What's the BEST...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the BEST...

...Or most unusual compliment (or gift) you've gotten from a happy customer?

since the tendency in humans is to share the negative experiences, I thought it would be fun to share some POSITIVE, and even funny client feedback. I'm sure we've ALL heard the theory (fact?) that a happy/satisfied person might tell one or two others, but an unhappy person will tell ten.... So let's try and reverse that.

I'd have to say I probably got the HIGHEST possible praise from a Black Baptist minister a couple weeks ago. I'd groomed his son's 8 month old poodle (first groom), and was talking to the owner about rescheduling, brushing, etc. He comes up and in that booming voice only a Black Baptist minister has, he called out "PRAISE JESUS! He looks GOOD!" I didn't think that would be a good moment to paraphrase the T-Shirt most of us have probably seen: "God doesn't groom dogs, and I don't work miracles." But I think the groom was all me, and not Him. Although He may well have been helping, as we all know what a nightmare an 8-month-old intact male puppy CAN be, especially if it's his first groom...and Spirit was perfectly behaved.

Just last week I had a woman drop off her pom (well, sort of pom, lol) for a rush appointment groom. She had never had a dog with hair that needed to be cut, and had no idea what she wanted. I told her that that the dog was very thick, and probably the best thing to do would be to cut it short, and start it over, as opposed to making the dog go through an undercoat removal. She said that's fine, whatever you think is best.

Honestly I am always wary to believe people when they say do whatever, because normally they don't really mean it. Just like when someone says take it as short as possible, I always say your idea of short is probably different than mine.

So anyway, I took the dog in a seven with a slightly longer head, and a lion tail. Cute dog, verrrry well behaved. When the lady walked in, she screamed, "OH MY GOSH!" She went on and on about how goooood the dog looked! She was practically crying she couldn't believe it! This lady was just so happy it really made my day! I don't think that I have ever had anyone that happy about a dog that I groomed! And you know, it was just a shavedown too, nothing fancy!
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

i have gotten box seats to a yankees game and press tickets to a mets game.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

A man gave me a $100.00 tip. He said it was the best grooming the dog had ever had. He asked me if I could give him a haircut too. I told him if he could get up on my table and wag his tail I'd do it!!lol

Comment

The Scariest One....

... is always, "That can't be MY dog!" If I have a similar-looking dog in at the same time, I get that sinking feeling for just a moment: until I hear, "She's so BEAUTIFUL!" just a nano-second (that seems like eternity) later....

Comment

i had to argue with a guy once because he didn't believe it was his dog. she came in a matted poodle and left with a short lamb clip. very cute.
            Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
            "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

"That's Keesha? I don't think that's my dog. Are you sure that's my dog? THAT is my dog? I can't believe it!" (pays the receptionist for the groom...) "Are you SURE this is my dog? Is it really MY dog?"

Keeshond that had been shaved in the past---the Master Blaster was my slave for the day and did most of the work, but she was happy.

Recently a client gave me Bath and Body works bubble bath, shower gel, lotion, and body splash---just because. It made me feel really good.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I have a family that has two moron dogs, a beagle and a lab, both howlers, whiners, wussy's, but good, just a pain. I have found if I close the door and let the one run around on the floor while I do the other it helps a lot. Well, the owners know they are knuckle heads, and after the last groom (only a beagle and a lab mind you) I got a 30$ tip, a big gift bag with a fleece blanket that says "you go above and beyond!" on it rolled up in a nylon/velcroe carry handle, a "you are the greatest" fridge magnet, a book that extoles the fabulous virtues of the receipent, a home made scrapbook type card with a printed out picture of their dogs, and a vase with a blown glass rose in it. Now, they probably just went to the local walgreens and went crazy, but never the less it took time, $$, and thought to get all the various stuff and bag/tag it for me. ---for a lab and a beagle!! 40 minutes total... too cool!!

Comment

I boarded a Yorkie who's owners were VERY nervous about leaving her. She had never been groomed or kenneled and was over a yr old (belive it or not, no matting). They came back to a happy, relaxed and well groomed (pat on back...lol) doggie. A day or so after they picked her up they came by my shop and gave me a beautiful hand carved figureine of an angel holding a dog and a small plack that said "Babysitter: one who cares for your most precious posessions." I keep it on my front desk:-)

It really made my day, especially after I had that initial nervous reaction when I saw they were back....lol
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by Ruggins View Post
                    I have a family that has two moron dogs, a beagle and a lab, both howlers, whiners, wussy's, but good, just a pain. I have found if I close the door and let the one run around on the floor while I do the other it helps a lot. Well, the owners know they are knuckle heads, and after the last groom (only a beagle and a lab mind you) I got a 30$ tip, a big gift bag with a fleece blanket that says "you go above and beyond!" on it rolled up in a nylon/velcroe carry handle, a "you are the greatest" fridge magnet, a book that extoles the fabulous virtues of the receipent, a home made scrapbook type card with a printed out picture of their dogs, and a vase with a blown glass rose in it. Now, they probably just went to the local walgreens and went crazy, but never the less it took time, $$, and thought to get all the various stuff and bag/tag it for me. ---for a lab and a beagle!! 40 minutes total... too cool!!
                    That's so sweet!
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I had a couple that have a resucue sheltie, he is a big guy and they are very protective of him and will not leave his side. This is fine by me as long as the dog behaves. Well they were not sure what they wanted done on him but they new he needed to be cooler for the spring and summer. So I suggested an long comb all over, thinning his rump feathers and chest and to shave his belly all the way up to the front legs and leave a little on each side to look like he still had full feathers underneath. They said that sounds great so we did it. I have never had clients so happy with a hair cut, they saw me at the grocerie they other day and were saying agian how much they like the way he looked now and how much cooler he was. Lots of people say thier dogs look good, but very few repeat it days later. LOL
                      I also groom two standars and their owner is always excited to see what they look like when they get home. She has started to let me do patterns on them so the last time I saw them I did the New Yorker pattern and her and her husband were so thrilled they said the dogs look great, best job I had ever done!!! Makes me feel great.

Comment

Folks don't really tip in Australia, or at least not in my part! So when people tip my grooming, I feel pretty special. I always reject it to start, "You don't have to do that," or "Oh, no, the groom was only $XX." They insist, and one lady said, "You are wotrth it!" It made my day!

Comment

This one lady had a 9 month old Australian Shepherd that was absolutely crazy. I did a B comb puppy cut, and when she saw him, she literally cried. She just didn't believe he could look so great, she just couldn't believe it. it was cute. Another lady with an English Cocker tells me I'm a genius, I just do a regular Eng. Cocker clip with a #9, so I don't really feel its that special, but the lady thinks I'm something else. It feels good, especially since people can be so hard on us at times. I did a #4 a/o on a poodle once, and the guy said "FINALLY somebody gives her the haircut I want!" I guess his previous groomers wanted to do full scissored legs and big topknots, but I was willing to listen and groom his dog his way. This job can be so much fun sometimes, thanks k9stylist for making this topic and reminding me of that, I was starting to get too hung up on the negatives.

Sherry

Comment

Greatest compliments

As a southern girl, I have battled weight most of my life, but God recently granted me the will power I need and have lost 45 lbs. I have a customer that drives @75 miles once a week for a poodle maint. and she lives directly behind a Krispy Kreme. Yep, every week I get a doz donuts. I haven't had the heart to ask her to bring strawberries or carrot sticks, so my staff and hubby get to enjoy. It is, however, a new challenge each week to see and smell the fresh donuts and not touch them. And to top it off, the poodle is a breeze!

Comment

Originally posted by imashowdog View Post
                              This one lady had a 9 month old Australian Shepherd that was absolutely crazy. I did a B comb puppy cut, and when she saw him, she literally cried. She just didn't believe he could look so great, she just couldn't believe it. it was cute. Another lady with an English Cocker tells me I'm a genius, I just do a regular Eng. Cocker clip with a #9, so I don't really feel its that special, but the lady thinks I'm something else.

Sherry
                              You know, if you do a nice cocker cut, you just might be something special!! I have been lurking a cocker site, looking for information and this one lady was just raumatised over the cut the groomer gave the dog. And I know it's just hair and it grows back, but really, this poor dog had a hula skirt on!

The best gift I ever got was from this elderly couple that I knew didn't have much money. I guess that when they booked the appointment, the other groomer said something like she didn't know if I would be working that day since it was my birthday, but that I would call to reschedule if needed. Well, I did work my birthday and it wasn't really a big deal, and I was oblivious to the conversation that had happened. Well, they brought me a sweet little figurine of a girl reaching out to a little maltese type dog, flowers and a cupcake. And to top it off, their little sheltie was always so good. I am still touched that they thought so much of me that they brought me a birthday present.

The other best gift was not tangible. There was this fun little yorkie that I loved to groom. We joked that it was forbidden to use the word cute in the salon while he was on the table because he knew he was! Well, one day I was almost done with him and soemone popped their head in the door, and said the "c" word right as I was snipping the edge of the ear. I cut him pretty badly. They took him to the vet and after they were done, they came back and the mom came in and gave me the biggest hug. When she brough him back the next month, she gave me another big hug and insisted that I was still the only one allowed to do him.

Comment

Working...
                              X