Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The right questions to ask customers to get the right haircut.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right questions to ask customers to get the right haircut.

Ok so out of the 2 places I have worked for a little over two years, someone else has always taken the dogs in and I have only had the opportunity to do so myself maybe 4 or 5 times. Although the customers have always been pleased with the outcome I felt like maybe there were some more questions to ask.

Here is the list of questions I would think to ask.

What kind of haircut did you have in mind today?

About what length of coat would you like left?

Has fuzzy ever been groomed and if so how long ago?

Did you want the body and the legs the same length?

How much would you like off the face, head, ears and tail?

Are there any health problems that we need to be aware of? ie: allergies, bad hips, skin disorders/diseases?

Is there anything about fuzzies behavior that would be helpful to me? Is he/she very timid, extremely nervous or agressive?

Seeing another thread about shaving and not shaving down the length of the top of the muzzle on some dogs, would you include this in your question for Bichons, mixed breeds(cockapoos) etc. Would you like under the eyes and muzzle shaved short or left longer and fuzzy?

Does anyone ever have first time customers fill out a questionarre to include health related problems?

Does anyone ever hand out customer comment cards for feedback on what they did and didn't like about their visit and grooming experience?

If someone asks for a short cut, I will always ask, like a Chihuahua or a Lab? They usually understand that. A lot of people DO NOT know the difference between a 1/2 inch and 3 inches. I will usually say "short and fuzzy?" if they want to leave about 1/2 inch.
    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by DAPER DAWG View Post
      Has fuzzy ever been groomed and if so how long ago?
      This is a question I ask on the phone before I schedule an appointment, because it helps me determine:
      1.) If I want to groom the dog.
      2.) How much time I need to allow for the appointment.

At check-in time, I ask some of the other questions you mentioned, because it's easier for me to visualize what a client is wanting done when I have the dog in front of me. My [i]Client Information Form[/i] does include questions about health and behavioral problems.
      Sheri

Comment

Good Luck ... , many customers believe the correct response to ALL of those questions is, "be sure to cut the nails" !! LOL Also "shaved down about 2 inches long" is a perfectly legitimate request.

Comment

My favorite response is when they do the oh about this long with there fingers spread however far apart and it's a wheaton who's kinda already shorter than the fingers are spread. So you take a wild guess oh about 1/2" all over then? Yeah that's it.

Comment

Those are about the questions I ask, Daper Dawg.

ALWAYS when I start with "how would you like fluffy trimmed today?"
            The owner says, oh make it so you can see her eyes. Short around the mouth, she gets messy when she eats. Oh and the butt area, she gets messy there too. That's about it.

Hmm what about in between the head & the butt?? LOL

Comment

If the dog is a breed with a breed-specific cut, I ask the obvious question: "Do you want a (fill in breed) cut?" If they say yes, that gives me carte blanche to fix incorrect breed-profile patterns: High and long "skirts" on schnauzers/other long-legged terriers, bibs on their chests, puffy riding pants look on WFTs/Airdales, etc, long ears on bichons, etc. I'll then ask them if they want the furnishings shortened for easier pet maintenance.... The clip will then be a PET version but correct profile for that breed.

Comment

JenGroomer...you made me smile...Many, MANY years ago, I was at my first Intergroom (and first seminar)...we had a Nigel Aubrey-Jones as our guest speaker during dinner...(he was BIG in Pekingese and developed the St. Aubrey line of grooming products...old timers will remember)

Anyway..he had been in grooming forever...and he says, he had finally found the one thing that will make EVERY owner happy. Do this and they will love you!
                Well....he had a few hundred groomers at the edge of their seats waiting for the answer....

"The one thing that every owners wants? A cute face and a clean ass!"

It works every time!

namaste...dogma

Comment

I always hate when they do the finger thing and have no idea what they are talking about. I have a lot of customers that just say well you know what your doing so just do what you think is good!!! I hate that...then i'm nervous the whole time!!

Comment

that is my shpill! in a nutshell. the answers to those last two questions are no. I dont like doing them, so I figure they would not either.

Comment

Originally posted by CCDolly05 View Post
                      I always hate when they do the finger thing and have no idea what they are talking about. I have a lot of customers that just say well you know what your doing so just do what you think is good!!! I hate that...then i'm nervous the whole time!!
                      I know!!! and no one every remembers to put what they did last time on the dogs card at my new shop, so of course I never groomed this dog, and i am the only one here and they want the same as last time! and they always say I know what is best. So i end up seeing when the dog was here last, guestimating how much her hair could have grown... throw in the vauge comments the owners want and blam!! 4k, hoping it is not to short one second, then hoping it is not too long.

Comment

that is the kind of response I get as well and my answer is the same half all over and they say Yes.

Comment

lol...

Comment

For the people who say same as last time and you have no idea, look at the under eye area, feet on a poodle (if they were shaved) or even the belly hair. However much you are cutting off there, take that much off all over. They have a half inch under the eyes? Take a half inch off the legs, face and body. That SHOULD match what was done last
                            time.
                            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

this is great thread for newbies!!

i don't know how many times i have asked lots of questions and i get the answer.. I don't know, nobody has ever asked me that!

i am thinking what?? how would i even know what to do if i didnt ask!!

my sister when she got her first dog, went to petsomething and they just took the dog from her and said thanks we will call you when we are done. and thats it! no questions on what cut to do on her yorkie/shihtzu mix...... hellooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its like i am going to the doctor and the doctor just prescribes me meds without asking me what is wrong! haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X