How Do I Fix This--or DO I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Fix This--or DO I?

Today I groomed a new client, Daisy, a Shih Tzu.... Kinda growly at check-in, owner points out matting on shoulders, neck, belly, and legs.... Doesn't want Daisy "skinned"... I told her because of the matting, Daisy would be short but I would use the longest blade that would go through her coat--to which she agreed. Got her done with a #4 and a cute round head/face, daisy bandanna and daisy bows in her ears.....

At pick up, she commented that she's "the shortest she's ever been--but looks very cute..." Asks Dr B if she needs to get a sweater or anything.... Dr B says "If you want to, but really she's got thick enough hair, even though it's short that she'll be fine for pottying..." Mrs S oohs and aaahs about how cute Daisy's daisies are, is thrilled that Daisy behaved for me and was giving me kisses even with her there, pays and leaves.... I go back to my area, clean up, load up my equipment for my mobile job and head out....

After finishing my two mobile grooms, I check my cell and there's a message from the receptionist at the vet's.... Turns out 10 minutes after I left (and of course both Dr B and the office manager were both at lunch--and K wasn't even THERE when Daisy checked in OR out...), Mrs S had called in tears saying the haircut was absolutely NOT what she wanted, that it was WAY too short, her husband was going to have a fit, she will NEVER bring Daisy back for me to groom, and she was going to show all her neighbors how horribly I'd groomed her dog! Then half an hour later, K gets a call from another client (Mrs S's next door neighbor who had referred her to me) cancelling HER next appointment because she's afraid I'll "scalp her Cassie the same way I "scalped" Daisy. Never mind, I've groomed Cassie twice and she loved the grooms both times....

I asked Kristy for both clients' phone numbers, but what in the WORLD do I say to them? I'm prepared to offer Mrs S a partial refund (just the $10 extra time fee for the matting) but I don't think she's entitled to a full refund....

Remember, this is a brand new animal hospital, so I'm trying to build business.... Any and all advice will be appreciated--even if you say, "hey dumba$$--you shouldn't have taken the dog down with a #4!"

Cathy (putting on lots of chapstick for a good a$$-kissing session)....

You left the dog in the longest blade possible considering the mats, and had told her that at drop off time. So no, I wouldn't give her a discount or refund her groom. It's not your fault the dog had mats. She sounds like the kind of client that will be a headache to work with.

Comment

How much do you want to bet she's done this before? LOL Hold to your guns, the dog was matted. You had no control over the physco's reaction, you did a job you were proud of. If the vet hopes to keep a good groomer he will back you up.

astrordog

Comment

She'll probably come crawling back after she brings it somewhere else and they shave her down with a 7. A #4 blade on a matted coat is not very short. I have a number of shih tzu customers that are done with that blade on a regular basis. For most, they are still fluffy while being easier to care for between groomings. The fact is that the customer was not happy with the length, she didn't complain that you did a bad job, which means, imo, you did nothing wrong. We all have customers that weren't happy with what we've done, you just got a taste of one at the beginning of your journey. You'll have those that rave about your grooming. Those are the ones you want to have as clients. The woman didn't even give you a chance to respond, or rectify the problem (as it is in her eyes).
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I'd let it go, don't call either client. YOU have nothing to be sorry for, don't appologize it just makes you look wrong when you aren't. You aren't the one who didn't brush her dog and oohed and aahed over the haircut in front of the dr. If you say anything, say something like this..."Mrs. S, I'm sorry you didn't like Daisies haircut but you knew how matted she was, perhaps with daily brushing we can get her coat the length and a haircut you'll be happy with. You are also welcome to bring her every other week for a bath and brush out between groomings to make sure her coat stays healthy and matt free." Now grit your teeth and say all this with a

Comment

This client is a nutcase. DO NOT GIVE HER A DISCOUNT. Do not call these people and give them a sorry story. Move on and forget about the whole situation.
            Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

I'm confused...She oooh'd and ahhh'd when she picked up and had a sudden change of mind later?? That's weird. Yeah, I agree. You told her it would be short and that you would try to not scalp her. I wouldn't do the refund. Tell her that it will be left longer next time if she COMBS IT! I wish you luck.

Comment

I think you did just the right thing. All I do differently than you, is show them on a ruler the RANGE of length that COULD be left. I tell them to get a sweater and re-book to start the coat out RIGHT. Also, I offer to clip JUST the matted area and blend as it grows in, but no one has ever taken to that one! Maybe she was cool with it and got home and her hubby was mad, but guess what? That is an issue between them, not you.

Comment

No discount, it's not your fault the dog was matted. You discussed it when she dropped it off and that's the end of the story. Let so and so (the other lady) take her dog somewhere else. You don't need clients like that. I wouldn't be surprised if the lady that canc. comes crawling back one day. You'll have to let us know if that happens. I def. would not kiss any of their butts.

If you want to try to keep the one that had the appt. I would explain to her that the other so and so didn't keep up with her do and that the mats were so tight to the skin it had to be clipped and that you will not torture a dog for the owners vanity. Other than that you don't need daisy.

Comment

I think it is because she is worried what her husband was going to do. I would let it go. Those are not the kind of customers you want to try to make happy.

Comment

No Way would I refund her. I have a cute sign in my shop that says:
                      Please don't Keep It A Secret...
                      If you are unhappy with any thing
                      that I have done to your pet
                      PLEASE let's talk about it now before
                      you leave the shop. You will not hurt
                      my feelings and I will not be mad
                      WE will have a better relationship for it,
                      and remember it's your Pet and it needs
                      to be groomed how you want it..

Remember if your pet is matted even the
                      kindest words can not change the fact
                      that we kept it as long as possible with
                      only the comfort of your Pet in mind

This sign has helped alot and because we are all honest with eachother no one goes home mad (I Hope)
                      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                      Nancy

Comment

Agreed!!!!! DO NOT offer this lady even a partial discount! You did a honest day's work for honest pay and that is what you should get. I would probably call the lady (be polite but not a suck up) and tell her you thought she understood the reason the dog had to go so short was because of matting, that if she keeps the dog combed out in the future you (or another groomer) can do the cut she wants. Leave it at that and hope she goes elsewhere next time...lol The only reason I would call back is to satisfy MY professionalism, not to try to keep her silly self as a customer. As far as the neighbor? Forget about her. Nothing you would say to her would change her mind, it would only make it look like you were desperate. Shake it off, you will have a chuckle about people like this when you have more mileage under your belt!
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Absolutely NO refund, discount or whatever. You explained to her what you were going to do prior to clipping the dog. Yes, it had to be short because of matting but BRUSH your dog. Choices in my salon are short, brush, pay me to brush if possible or move on to another salon. Sorry Charlie. You were upfront with what was going to be. The haircut wasn't a BAD haircut, just a short haircut, keep that in mind!! The only thing I could think of for the future is to give a choice to take home and brush it out themselves and reschedule for the desired clip. You did nothing wrong.

Comment

I agree with everyone else; no discount, no refund. If you decide to call lady #1, I'd just tell her you thought she understood that due to the matting you'd have to clip the dog, and it would be shorter than she might have liked. I'd also explain that you told her you'd leave it as long as possible, and that's what you did.

Lady #2 is a bit trickier. You can't ethically discuss lady #1, the groom she got, or why she got it. You might say you're sorry she cancelled her appointment and ask if she's been dissatisfied with the grooms she's had in the past, and take it from there. If she says she's afraid you'll skin her dog, ask her if she feels that you've skinned the dog in the past, and assure her that if Fluffy is in good shape, there's no reason you'd clip her short unless she requests that you do.

Comment

Boy

Sure makes me think of having something for owners of matted dogs to sign before they leave. Stating that they know the dog is matted and will be shaved if necessary and how long.
                              I think I might write something up for these occasions.

Comment

Working...
                              X