Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How late is too late?

Hi there!

I am new here and just getting into the business side of my grooming experience. I have one question:

How late is too late when a customer comes late to an appointment? I had this happen TWICE last week and it threw off my whole appointment schedule on both of those days. I find it unfair to make those who show up on time wait because the person before them was late. So...thoughts? Opinions? What do you do if this happens?

Thanks!

Either make them reschedule their appointment, or tell them since they were late you will have to work their dog in and they can expect a late pick up. I wouldn't make the people who show up on time to have to wait because of the Johnny Come Latelys.

Comment

My time limit is half an hour if they call and let me know they are running late but they will be the last dog to be done or get done in between other dogs that showed up on time. Otherwise reschedule

Comment

If they are a half hour late they will either have to reshudule or be last to be picked up. It all depends how busy I am. I've had some come in two hours after their time and I have them reshudule. Not fair to the ones on time to have to wait.

Comment

I only give them 15 minutes. After that I am subject to reschedule them. I really really don't appreciate people showing up any later then that on me and thinking its ok. Most of my clients wouldn't even acknowledge they are late and would just try and get it to slide by and say nothing at all. it really does mess up ones day, a small dog could be bathed in at 15 minutes.

Comment

Two types of late

There is the "late enough to be a concern", which for me is 15 minutes late. At that point, I want to call to make sure we do not have our wires crossed and see what is happening so that I can readjust my schedule and/or fit in another dog. Also, if the person is just getting out of bed at the time I expect them there, I will get them to reschedule.

If I do not call the person or cannot reach them, and the 15 minutes turns into 30 minutes, then I assume they have forgotten or something important has occurred that has made them miss their appointment. If another call comes in and a person wishes to bring a dog in, I may book that dog or call someone on the cancellation list, trying to fill the spot. If the originally-booked person then arrives, I can decide whether to tell them I can't do their dog due to the time problem and/or booking a dog in their place, OR I can take the dog but tell them that I can't start their dog right away and it will be finished later.

I DO treat different people and dogs differently. An easier dog has more leeway. A difficult dog requires more time and I don't like to be rushed, so I will be more likely to make that owner reschedule so that I can stay cheerful and relaxed and have an enjoyable day when tackling a tougher job. Also, if certain people are obnoxious I may be stricter with them, or if they have previously no-showed, etc.

I know of rather time-obsessive people who consider 5-10 minutes to be "too late", and give clients grief for it, but with things like traffic, family, etc., I do not worry until 15 minutes has gone by and I have not received a call.

Comment

too late depends on your shop and your schedule set-up. If you take a dog every hour or 2 then even 15 minutes is too late, but if you take a couple of dogs every 3 hours or so, maybe 1/2 an hour is too late. I usually give them up to 1/2 an hour, I figure I'm prepping and bathing the other dog, so by the time that happens I would still be ready for them at the 1/2 hour mark. Really though, if you feel it is too late, then it is too late, your shop, your schedule, your rules. If you have low tolerance for late people, a few times of having to be rescheduled and/or charged for the missed appt will either set them straight pretty fast or will force them to go elsewhere, either way it solves your problem. I am probably not the most punctual person, but I have never been more than 5 minutes late to an appt, and even at that if I am even 5 minutes behind I still call and see if it is ok. To me it is just a total lack of respect, and if you let them take advantage, they will.
              I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
              -Michelangelo

Comment

We work one on one with no bathers so after 20 minutes they reschedule.. I offer them the option of a bath and tidy rather than a full groom if there's enough time.

Comment

I usually go ahead and take them, but they are then a work in. I get them done when I can and they may be the last one I do for the day. As you said why should I be late getting pet done for a client who showed up on time for their appointment just to do the late appointment first. If it is a last appointment of the day client and the bathers are already cleaning up they get to reschedule and pay the no show fee.

Comment

I do only one at a time, so even 15 min can be too late. Over 1/2 hour is too late. Just depends on how you schedule.
                    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

yup, I generally take in dogs every half hour, so I have a sign up saying that if you're more than 15 mins late when I'm busy, you will have to reschedule. I leave the comment 'when I'm busy' cos there are days when I don't have another dog in for an hour or so, and even if they're 20 mins late I could still do them, so it's not such an issue, but my sign backs me up for when I AM busy, and I AM taking in the next dog every 30 mins, so 15 mins late is just tooo much for me to be able to catch up on again. I don't take them in unless I am not busy that day, I am NOT going to work late just to do them, or totally skip my lunch break to do them when they were late and didn't call or anything. I will reschedule them, and they'll never be late again

Comment

You have to decide that for yourself. If they throw off the schedule they are too late. If you can get caught up at some near point take them. The point is to not lose good customers over those that do not care.
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I give them 10minutes, then they have to rebook, if you give them too much time they think time doesn't really matter to you.

Comment

Working...
                          X