Wow Surprise Statistics?

Later today we are releasing a large survey of EMPLOYED GROOMERS ONLY, over 1,000 of them. Here is just a bit of statistics that might surprise you.

1) .....42% of the surveyed groomers and bathers indicated their employers used “poor grooming products” or “unacceptable products” even to the point some employees provided their own products at their expense. On the extreme end 4% indicated they might quit over the grooming products provided by their employers. Boom! When allowed to explain their reasoning in their own words, some noted that were provided only with dish soap such as Dawn for the standard grooming shampoo.

2) Only 18% responded that their personal workstation and the surrounding environment was good or better. Even the moderate rating got only 35% support. Almost one-half of the survey participants (47%) rated their workstation and surroundings as “poor, enough to consider quitting their job.” Whoa! ...... The most popular explanations of this discontent was deficient equipment including air conditioning (42%), excessive cell phone use by other employees distracting their grooming (39%) and distractions from talking and personal radios of other groomers they worked around (38%). Even more reasons for discontent were responded upon, such as deficient plumbing, electrical or lighting. Other noise factors arose such as street noise and excessive barking, traffic patterns and space design issues which apparently distract them from their focus on grooming.

3) 36% of surveyed participants said their employers either do not give them ANY tips from customers, or the employer keeps a share of those tips for the business.

4) Twenty-two percent said they were looking for another job because supervision was “unacceptable.”
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

I had an employer keep all the tips, I left. One place I worked had only 1 cheap shampoo, no conditioners no nothing.

I am surprised by the products but there are places that mostly use Dawn. That would drive me nuts.

I don't allow any personal radios at the groomer stations. Nothing but a PITB because with 3 groomers at least 1 always hates the music of the other. I am about to have a no cell phone policy. They can use them on breaks and lunch. If there is a family emergency going they can let me know as an exception.

I work hard to keep my groomer happy and make sure to ask her monthly if there is anything (within reason) I can do to make her work area better for her, if she wants different equipment, scissors, tools, etc. Thankfully we are extremely similar with our needs...I’m actually much more high maintenance than her; she is very simple with her needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pets pick up on body language. This report is sad because not only are so many employees unhappy, they may be passing that unhappiness on to dogs, not to mention passing it on to everyone in their life.

Ok I finally ready the whole survey in the magazine last night. The conclusion is right on in my thinking. The worst of things and disparity of groomers is in the groomer owned shops. Not all of them, not mine. I take care of my place. No 1099. But all those problems in the shops seem to happen worse in the 1099 shops. Very excellent survey and explanation. Impressive. I agree on the future outlook and it is not all bad Emma, but surely you are right in some shops.

Well I shared some of the sentiments of those challenged and dismayed groomers. I worked a couple crazy shops and was wondering at the time is this the way they all are? Terrible management. No fun to work at and being the newbie I was taken advantage of.

I wonder how shops that are run this way can turn out a good product consistently to keep customers coming back. I love working from home and being alone because I trained in a shop with other groomers and know how little things like described above can become unbearable.