Thread: Tub racks

Smile Tub racks

How high above the tub floor is your rack? We bought one and it is about 1/2 inch high and I find at times the paws are in some standing water. Our drain is perfectly clear but maybe slower. So it slows us down. I am looking for a rack about an inch high and not finding much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin' View Post
    How high above the tub floor is your rack? We bought one and it is about 1/2 inch high and I find at times the paws are in some standing water. Our drain is perfectly clear but maybe slower. So it slows us down. I am looking for a rack about an inch high and not finding much.
    Check out direct animal. They are amazing racks
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I second that recommendation.

I used a thick sheet of plexi glass leaving a gap around the edge for drainage.
    How you fashion the feet or method to provide elevation can be as simple as
    blocks or as complicated as you like. A slip proof mat on top of that so the
    animals aren't afraid of slipping around. Easy to clean light weight strong enough
    I can stand on it. Don't leave sharp corners or edges. The trick to cutting plexi
    is to use wax on the cutting blade and WD40 on the plexi so the blade doesn't
    stick to the plastic when the blade gets hot on the tool you cutting with.
    There's also a fine tooth blade just for cutting plastics if using a jig saw.

How heavy of plastic plexi. 1/4 inch at least I would think maybe twice that???

Yes 1/4 it's lasted 10 yrs so far. I did find out after ,people who make commercial signs can get it in 1/2. They tried to talk me into Laxan but I didn't want to risk it at the time. Every time I have broken Laxan it was a really loud bang or pop. It's also harder to get in thick sheets the price on thick laxan. Well they sure are proud of it. Too proud for experimenting at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yes 1/4 it's lasted 10 yrs so far. I did find out after ,people who make commercial signs can get it in 1/2. They tried to talk me into Laxan but I didn't want to risk it at the time. Every time I have broken Laxan it was a really loud bang or pop. It's also harder to get in thick sheets the price on thick laxan. Well they sure are proud of it. Too proud for experimenting at the time.
    Thanks for the info!

Do you round the corners and smooth the sides?

Yes they are rounded off at the corners and the edges are sanded with sanding sponge
    If you want you can even use a heat gun lightly to remove the scratches from sanding the edge
    Practice on scrap pieces with the heat gun. It's just heating the outter most skin
    of the plexi where it is dull from sanding. I left a small hole in each corner to lift
    the sheet up really needed two. One on each side in opposite corners to lift it up
    for rinsinging and cleaning the tub and or shelf.

Great info Doug, this is news to me.

I found a plex place and may test one out.