter it really will be short. Chunky I just shook my head and really dont know what to do with that. I think shes one of those people that wont be happy no matter what you do though. Very frusturating somethimes though.

Sounds like maybe a drying problem. Are you cage drying?? They need to be srtetched dryed/fluff dryed. I start out with a HV dryer, and finish up with a stand dryer. Each hair needs to be separate, not clumped together. Your finishes will look 100% better. The shih tzu, as a rule, doesn't have a real curly coat. Most straighten out easily when properly dried.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Could she have meant it was choppy? Or maybe she meant it makes the dog look fat or something?

Comment

I don't called it "chunky" I would call it "choppy". The coat shows lines, it doesn't lay smooth, just doesn't look nice. Don't know if that helps any. Others will come on and give a better explanation. After all Helly is back and she'll do a good job of explaining.

I did one today I would call "choppy" and there wasn't anything I could do with it unless I took him a lot shorter. He also had a lot of static in his coat that didn't help grooming him either.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

I did a shihtzu last week that was a first time client. The wife dropped the dog off and told me how she wanted it, I did exactly how she said. When she picked the dog up she loved it. About an hour later her husband calls me up and says " I wanted his hair 5/16", when I pull the hair up and measure it it is 3/4"." I told him oh,kay...can you bring him back in the morning because I am on my way out the door right now? He says no I am bringing him now! OK. So I take the dog shorter and let the closer check him out. The next morning there is a note saying it wasnt short enough. HUH? I think if I took him down with a 40 mabey they would stop saying "shorter,shorter!". Anywho, some people are never happy.

Comment

No I blow dry the coat and its straight and fluffy when Im done. No one at the clinic understands because they think the groom looks great. So I dont know. When she showed the chunky hair she just grabed a bit of excess hair so its almost like maybe she wants shaved real short to skin but then shes like not that short. Doesnt make sence to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pap lover View Post
              No I blow dry the coat and its straight and fluffy when Im done. No one at the clinic understands because they think the groom looks great. So I dont know. When she showed the chunky hair she just grabed a bit of excess hair so its almost like maybe she wants shaved real short to skin but then shes like not that short. Doesnt make sence to me.
              So many are like that. They don't know what they want, can't tell you what they want. You try and do what you are pretty sure they are talking about and it isn't ever right.

Strip it down with a 40 and have them bring it back when it grows to the right lenght! JK
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

The only other thing is to try.......

Double thinners. Try thinning sheers to blend. Other than that, she soiunds like a prob client. Maybe we need a book called " Definitions of what clients say and mean".Could Stephen write one in his spare time? Like he HAS spare time....hahaa.

Comment

Ya I would think choppy rather then chunky to. But its even and without lines. I always make sure before puting pet in kennel to wait for mom or dad to come that the cut is smooth and even I go over it several times. So its not that. I wish it was honestly then I'd understand what the lady meant. But I really dont understand. And the weird thing is she doesnt dislike the cut untill like a month after. When she comes in again and tells me she actually wasnt really happy. So I think I shoudnt fret to much although its hard not to.

Comment

Well, I understand what chunky means, but I sure can't explain it. And no, it's not choppy. It's more like the difference between a blunt cut and a layered one, only not that obvious. Chunky is the reason I use a 7 skip on most cocker coats instead of a 7F. The 7F leaves the coat chunky. I'd suggest you might try using a skip to see if that solves the problem. If using a skip gives you mental visions of gaping holes in the skin, (I know some people are deathly afraid of using a skip) try top thinning. Use your thinners on the very tips of the hair only.

Comment

Not me thats what I used on this dog only a 5 cause she didnt want that short, so she said anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X