Groomers ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomers ugh

Most use this category to complain about a client. Here's a new one. I"m really really annoyed, at how rude other groomers can be.
    I got an email from a client that was out of my area. First off I recommended her to another groomer in that area. She never called back. Ok, that's kind of excuseable, although rude. Have some common curtisy.
    Then the email read, I had to go with another mobile groomer. She goes on to explain how the groomer showed up and admitted she had never groomed a goldendoodle. The dog was 11m old and never been groomed professionally, the owner made a point to say she brushes the dog daily, but had some small matts which the groomer was able to get out, and that she tried to do her face but the dog wasn't "cooperating" so wasnt able to trim around the eyes, the dog still cant see, and that the groomer didn't really know how to do the face. How can you show up to a clients house unprepared? Wouldn't most of you admit over the phone that you hadn't groomed that breed before? And wouldn't you at least get some photos together to go by? Or show the customer? I really don't understand how some stay in business. gggrrrr..

The dog was 11 months old and never professionally groomed before? I'm not surpised that the dog wasn't cooopertive for trimming around the eyes. I also know, from experience that when a customer says they brush the dog everyday that they probably don't. I also don't know if I would be so quick to take the customer at her exact word.

Also, the goldendoodle is not a breed and has no standard of how it is to be groomed. Honestly, I didn't tell the first owner of a goldendoodle that I had never groomed one before. I went to the house, asked them what they wanted done and then groomed the dog as close to their specifications as I could. I definitely don't have a portfolio of them. I never told the owner of the first springer I did that I had never groomed one before. I never told the owner of the first of any breed that I've never groomed one before. I think the only time I would do that is if I didn't feel comfortable in my ability to groom that type of dog based on my experience (ie. if someone wanted me to do a continental on their poodle, I'd be upfront and tell them that I've never done it before).
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I completely agree with Fury, most dogs, are similar to some other type of breed. I think the groomer would have a book with them to be able to look up how it should look. In the case of a Goldendoodle or Labradoodle you have to go with what the owner wants or decide once you see the animal. I have 5 of these types that i groom and there is not much of a style to them. It is very basic IMO. I hope they get it groomed more regularly though. Once in 11 months is not enough.
      What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Remember how many times we're advised groomers here "What the vet said and what the client heard can be two very different things"? Well, keep that in mind with this situation, too.

You can't always trust that the client is being 100% honest, or that their take on the situation is 100% accurate. They might not be telling an outright lie, but they might be embellishing the facts just a little bit.

And, like Furrybestjob said, this is a big puppy getting a first groom. It's not surprising he was difficult. The groomer should have explained that first grooms don't always go according to plan...and maybe she did but the owner didn't "hear" it. Maybe the groomer told her on the phone that she'd never groomed a goldendoodle before, and the owner didn't "hear" that one, either.

And also agreeing with Furry...doodles are mixed breed dogs. There is no standard groom, and the coats vary so much from one dog to the next sometimes you just have to punt. You might groom a dozen of them that all have the same coat type and think you have it all figured out, then one will show up that leaves you thinking "Now what the @#&* am I supposed to do with this?" You just never know until you see the dog.

And honestly, even if she couldn't trim around the eyes, the dog can still see just fine. It doesn't really bother the dog. It just bothers the owner.

Comment

First off, I agree with everything Furry said. Secondly, im a little surprised that you would take this customer's word before the groomers. Especially since we(groomers) including you go through this almost on a daily basis. Oh we brush fluffy out everyday, he got matted this morning when we took him on his walk. How many times have we heard this?! So, I take a 7 to her matted mess. Can you imagine what shes going to tell the next groomer? This dog that gets brushed everyday and I had to make him naked. Its a tragedy. I would like to believe that the next groomer would see right through it.

Before I found this forum, I considered every groomer competition.Now when I think of other groomers, I consider us like a secret society. Its allowed me to be more comfortable with my work.

Comment

I would probably reserve judgement on the other groomer until I had a chance to actually meet this dog and see what he's like. I've had people call to enquire about prices over the phone for st.poos & doodles that are anywhere from 8 mos to a year old that have never been professionally groomed. They usually say they brush it at home but it does have some mats here & there, still kinda jumpy on feet, etc. I quote high and tell them I'll have to see how it goes. Trying to familiarize an 11 mo. old dog to a clipper or even scissors around his head/face can a task; maybe the other groomer called it a day because the dog was too wild & freaky? The owners have a responsibility to get their dogs used to all aspects of grooming, whether a groomer does it for them or not. JMO.

Comment

When I'm told about something like this, I try to keep in mind the philosophy that there are 3 sides to every story. Person #1, person #2, and the truth. lol If I only hear one side of the story, I try to put myself in person #2's place to get a perspective of what the truth may be.

Comment

Kim, I think you get the picture by what others have said about how the groomer handled the appointment, etc. But, I am confused. Your post started off saying "how rude other groomers can be", but what did the groomer do that you thought was rude? Also, you thought it was rude that the client did not get back to you after referring to another groomer...did you state in the email that you wanted her to call back? Maybe she just took your referral and thought she was done. Lastly, why the heck did she email you after the other groomer did the work?? Was she trying to make you feel bad, or was she thinking you should stop referring people to the other groomer? I am just soooo curious about the whole deal, LOL!

Comment

I have to agree with Furry. I groom a Goldendoodle that is about a year and a half. I finally got to give him his first grooming when he was a year. He was surprisingly very cooperative. I was shocked. His owner brushes him every single day, but can't get his back legs. Well this dog have a few pounds on her. She's a very tiny lady, she's maybe 6 inches taller than the dog.

So while not every customer tells the truth, they might be. I know for a fact the dog I groomed gets brushed every day, except his back legs. He is never matted anywhere except his back legs.

But then not everyone is honest. The customer could be lying, but then the groomer could be also. I've known some groomers to lie before. They'd make up stories or exaggerate as to what really happened to get sympathy.

To bad there really isn't a way to tell who's lying and who's not.

Like someone else suggested, you can't really place blame until you do the dog yourself.

Even then, the dog might act different for you than for the other groomer.

I used to do a Shih that was stabbed in the eye with scissors, by the vet. She had taken him to 5 other groomers since then and he was "unruly" to all of them. So the owner said. He came in with an extremely overgrown face and a short body. She said that no other groomer had been able to trim his face and they wouldn't shave it either. Well I took a sheers to this dogs face and he was a perfect little angel. Didn't flinch or anything. He was frozen. The lady came back and was in love with the dogs face. I told her that I didn't have a problem with him. So she kept coming back to me until I moved.
                  Becky

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
                    Kim, I think you get the picture by what others have said about how the groomer handled the appointment, etc. But, I am confused. Your post started off saying "how rude other groomers can be", but what did the groomer do that you thought was rude? Also, you thought it was rude that the client did not get back to you after referring to another groomer...did you state in the email that you wanted her to call back? Maybe she just took your referral and thought she was done. Lastly, why the heck did she email you after the other groomer did the work?? Was she trying to make you feel bad, or was she thinking you should stop referring people to the other groomer? I am just soooo curious about the whole deal, LOL!

I'm just guessing, but my interpretation is that SD gave a referral, and the client called THAT groomer who never returned her call. THAT is what she found to be rude, not the client... The mobile groomer she used was NOT the groomer that SD referred her to.

Comment

Kim, I would just let it roll off of your back and not bother your. Life is to short to get upset at the little things. I agree w/the others that said there is usually a big difference between what the groomer (or vet) says and what the client hears. As far as the other groomer not calling you, I don't really see why she should. Yes, it would be a nice courtesy, but I don't think this topic has ever been covered by Emily Post <grin>. I referr dogs to other groomers and vets and never get a "thank you" and I don't expect one. On the same token, I don't send out a "thank you" for every referral. What I do however is to thank for referrals in Christmas cards.....when I get around to sending them....lol
                      SheilaB from SC

Comment

I had gotten pictures of the dog via email from the client. Dog was in great condition, not groomed professionally. I guess I should have mentioned that the client has clippers and does the sani herself, and admitted there was some matts under the armpits. And the dog wont even let her get near the eyes.
                        k9stylist1968 you're correct.
                        I think its rude not to call a client back, even if you don't want the job.
                        I was just curious as to how you can show up to a clients house, admit you've never groomed this certain breed or mix. Not taking photos for the customer to look at or to reference by. The client even had pictures of how she wanted her dog to look and the groomer said no thank you it won't help anyway. Being unprepared in general. I don't care what business you're in, thats not business like.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim in SD View Post
                          I had gotten pictures of the dog via email from the client. Dog was in great condition, not groomed professionally. I guess I should have mentioned that the client has clippers and does the sani herself, and admitted there was some matts under the armpits. And the dog wont even let her get near the eyes.
                          k9stylist1968 you're correct.
                          I think its rude not to call a client back, even if you don't want the job.
                          I was just curious as to how you can show up to a clients house, admit you've never groomed this certain breed or mix. Not taking photos for the customer to look at or to reference by. The client even had pictures of how she wanted her dog to look and the groomer said no thank you it won't help anyway. Being unprepared in general. I don't care what business you're in, thats not business like.
                          OOOOOOOkay! I get it now, dur! I strongly agree with that. I understand it can be hard to call them back the same day, but not at all is quite rude.

Comment

We dont know that the groomer even got the call. Customer could have dialed the wrong number/customer might not have waited for the machine/groomer might have been messing with teh machine and accidentaly erased all messages/someone other than groomer might have checked messages or answered the phone etc... There are a lot of possible reasons why the groomer did not get back to the customer. Ive even had customers leave messages and then forget to give a return number. As far as the dog being in good condition, nobody knows that. The customer says it was and that means very little. As far as the picture goes, I could not judge how matted/or not matted a dog is judging by a picture. A picture that could or could not be recent.

Sio

Comment

Originally posted by SiotehCat View Post
                              Before I found this forum, I considered every groomer competition.Now when I think of other groomers, I consider us like a secret society. Its allowed me to be more comfortable with my work.
                              AMEN to that! :-) Though I wish "competition" who came into our salon to get pricing information would be more honest and not think that they're actually getting away with making us think they have a bichon, schnauzer, mini and std. poodles, cocker, shih tzu and wheaton at home with them. ;-)

I used to be a graphic designer and was very nervous about sharing work and techniques with other designers for fear of copyright issues and people stealing my ideas. After getting into this line of work, I'm learning more and more that I'm only going to get better if I get feedback from my peers and actually share experiences/work with others. So, thanks to all you great people out there who are teaching me new things every day! :-)

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. :-P

Comment

Working...
                              X