Kennel/Vet groomers Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennel/Vet groomers Help

For those of you who run a grooming dept out of another established pet business would you be willing to share how you have things set up on the business side of things. Are you an employee or IC (I know IC is another whole ball of trouble). Due you pay a % of sales a flat rate of rent? Who schedules appointments? Who provides what? Anything else helpful you can think of.

I have an opprounity to start grooming at a kennel and they have left it up to me to present options of how I want to work. Independent or employee. So i am trying to figure out the pros and cons of each to be able to present a more coherent plan.

I'm getting to start fresh so want to get a much "right" from the start as I can. Thanks

vet grooming

i worked at a vet, i got 60 % commission after 3 yrs. he paid for shampoo, cond. dryers. I paid for everything else. bows,band, colonge, equip maint.,etc. the receptionist set appts and took pmt. i set my own hours and left when i was finished. did not have to stay for last dog to be picked up. I did not pay rent or table space. there was no advertising done. If you do i would split that, depending on your cut.

Comment

IMO I think it's in your best interest to be an employee. As an IC you have soooo many things you have to provide. Beside the obvious, you have to provide your own phone, advertising, insurance. The vet or kennel is essencially your landlord. It's not much different than renting a building. And if you're an IC you have to deal with the IRS, making sure everything is on the up-and-up.

I used to work for a kennel, now I work for a vet. My take is 50% right now. They provide just about everything but my personal tools. I do the work, collect my paycheck, and go home. I don't have to worry about paying any bills other than my own (at home). I don't have to worry about the IRS. I don't have to worry about insurance or advertising. The vet hospital does all of that.

Ok, so maybe I'm getting old and lazy. But it sure seems a lot easier to be an employee than an IC to me.

Comment

I know it's kind of late but thought I'd throw this out. My situation is the same as Helly's.

And I agree, it's a good situation. It has it's issues, but they're relatively minor. I work, I go home, and I collect my paycheck every 2 weeks. Period.

The receptionists make my appointments, but I check in and out all dogs, though I wish they'd check OUT the dogs. That was my fault, I trained them that way, lol.

I provide my personal tools, the animal hospital provides everything else, along with a yearly christmas party, river rafting trip, free exams and vaccines, heartworm tests, heartgard, and 1/2 price surgeries/dentals.

Best deal in town!

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I groom at a vet as well. There are very minor issues, but overall, it's a good place to work and Doc is good to me. He provides tub, towels, shampoo, table--the big stuff. He gave me a higher percentage commission for me to provide bows, bandannas, fragrances, etc. Plus I get free exams and 50% off services (gosh, that was nice when my Chow obstructed last winter!). I get to set my own prices, leave when I'm done. My co-workers are awesome. The receptionist & Tech (it's a small practice) make my appointments for me. All in all, I gotta say it's a good situation. And just because I want to, when I can, I help them where needed. They scratch my back, so I try to scratch there backs. I'll hold while they're drawing blood, help them lift a pet, etc.

Linda

Comment

Working...
          X