Not Worthy Plus & Minus of being employed by mobile versus shop

Assuming I am going to be employed I never read of the advantages or not of being a mobile employee compared to a shop salon type place. Any advice?

Yes, if you are a new groomer, you should not work mobile. You really need shop experience I believe before venturing out alone in a mobile van. Working with other experienced groomers helps where school left off. Gain the experience and speed there, then mobile would be something to think about. My mobile groomers really don't make more commission than my shop groomers. Tips are way better in mobile. That's the difference. Shop groomers tend to do more grooms vs mobile due to driving time.

I was employed as a shop groomer and slowly moved into mobile. The few years in shop gave me more experience. But then I went mobile and love mobile.

I was a mobile employee. Actually grooming fewer dogs was better on my wrists and tips were great. Later had wrist surgery but again was able to get back to work earlier with mobile since I only did 5 a day and in a shop they wanted or expected 8 a day or more with a bather. So mobile was very good for me. Driving didn't bother wrists. I very much enjoyed being alone too after having worked at some crazy managed businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
    Yes, if you are a new groomer, you should not work mobile. You really need shop experience I believe before venturing out alone in a mobile van. Working with other experienced groomers helps where school left off. Gain the experience and speed there, then mobile would be something to think about. My mobile groomers really don't make more commission than my shop groomers. Tips are way better in mobile. That's the difference. Shop groomers tend to do more grooms vs mobile due to driving time.
    Well said Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Anything But Dull View Post
    I was a mobile employee. Actually grooming fewer dogs was better on my wrists and tips were great. Later had wrist surgery but again was able to get back to work earlier with mobile since I only did 5 a day and in a shop they wanted or expected 8 a day or more with a bather. So mobile was very good for me. Driving didn't bother wrists. I very much enjoyed being alone too after having worked at some crazy managed businesses.
    Agreed. I don't have any major issues and taking the strong curcumin turmeric is amazing on my joints that are not even aching. I can tell the difference. Natural anti inflammatory. Back to topic I am cutting back to smaller pets 50 pounds under.