Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

No drama here, well that's today. But I found out I will be the one taking the kids, friends of kids, grandkids, out on Halloween under my supervision. Sounds fun, but after a day grooming, sigh. I will get into it.

Bling I am so glad you are OK, that is a fright. What a jerk! People that shoplift make us all pay more.

Post 48 moderator
    Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 09-11-19 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by violet2 View Post
    OMG what a day. But something else you said groomer wise....on those cockers that can take forever to dry, which fast dry product works best if you use one?
    None lol. Nothing speeds up a cocker drying IMO, besides just plain old elbow grease getting them clean. That's the key. You can use any fast drying stuff you want but it won't work if they aren't clean. I spend more time washing this particular cocker than I do drying him. Where I can normally bathe a dog in five minutes or less, he takes me nearly 40 to get him clean. It's crazy how dirty and greasy he gets.

Post 49 moderator
    Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 09-11-19 at 11:37 AM.

Aww Bling-hope you are doing ok.
    Cockerlvr-hope you had a nice dinner and a fifth of whiskey to celebrate the end of a frustrating day.
    Kyionai- you are right. Follow your dreams. And be sure to keep us posted on how things are going!
    I kind of dread my today. Starting with a young female husky. Shakes off the bath water as quickly as I get it on her. I get drenched, my floor gets drenched. I actually keep a shower cap on hand so I don't get the filthy water all over my hair! And she is very silly.
    My other groom is a new client who has been adopted and returned. Looks like there is some chow in her, packed coat. Should be a great balancing act to stay calm and yet be on high alert.

Post 50 moderator
    Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 09-11-19 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    None lol. Nothing speeds up a cocker drying IMO, besides just plain old elbow grease getting them clean. That's the key. You can use any fast drying stuff you want but it won't work if they aren't clean. I spend more time washing this particular cocker than I do drying him. Where I can normally bathe a dog in five minutes or less, he takes me nearly 40 to get him clean. It's crazy how dirty and greasy he gets.
    40 minutes bathing. WOW! I cannot imagine....do you add to your grooming charges to compensate for this above normal time? It would be fair. How much coat does he have?

Post 51 moderator

Smile

Well yesterday was pretty average and today looks to be the same so far. It's a good thing because next week we start confirming all of the December grooming appts and the week before Thanksgiving appts. I have got an extra bather for the holidays this year. If we cannot do full grooms we can at least keep our extra bather very busy.

Bling you must be feeling sore today? What a terrible thing to happen to good people.
    Tabby, how did the motor replacement go? Did you buy the motor from the original company. How much are they apprx?
    Dogma when I was in WA a few weeks ago my friends in S Puget said much of the growth there again is CA movers. Those large warehouse shipping distribution centers have added thousands of jobs. We went down south to get to Mt St Helens and wow they have added lanes to freeway, big growth coming. They are moving down to Rochester....construction everywhere.

Post 52 moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    40 minutes bathing. WOW! I cannot imagine....do you add to your grooming charges to compensate for this above normal time? It would be fair. How much coat does he have?

Post 51 moderator
    Yes, absolutely charge more for him. He doesn't have that much coat as far as length, he gets a seven all over his body (no skirt) and a number one comb on his legs. Ears with a zero comb. It's just the denseness of his coat. I de-shed his back in the tub and get a lot of hair out, and he's one of the few dogs who I used two motors on with the k-9 II but I can blow it out for five straight minutes (just his back) and when I go to clip him the coat is still very damp underneath. I've been in cockers for over 30 years now and have never come across a coat like his.

Post 53 moderator
    Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 09-12-19 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    Yes, absolutely charge more for him. He doesn't have that much coat as far as length, he gets a seven all over his body (no skirt) and a number one comb on his legs. Ears with a zero comb. It's just the denseness of his coat. I de-shed his back in the tub and get a lot of hair out, and he's one of the few dogs who I used two motors on with the k-9 II but I can blow it out for five straight minutes (just his back) and when I go to clip him the coat is still very damp underneath. I've been in cockers for over 30 years now and have never come across a coat like his.
    Wow what a chore but imagine if they kept him full coated. Nightmare on Cocker Street.

Been finishing the prep for the holiday appts. Most of our customers are in our appt program so they are set but now we confirm. I have a powerful, overwhelmingly good feeling this is going to be a great holiday season. That's why I got the extra bather arranged. I just feel really good something is about to change good for all of us in Fall and it will mean even more business. Yes, take that as a prediction from Brit LOL, but it's true.

Post 54 moderator
    Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 09-12-19 at 03:30 PM.

This looks fun.

Today we have 18 dogs on our monthly plan for daycare. Most come every day Mon-Fri. The little ones are usually separated from the others. Some customers love that so they get more one on one session time. We separated our our outdoor area into 4 field areas. Walking only of our little ones. Something similar to that with some larger dogs that don't socialize well. And 2 areas for the rompers. It's been fun but you have to stay on your toes observing.

Our dishwasher broke down today where we do the dog bowls. Mice evidence showed up again in our storage area but they were just looking. All the food stock we keep which isn't a lot is now stored inside in old fashioned metal garbage cans. Nothing gets through that. And then there is the "kitty" that shows up to terrorize them.

We are on the road to Hershey tomorrow for a break. First time leaving the business in employee hands. Nervous but confident...enough confidence at least. We did some test drives letting them run the place a couple times without a lot of issues.

Post 55 moderator
    Last edited by GroomerTALK Coordinator; 09-12-19 at 03:31 PM.

I have had a nice slow day today. Last December, my grooming shop burnt to the ground. I was hired on by our local vet clinic to try to stir up business there, but missed having my own place. This week, my husband was finally able to clear away the last of our burn out ( we live on a farm in a rural area, so he was busy with other things and wasn't in a huge rush! ) We have decided to rebuild the shop and I've been like a kid in a candy store lately, looking up and buying all the necessary equipment! Looking at flooring now....hoping some of you have some awesome ideas that I haven't thought of yet!

Post 56 moderator

Today is Friday here ahead of everyone back home. I have become quite the beach walker. From not having a life by the ocean to then having one these past months is life changing. I guess I am just reminiscing a lot on my day off. Not much for baking the bod on the beach but walking it is great. I usually find of the dogs around here to take with me. Will miss them when heading back to USA. Grooming gave me a new life taking me to Australia and it looks like I will end up in Hawaii on the water of course!

Post 57 moderator

I've been tire shopping something to handle the winter rains and ice for the mobile unit. Looks like $800 will cover it. I am always thinking in terms of grooms. So about 11 grooms. I felt like telling the guy selling me that I cannot go above 12 grooms!!. No more than 12 grooms, that is my spending limit! Can you imagine what he would think?

Post 58 moderator

You too! That is the way I often think. That clipper is 4 grooms, I will take it! Well that's how I look at getting another hydraulic tub. About 60 grooms to 70 grooms.

Post 59 moderator.
    WINNING POST for number 59.
    Coldnose wins 25 extra tickets in the drawing for the grand prize. Congratulations.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast