This isn't doggy day care!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This isn't doggy day care!

I get so many people who think that it's ok to just drop their dogs off and then not show up until closing time to pick them up. I have tried to emphasize that I book based on appt. and that it's not an all day event, but some people are just still oblivious. If they have made arrangements with me beforehand I don't have a problem, like the people who drop their dog off during their lunch break and then pick them up after work. But then I get the customers, like 1 yesterday, who drop off at 9 am., the dog is done by 12 , I call her phone and leave a msg. that the dog is ready, and then she shows up at 4:30 to pick him up! No call back asking me if it's ok that she will be late, no comment when she finally does show up, nothing. The only thing she did say when she heard him yapping was "oh, was he barking like that all day?" And I didn't hesitate to tell her "pretty much!"

And then there are the people who think it's ok to show up early for their appt, again, without pre-arranging with me. I had a woman last week call and set up an appt. for last Sat. at 2:00 for her maltese. She didn't speak English very well, but I think it's funny how some people can play up the language barrier when they need to. Anyway, I told her I didn't have anything until 2, so she says "that's the first appt. you have?" I said yes, and she says (reluctantly) "ok, so I'll drop him off at 1?". And I said "no, the appt. will be for 2". I made a bet with my bather that she would show up at 1....and guess who walked in at 1 on Saturday! And I forgot to mention that after I hung up with her I pulled her card and saw that she was a no show last time. So I was pissed about all of it. When she showed up at 1 my bather was at the tub and I was grooming a lab mix on the table who I was NOT about to put away. So I told her "I had you booked for 2, and I'm sorry but you're going to have to wait until one of us is available to check you in". She stood there for 20 minutes waiting...and I didn't feel bad!

Do any of you have a policy on early/late arrivers? How do you tactfully tell people that it is very disruptive to have their yapping dogs there all day while they go shopping?

Late Customers

Real simple. Start charging them!

I worked for a groomer who did that. Believe me, they came to pick up their dogs on time!

Comment

I dunno..you're always going to get a few that DON'T get it, no matter how you explain to them. The early bird's dog goes into a crate and I give them the same p/u time as they would have if they had shown up at the right time; I try not to reward bad behavior by getting dog out sooner, which is usually what the early bird wants ( and expects). Sorry, not gonna happen. I groom nonstop barkers straight through (to retain some sanity) and let the owner know they NEED to p/u dog as soon as done, because of the barking. If an owner continually ignores the p/u time and leaves me with the dog alll day with no apology or explanation, I stop booking them. Sounds harsh but people need to have respect for your schedule.

Comment

I guess I'm on the other side of this fence. Early drop off? Not a problem. Late pick-up? Also not a problem so long as they pick up before closing time, or make arrangements if they absolutely cannot be there by closing.

Too many people need to drop off before work and pick-up after work. Not everyone has that much time at lunch to do taxi service for the dog. I have a lot of clients who drive quite a ways to get their dog groomed, and if they want to combine the trip with running errands, do lunch, go to a movie or do some shopping, I don't have a problem with it. After all, they're driving past other shops on the way to ours.

And I don't tolerate nonstop barkers. They learn to shut up pretty fast. Sometimes they have to be reminded for a few visits, a couple of them need to be reminded every time, but they do all learn.

Comment

Helly I thinks it's amazing how much we think alike. I sure would love to have your veterinary backround/knowledge, you are a very smart person.

I do agree, as long as they are picked up by closing or premake arrangements for late pick-up usually not a big deal. I'm here for the duration of the day, whatever my hours of operation are. I make all the nonstop barker, droolers, and cage diggers (mostly dogs that can hurt themselves) what I call "express" groomings. They pay an extra charge and I keep mine and my staff's sanity.

Comment

I also do not like the ones that show up early or late picking up. I have one guy that came in for the second time at 8:15, he wasnt booked unitl 9am when I open. My door was locked and the closed sign was up but my husband was outside and knows I dont open til 9. The guy said "I have an appt. first thing this morning" and my husband told him I open at 9. But we did let him in. I love his dogs. But I still didn't start until almost 9am. I have a sign up that says "there will be a $10 late fee for dogs not picked up at the specified time" but I have never charged anyone. I feel guilty and I don't know why, they don't have any respect for my time!

Comment

I don't have an issue if someone needs to leave their dog for an extended period of time. But although I have an adequate number of cages, if everyone left their dog all day I would run out of space. I respect my customers' time and am very accomodating to people who may need to work around their work and other schedules to get their dogs here and home. What I ask in return is simple courtesy on their end. I don't appreciate when I tell a customer at drop off what time the dog will be ready and they never mention that they need to go back to work, or run errands, or what have you and that they will be back later in the day. So when I call them about their dog and it goes right to VM and I'm waiting for 5 hours wondering if/when the owner will show up, I think it's very rude. I'm sorry, but it's rude to ASSUME it's ok to leave their dog all day with me. A return call telling me they will be late is all I ask for....common courtesy which is lacking in a lot of people.

Comment

I agree with Helly. I have no problem with keeping dogs all day. A lot of my clients drop off and pick up to and from work. So they really appreciate it. Most of the time barkers tend to calm down anyway with a towel over the cage.
                Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Taking advantage

A customer of ours mentioned that at the place that they were taking their dog to be groomed clipped the dog to the wall when they were done, no caging. This idea really upset him and he has left them. I bet that is the way that groomer makes sure that her customers pick-up on time!

Comment

Question for Helly

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    I guess I'm on the other side of this fence. Early drop off? Not a problem. Late pick-up? Also not a problem so long as they pick up before closing time, or make arrangements if they absolutely cannot be there by closing.

Too many people need to drop off before work and pick-up after work. Not everyone has that much time at lunch to do taxi service for the dog. I have a lot of clients who drive quite a ways to get their dog groomed, and if they want to combine the trip with running errands, do lunch, go to a movie or do some shopping, I don't have a problem with it. After all, they're driving past other shops on the way to ours.

And I don't tolerate nonstop barkers. They learn to shut up pretty fast. Sometimes they have to be reminded for a few visits, a couple of them need to be reminded every time, but they do all learn.
                    Hey Helly how do you manage to teach these naughty pups some manners and stop that barking? Do tell, I could use the advice, we had one of those today and boy are my nerves frayed!

Comment

Originally posted by Animal Oasis View Post
                      Hey Helly how do you manage to teach these naughty pups some manners and stop that barking? Do tell, I could use the advice, we had one of those today and boy are my nerves frayed!
                      Honestly? I don't know. I've worked with other people who do the same things I do, and the dog's keep barking. Then I walk over, rattle their cage and say "QUIET" and they shut up. I guess when I say it, it's a command. When the other girl says it, it's just a suggestion.

I'm sure it's a combination of posture/body language, tone of voice, and timing. You do have to expect that they're going to obey, not just hope they do. That changes your body language and tone. And don't use the word NO, because most dogs have been taught by their owners that NO means go ahead and continue what you're doing until I get really mad.

I use "QUIET" for barkers and "KNOCK IT OFF" for diggers. And I usually start by banging two metal food dishes to get their attention. If that doesn't work, I give the cage a shake. Nothing like a minor earthquake to get your attention, lol.

Comment

I'm of the same opinion Helly is I guess. I don't mind them coming early, and I don't mind if they pick up at the end of the day (though I prefer earlier as I wouldn't like to take them for a potty walk).

If they're late it's too bad so sad because the animal hospital closes up, but if it were my own shop, if they show up after hours, they're getting charged for boarding. 5:30 rolls around, I'm gone.

Here's how it works for me:

2 slots at 8 am
                        2 slots at 10 am
                        2 slots at 12 pm etc...

So if the 10 am shows up at 8:30 am, I explain that their appointment time is at 10 am (which they are usually aware of) and that I will get started on their dog AROUND that time. Occasionally I have a slot open at noon, but the owner, due to his/her work schedule, needs to bring the dog in at 8 am. No problem, but the appt. time is still at noon, and they understand this.

I'd rather have the dog there a little early, just in case I finish with the scheduled 2 dogs a little ahead of time I can start the "early bird" before scheduled appt. time and hopefully go home early!

Perhaps upon drop off, you could ask the client if they'd like to pick up right after the dog is finished, or if they had a later time in mind. Then explain that your doggie daycare price will be added in (LOL). I'm just joking but sometimes I think people expect that it's ok to leave a dog all day. I know that when I took my dog for grooming at PetCo that I asked if it was ok to leave him all day, as I had to work, and they were ok with that. Spike wasn't ok with it, but they were and so was I. Of course, I ASKED first, and that does make a difference in the respect category.

Not everyone can come at exactly that particular time they are scheduled for, but they are CHOOSING your services, they want YOU to groom the dog, I think being accomodating to their schedule would be good for them and your business, though I know that sometimes it can be a pain in the rear.

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy1 View Post
                          A customer of ours mentioned that at the place that they were taking their dog to be groomed clipped the dog to the wall when they were done, no caging. This idea really upset him and he has left them. I bet that is the way that groomer makes sure that her customers pick-up on time!
                          That's funny, I bet some of my customers would rather see their dog hooked to a wall than in a cage! They hear cage, and they think torture!
                          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I agree...it seems like you're biting the hand that feeds you on this one...I would rethink the policy..I have all my dogs in between certain hours in the am...I have all day to get them done..take an hour for lunch, or run to pay bills, whatever....I have a window between 11 and 1 to do those things...sure is alot less stressful to me...if they are barkers or problem dogs to crate...they know in advance to arrange for pu early as possible!

Comment

Tough one!

Hello Groomers!

I had to put a stop to this one when a customer dropped off two dogs on a Saturday Morning and went to the amuzement paek with his kids. I called at 4 to see where he was....2 hours away and he got all offended that I was cutting into his play time! I close at 4 on saturdays!

I now have an all day care charge in place....$10.00 and up. I ask the customer if they want to pay the addtional fee. If not then Fluffy needs to be picked up by whatever time I specify. I don't charge for the early morning drop offs that are picked up on lunch breaks and I don't charge for the afternoon lunch drops offs that pick up after work. All day is anything over 5 hours for me.

I walk the little guys and give them a treat (if owner allows)

Doggie~Doos

Comment

Working...
                              X