Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skeptical Cat Got bit by a cat today... my first bite

No, it was NOT love at first bite, either. My morning started off, well, it started last night with insomnia. I tried to solve all my problems, even invented a few. Tried to solve family problems, world problems.. you can all thank me later lol. I didn't sleep at all, got up at 6 am, cleaned litter boxes, bathed the new cat. So, I'm delirious.

Then this morning as my dear friend arrived with her Maine Coon sisters, one that is very fractious and getting more aggressive the longer she stays outside, Gunner decided that this was THE MORNING HE WAS GOING TO JAM OUT OF THE GATE AND RUN DOWN THE DRIVEWAY AND UP THE HILL!!!! Ugh. My husband came out with leash and a cookie, whistled and Gunner came right to him. But it was a tense 5 min for me until he did. (Gunner was thrilled with himself and super happy)

So dogs safely inside the yard, I get to work on the cats. I do the aggressive one first and she was matted from her chin to her girl bits (haha that was for Debi H if you read this). So I have her cradled in my lap and she starts to growl. I put the air muzzle on but did not even think to put my bite buster gloves on. And if she didn't bunny kick that air muzzle right off. Nailed my left hand with her back feet. Easy enough to do, my skin is very thin. So now I look like my hand has been through a cheese grater and I'm bleeding all over. I put the air muzzle on again, and tightened it, too.. but I guess not enough, she kicked it off again and then bit me hard on my forearm. 4 punctures. 2 on top, 2 below.

Ouch. No.. OUCH!!!! So I put her in the crate and tended to my wounds as best as I could. Got her bathed and put her in a crate with fans blowing because I wasn't sure how she'd do with me holding her and the dryer on her. Then I started her sister who was much nicer and more cooperative. Then I put both in the same crate with the fan on. They were pretty dry in about 30 min. I did take the hv on low low and finish them as best as I could. Got them brushed out, then called the owner and said "hey I've been bit." She said.."Not to worry."

My friend shows up with her script pad in hand!! She's a PA. Calls her doctor.. and I hear "she's allergic to penicillin" and the doctor groaned. I could hear the doctor groan!!!

Got some Doxy, some good common sense advice from my friend and while I insist she not pay me since she's a long time friend, she paid me my price anyway.

Anyway.. my arm hurts like a motherrrrr. And it's the weekend for me!
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

So sorry for you. Cat bites are awful. Glad you have the weekend to rest up. Heal fast.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Love the insomnia description. Wish it didn't sound so familiar.

All Great and Brave Warriors are in danger of the Maine Coon Sisters Incident. Goodness-what a nice large kitty to go crazy on you. Was it's name Luscious?

Thinking the 'customer' being a PA was quite the blessing.

Oh no!! I am so sorry that you were bitten so badly. I had a year where I was bitten by 3 different cats in 3 months, though very luckily the bites were not deep or painful. It can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

You may already know this, but just in case. As I learned the hard way, these strong antibiotics can be hard on digestion, so it may be helpful to eat small portions and bland food, for a while at least.
    Also, I have had luck, with some cats not all, who have been given a calming pill of Gabapentin prior to the visit. Not foolproof, but if you plan to continue grooming that cat, may be useful if owner and vet agree. Again, hoping for a quick recovery.

So sorry you got bit! Why didn't you want to charge her? Because she is a friend? Friends get charged here.
    Anyway, cat bits are dangerous so watch it very closely.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Every time I've been bitten by a cat.....my hand swells up.....so the last time, about 3-4 years ago....it was in the summer....a beautiful day.....I get the Maine Coon, an old customer who never gave me a second thought......I'm bathing the cat...the cat see's the open doors and decides that this is the chance of a lifetime. Sampson jumps out of his leash and jumps into the air for the open doors....I push back....the struggle continues for probably 20 seconds.....I end up with Sampson back in the tub....doors closed....I have 11 puncture wounds on my left arm, both from bites and claws. I had to put on two rubber gloves to capture the blood dripping down the arm...... Had two more dogs to groom before I could go to Urgent Care for shots......while waiting in Urgent Care room...I had two techs come back to me excitedly, telling me all of the info that they had read on Google about the Maine Coon.....both had never heard of that breed....kinda funny...I'm bleeding to death, and they were so excited to learn all they could about a Maine Coon..... I healed nicely.

Happy surviving

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Quote Originally Posted by poodlefeet View Post
    Love the insomnia description. Wish it didn't sound so familiar.

All Great and Brave Warriors are in danger of the Maine Coon Sisters Incident. Goodness-what a nice large kitty to go crazy on you. Was it's name Luscious?

Thinking the 'customer' being a PA was quite the blessing.
    Her name was Luna and all I could think of was Looney Luna lol. Yes, her being a PA was a good thing!!
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    Oh no!! I am so sorry that you were bitten so badly. I had a year where I was bitten by 3 different cats in 3 months, though very luckily the bites were not deep or painful. It can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Thanks, Emma... my arm is quite sore but the redness hasn't gotten worse, so I think I'm going to be fine. Funny thing is, my hand with all the scratches looks worse. What I wish, is that they would brush their cats, not let these beautiful creatures outside, and come to me more often. And yes, all I could think of was if I had my hands on some Gabapentin....

Probiotics in my system!
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    So sorry you got bit! Why didn't you want to charge her? Because she is a friend? Friends get charged here.
    Anyway, cat bits are dangerous so watch it very closely.
    LOL... she's one of the only ones I don't like to charge. We all went to college together. Her husband was a good friend of mine in college (he liked me lol). I worked the night shift at Denny's while going to college and he and his friends would come in and study and keep an eye on me lol. Our kids all grew up together and they are still good friends as well.

And thanks.. I hope to heal well!
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Every time I've been bitten by a cat.....my hand swells up.....so the last time, about 3-4 years ago....it was in the summer....a beautiful day.....I get the Maine Coon, an old customer who never gave me a second thought......I'm bathing the cat...the cat see's the open doors and decides that this is the chance of a lifetime. Sampson jumps out of his leash and jumps into the air for the open doors....I push back....the struggle continues for probably 20 seconds.....I end up with Sampson back in the tub....doors closed....I have 11 puncture wounds on my left arm, both from bites and claws. I had to put on two rubber gloves to capture the blood dripping down the arm...... Had two more dogs to groom before I could go to Urgent Care for shots......while waiting in Urgent Care room...I had two techs come back to me excitedly, telling me all of the info that they had read on Google about the Maine Coon.....both had never heard of that breed....kinda funny...I'm bleeding to death, and they were so excited to learn all they could about a Maine Coon..... I healed nicely.

Happy surviving

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
    There is a Maine Coon theme here. Ouch Dolly.. that sounds painful!! And really kind of funny that they were all excited about the breed they had never heard of. Sorry you got bit and scratched badly.
    Debbie

Getting bit just sucks. Being emotionally involved with the pets makes it that much worse. It's hard not to take it personal when it happens. I got tagged by a dog last week. Ouch .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast