Default New to this forum

Hello my name is Steve and am an owner of a Coton Du tulear.

I have no desire to be a professional groomer, but am happy to support those that are in the biz.

Just wanted to learn people's take on various dog breeds as I think groomers
    get a better handle on temperament that most dog behaviorist. Who knows
    when I will be in the market for a next dog. Just wanted to learn which breeds
    are neurotic, calm, etc... and thought you all would be very knowledgeable.

thanks

Steve

Hello MrSteve
    You don' say what you are looking for, but here is my 2 cents worth.
    For calm it's hard to beat a Newfoundland. But they're big. And hairy. And they drool. And you will be hooked and want two.
    Terriers are incredibly busy, and often use their smarts to outsmart you. You have to look at the whole name of the breed. An Airedale is not and Airedale-it's an Airedale Terrier. Yorkshire Terrier. And so on. Fun loving, funny, and frustrating.
    Herding breeds are smart and need lots of exercise, both physical and mental.
    Poodles are not fru-fru dogs. Scary smart, fun loving, and snuggly. You will want three.
    Some breeds are easy going and funloving and get along with everyone-like Labrador and Golden retrievers. Some are more aloof and/or bred as guard dogs. Many or gorgeous dogs, but they are not for everyone.
    And of course within each breed each dog is an individual , so your results may vary.
    Highly recommend getting a copy of the AKC New Complete Dog Book. They give some honest insights into breed temperament instead of the "I don't want to offend anyone" garbage some of the websites put out.

Hello MrSteve.
    I’ll be back. I love questions like this. Plus I can recommend a book that might help.
    In the mean time, I answered your Wheaten question over in the Terrier Grooming thread.

Poodlefeet. LOVED your take on the breeds. “Poodles...you will need three”. You make me laugh. “Scary Smart” describes them SO WELL, which is the reason I will NEVER have another one. I just can’t live with a dog smarter then me!!!

MrSteve. (Get a cup of coffee. This is going to be long!)

The book I would recommend is “The Right Dog For You” by Daniel Tortora (Choosing a breed that matches your personality, family and lifestyle)

My book is from the 1980’s so it doesn’t have all the current purebred dogs in it. I believe this book was out of print for awhile. While checking on that I noticed that I did find it again on the internet. New book cover, so perhaps updated with the new breeds? Or perhaps just a re-print of the original with new cover. (Mine has a yellow cover with Wheaten puppy on the cover)

Lots and lots of quizzes in the book. Lots and lots of information. Lot of “you might not want that breed if you are...”

Years ago we all took the quizzes at work. It was spooky how accurate it was on the breeds we prefer.

I’m an introvert. So, for instance, breeds that demand my attention, can’t live without me, need them to ‘give them a job’, drive me crazy. While those breeds are great for other folks, and I recommend them often, I prefer a dog that waves to me from the couch when I get home instead of bowling me over with a “OMG!!! Your Home!!! Your Home!!! Your Home!!!”

The book addresses subjects such as the above.

Another option is to get an old dog. There are breeds I could never live with in their young form, but that I adore in their old form. I showed Bull Terriers for a guy and adored them. I knew I didn’t have the lifestyle or time for a “60 pound Jack Russel” as I would tell people. Strong dogs with a high energy level. My solution....I got Bullies that were “10 years old or older”. PERFECT! They would sleep 90% of the time, but could still easily go for an hours walk.
    Yep, only had them for a few years each. I had three over the years. I would have them still but I’ve gotten where I can’t lift a dog that size anymore. (The older I get the smaller my dogs get.)

I find that most of the breeds people get that are “hyper” are just dogs that are underexercised. They get a breed that is bred to run and hunt ALL DAY and then wonder why they have So Much Energy!!! Well, you let them out in the morning for 10 minutes. Your gone all day, 8-12 hours. Get home. Let the dog out for 10 minutes. Try to get dinner on the table, help with home work, etc etc. Dog is lucky if it gets a walk longer then 20 minutes. And then they wonder why there dog is “so hyper”. It’s like asking a 2 year old human to sit still and behave for hours on end. It isn’t going to happen.

These people would be happier with an OLD version of the breed. But Wow! Try to talk people into that. They all want a puppy and then complain to me that “this dog has So Much Energy”.
    Take a page from my life and really consider an older or old dog of the breed you are considering. If all the other traits match up, this will give you some wiggle room.

I will mention a disclaimer. I adore Basenjis and Cattle Dogs. Even a 12 year old Cattle Dog still has too much energy for my current life. I just enjoy them with extra hugs at the shop.

Just a mention on socialization. It might not have been your dog in particular, but dogs in general these days. Dogs don’t have good dog manners anymore. And people prevent them from teaching each other good manners.

In the Old Days, dogs were turned out into the neighborhood to spend the day. Young dogs were taught, in no uncertain terms, that you don’t come rushing up to an unknown dog. The youngster would get a snarl and a snap. “Stop with your pushing. Proper behavior is to approach respectfully, sniff, circle, and be accepted”. When dogs are rushed upon, they will often respond with a lesson and people misinterpret that to mean their dog is aggressive or undersocialized. In fact, if a stranger ran up to US and bounced off our chest we would react the same way our dogs do. It’s amazing how tolerant dogs really are!

I’ve worked with people that field trialed their hunting dogs. No problem. Lots of exercise. Calm dogs. Great family pets. When they stopped hunting with them they were still good dogs. Of course, by this time they were ‘older’, about 5 years. The up and coming pups were now being trained.

I’m not going to suggest any particular breed to you. You will do the research and discover what works best for you. What we encounter in the groom shop is different then actually living with that breed. (Havenese are incredibly barky at my shop but their owners love how smart they are. All I see is a noisy dog. They see a loving companion)

I think your incredibly smart to ask questions. So many people think that “A dog is a dog is a dog”...and if it’s difficult it’s because it “wasn’t trained”. They never figure out that they chose the wrong breed FOR THEM.
    They pick a breed because it’s beautiful or cute or is the current thing to have...never thinking that a Pug might be the ideal breed for them.

I once had a young man client say about his young energetic Husky “Don’t ever get a dog just because it has blue eyes. I made a mistake. This is too much dog for me”

Do come back MrSteve and let us know what you end up with. So many possibilities out there. I know you’ll find the perfect dog FOR YOU.

Go Dogma

Welcome to the board MR Steve

MrSteve good question and Dogma said wonderful review. I have found that breeding is important. Even if a breed is known for a certain behavior wow can breeding change that by some people. I don't want to open a big issue here, but once you choose that breed also choose the breeder.