Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

To have many clients that take little to no care of their dogs? I've had teeth fall out while holding chin fur, found punctures, a laceration, and open wounds, eye ulcers that the owner wasn't aware of, infections, and infestations. That's just since January of this year, and the spring rush is just starting. These aren't OAY dogs, and I'm definitely not the cheapest groomer in town, so I'm wondering if this is just the norm?

Teeth I can understand to a certain degree due to cost, but I've had a client say to me they'd rather buy a new puppy, than spend the money on dental for their current dog. I literally couldn't think of a response in the moment, and about such a sweet dog.

I'm also shocked the lack of interest in seeking vet care. I found an infection a bit before Christmas that by new years had become so bad, the owner had to get the dog put down. This was a bump that initially ruptured (not by me), and by the next groom smelled awful and leaked pus (sent home when found). Didn't seek vet care until he got so sick two weeks later, they had to put him down.

Anyway not supposed to he a rant, but I am feeling a bit down about these dogs lately. Best I have been doing is being more insistant about vet care before the groom can get done. Just sad to have to deal with.
    Last edited by Jenni89; 04-15-19 at 08:13 PM.

No, definitely not normal.

For most, it's affordability for vet care. Vet prices have skyrocketed in the last few years and clients are aware of issues but put it off due to cost, especially teeth cleaning and care. I make the client aware of any issue and it's up to them. I don't like to press the issue or shame anyone. Clients will accept a lecture from a vet doctor, not a groomer. We actually lost clients due to groomers shaming clients about the lack of care of their dogs.

Probably depends on your location and target clientele. cockerlvr says its not normal for them, but we are somewhat used to some of these things in our shop. You can't make the owners take care of their pets correctly, you can only try and educate them. Maybe 50% of our clients actually follow up with vet visit when we tell them about ear infection, for example. A couple months ago we found to deep puncture holes on the neck of a very sweet pit bull. Turns out it was from the shock collar. These were starting to fester it was horrible.

Maybe it's that I'm just too nice. Or maybe it really is where I live. Shame or lecture the owner? No. But I am honest about the issues and their limitations. To be fair many can be good about that, and even take my suggestions into consideration. However, even yesterday I had to stop a groom on a little dog. He is in so much agony from his hips, but when I brought up the option of pain medication to try for the groom, I got some long story about how the "good stuff" isn't sold anymore, only humans get pain meds that actually work, and it's bad for dogs to be on that stuff anyway. Oh, and he only mock bites, so not to worry. Really?

I told him I am not going to muzzle his dog just to get him groomed, when I know he hurts so bad. That's basically asking me to knowingly cause unecessary pain. Maybe he can't afford the vet, but in this case I won't continue services unless he finds a solution. Sorry if that comes off as frustrated....he was VERY pushy. I should have recorded his dog crying for him to make my point.

I'm not saying that people don't neglect vet care, I definitely see that, but not the cavalier attitude about just getting a new dog, or waiting until the dog literally is PTS. I have a maltese whose owner is perfectly capable of affording a dental, but she shut me down in a New York second when I said her dog could use some dental care. She did not want to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni89 View Post
    To have many clients that take little to no care of their dogs? I've had teeth fall out while holding chin fur, found punctures, a laceration, and open wounds, eye ulcers that the owner wasn't aware of, infections, and infestations. That's just since January of this year, and the spring rush is just starting. These aren't OAY dogs, and I'm definitely not the cheapest groomer in town, so I'm wondering if this is just the norm?

Teeth I can understand to a certain degree due to cost, but I've had a client say to me they'd rather buy a new puppy, than spend the money on dental for their current dog. I literally couldn't think of a response in the moment, and about such a sweet dog.

I'm also shocked the lack of interest in seeking vet care. I found an infection a bit before Christmas that by new years had become so bad, the owner had to get the dog put down. This was a bump that initially ruptured (not by me), and by the next groom smelled awful and leaked pus (sent home when found). Didn't seek vet care until he got so sick two weeks later, they had to put him down.

Anyway not supposed to he a rant, but I am feeling a bit down about these dogs lately. Best I have been doing is being more insistant about vet care before the groom can get done. Just sad to have to deal with.
    That comment on the puppy is gross. Making excuses because they are in lack at the expense of the animal, makes me very sad.

How are the vets in town? Do they have a bad reputation? People make decisions for a reason.
    In nyc, my clients are usually very concerned about their pet's health.
    Something is not making sense here. They pay for a good groomer, more than once a year, but are comfortable living with a wounded dog, or a dog with rotting teeth?
    Why aren't the vets doing something about this? Trying to establish a low cost clinic maybe?
    Have you spoken with any vets about what you see?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    How are the vets in town? Do they have a bad reputation? People make decisions for a reason.
    In nyc, my clients are usually very concerned about their pet's health.
    Something is not making sense here. They pay for a good groomer, more than once a year, but are comfortable living with a wounded dog, or a dog with rotting teeth?
    Why aren't the vets doing something about this? Trying to establish a low cost clinic maybe?
    Have you spoken with any vets about what you see?
    It's weird because there is one vet that has a bad reputation, but the rest are great. Some people complain about prices, but that's nothing unusual. I am located from some smaller community vets that charge less for many things too, but it's like that's not a priority for many?

The vets that I have talked to seem to share my sentiments at least. They offer credit options, but nobody does payment plans anymore because they've been burned by their clients. The SPCA is the only place to get low cost care, but that's only for spay/neuter.

I actually have a "breeder" who comes in every couple of months. Wants a cute cut but the dogs eyes are horribly crusty (I do offer to do eyes for free between grooms so no excuse there), and rotten teeth. BYB for sure, as she has admitted the smaller male has issues but because people think he's cute she usually uses him to breed. Little off topic, but that's the one that had teeth fall out when I tried to handle the face.

I wouldn't say it is normal, but sure I seem some. I don't want to internalize from grief seeing it but I could. What can you really do?