Offended People that say they scheduled and walk in demanding appt

What the heck. I don't normally get some loonies but twice in the last couple weeks. We are booked solid 2 weeks in advance now that May is here. This new customer declares that she booked for 10am today a week ago, and was told to be here early. Now we do that with new customers for paperwork. I explained we don't have her scheduled. She starts in she knows the vet down the street who recommended us...yeah that happens. Then she mentions the name of one of our regulars. I thought maybe she is right. Of course she is leaving town this weekend and must have Boris groomed. I told her I will work her in it will take longer. I did it but I had a stinking feeling she was good storyteller. I called the "regular" whose name was dropped and you know what, she said that is Agnes. You can't believe a thing she says. She lives in the mobile home park where I live. I told her about you but anything else may not be true. She is harmless but a pain in the butt and just not all here. Oh great.

We have had this problem rarely at the 3 locations but it happens. What we do now for NEW just NEW customers is we assign them a new customer service order number. My receptionist then prepares a package of paperwork like our brochure, a release and hold harmless form and thank you for trying us form. She puts the new customer service order number on it. We make it really nice for new customers.

So if this customer came in "pulling a number" we ask can you tell us the appointment number you were given when you booked the appointment. Of course they never heard of it if they are faking it. Ta Da, they are pulling the wool over our eyes. We are glad to book them another appt.

We sometimes have people who come in and say they have an appointment, but they are at the wrong salon. We have XXX Boulevard and XXX Street in our town. My salon is on XXX Boulevard, across the street from Food City grocery store. To make things confusing, there is another grooming salon near XXX Street, and near another Food City store, so we often get their customers, and I think at least one of mine went to them.

A couple times people have shown up claiming they have an appointment with me, but the details didn't add up. Booked on a Saturday when I'm not even open to answer calls, or the one who insisted she booked with my business name, but quoted the other home groomers number.

Some people will try anything. Usually holidays we get that almost every year. I haven't had the other salon mix up yet but makes sense ABDG. This is something we just deal with but what is worse? I have not time for and only happened a few times. I learned the signs. They come in and I know a good groom and they make a scene, that is not what I asked for, get louder. I took the order I know we delivered. Last one was slurring her words. Eyes looked dilated. I will let them go, too many crazies, but we will never groom them again.

We have had this happen. In some cases it could be true but since I have at least 2 other groomers most every day besides me, we work them in.