Ever Feel Like--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Feel Like--

you're talking to the wall? Or at least speaking some bizarre foreign language you didn't even know you could speak?

I had a client yesterday that I think I'd have been more effective telling her DOG (or the wall) what had to be done with Max. Max is a 10 month old wheaten. The owners are the "we like the shaggy cute look" type.... So Max has had a whopping total of 4 visits with me, while getting hairier and hairier. I've told them over and over that if they want to keep him long, they MUST bring him in every 2-4 weeks, which of course falls on deaf ears.

Max appears to be the intelligent one in the family, and that's not saying much, cuz Max is a total idiot!

Yesterday, Mrs G brings Max in; it's clear the family has been "cutting mats out" of one of his legs, then gave up and decided he "needed" grooming. All four legs were matted pretty solid. Mrs G actually said MAX had "chewed" the hair off that leg--riiiiiight. She asks me to "cut him all the way down" and holds her fingers about 2 inches apart. I tell her his matted legs are going to be my limiting factor as to how long I can leave Max, as they're matted pretty close to the skin. His body was in okay shape, but he'd look absolutely silly with legs 1/2-inch or less, and I'd need to take the body down to match the legs. "Oh, so you'll leave him a couple inches?" I said, I CAN, but he'd look really stupid with a fluffy body and naked legs--kinda like a footstool.

I finally ended up cutting Max with a 3/4 body and #4 legs. It blended fairly nicely, and with a short Wheaten head, I thought Max looked pretty cute. I forgot to mention, they like his face super-short (#1 beard) with the big fluffy body.... I wasn't there when they picked up, so I don't know what her response was; guess I'll find out in a few minutes.

Been there, done that...only on a different breed.

DEAF owners, surely deaf!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

So, how they'd like it?

I know exactly what you mean. I always laugh when my boss walks back to the grooming area for a comb, and says "Here we go again" lol
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

She must not have hated it, cuz I didn't get any notes to call Mrs G.... We'll see if she comes back in 3 months when Max is grown out and matted again.... If so, he's getting a 7 all over OR sent home to be combed out!

Comment

Yeah, I have a bichon that comes in that is smarter than mom and dad too, and this bichon tends to be quite hipper. He is the one I resently posted than I am sure I will have to do short next time. My younger daughter had been doing him at the vet clinic where she works and they didn't want him clipped at all, but she would have to brush him out every time, as he was matted. I will not do that. He'll get a kennel clip first, as I have done that once already. When I tell them they need to get him in more often, I swear I am speaking a language his dad just doesn't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by k9stylist1968 View Post
            She must not have hated it, cuz I didn't get any notes to call Mrs G.... We'll see if she comes back in 3 months when Max is grown out and matted again.... If so, he's getting a 7 all over OR sent home to be combed out!
            Yeah, unfortunately the only thing that sinks it in for them is a shavedown...and even that doesn't always work.
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Hehe K9 I got a good chuckle at your original post. I think most of us have customers like yours, where the dumb dog is the Einstein of the family...lol... Hit them in the wallet! If nothing else works that will usually get their attention, or chase them to another groomer..hehe
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Oh, I took a big bite out of their checking account..... :-) I'm not shy about up-charging any matted pet---or any pet that doesn't come in on my recommended schedule!

Comment

Working...
                X