Yelling Pink Not quite sure how to hndle this? Any advice?

When I came to work one day last week I noticed I had a cancelation. My Asst.Mgr was working the desk that day so I inquired if she knew who cancelled and why. I was informed that they actually did not cancel. The other groomer actually had a cancelation and the dog that was scheduled for me was normally groomed by the other groomer. Being they now had a spot that opened up it was moved to there "normal" groomer. It urked me to say tje lest but I shrugged it off and didn't say anything.

As I was thumbing through the schedule I see a dog booked for me that has notes saying if the other groomer get's an opening to move it to them! What?! Is this going to be an on going problem now? I feel the need to nip this is the bud asap, but unsure how to approach diplomaticlly without looking like I'm crying over dogs. Mind you this is the first time my employer has ever had 2 groomers working at the same time.

I feel if I approach it saying, "If you scheduled Susie to work hours on Monday and had her come inand tell her "Nevermind, you can go home early, Jane was available and Mondays are her normal days." Would that be fair you basically took Susies hours and gave them away." IDK What do you guys think.
    Personally, I wish my employer would just pay an agreed apon salary rate and then things like this wouldn't be an issue. =s
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

I will let someone with experience in a shop with employees answer that. I wouldn't be happy about it but how to approach it would be me needing to do a lot of thinking. I guess you could say.. okay, no that's not going to come out right, I WAS going to say.. "I feel like by giving that dog to me, you took away some much needed money" but I don't like the way that sounds.

I kind of don't like what you said.. sorry lol!!!! It feels like a riddle to me. Bosses don't like riddles. They are like "that's what I decided". Who has been there the longest.. you or the other groomer? Bosses also don't care for salaries.. hourly gets the jobs done faster. (sorry again)
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post
    I will let someone with experience in a shop with employees answer that. I wouldn't be happy about it but how to approach it would be me needing to do a lot of thinking. I guess you could say.. okay, no that's not going to come out right, I WAS going to say.. "I feel like by giving that dog to me, you took away some much needed money" but I don't like the way that sounds.

I kind of don't like what you said.. sorry lol!!!! It feels like a riddle to me. Bosses don't like riddles. They are like "that's what I decided". Who has been there the longest.. you or the other groomer? Bosses also don't care for salaries.. hourly gets the jobs done faster. (sorry again)
    That's what I'm saying! Nothing sounds right to me without sounding like I'm whining over dogs. No need to apologize either Daesue, I appreciate your input and perspective.

I have been there the longest, but only by a year. I am also part time though and take time off for my son. I think the other groomer is part time to, put I'm not sure. We work opposite days from eachother except for one day a week. They treat us like we are seperate entitys sometimes I feel. There is not really any set policy or standard for how grooming is run. I have tried to set things up, but I am not management. I can't enforce anything. An example of this was a xleaning checklist I made up to be done at the end of your shift. I was the only one that does it! Not even mgt cleans up after themselves. I hate walking in after I cleaned the night before to find fur in the tub, nail clippings all over the floor and table, nothing wiped down.

The thing is though, they are the best employer I ever had! They do so so much for us. Annual 1% raises capped at 60% (I'm currently at 54%), paid for sharpening, annual christmas party and bonuses, always buying snacks and little things, will pay for me to go to tradeshows after 5 years. They always buy grooming equipment I ask for. They really do treat us good. After typing all that, I kind of feel guilty now for complaining. =s

I have talked in the past to my boss about paying differently. Another issue with commision is sometimes the pay is wrong. I was short in my pay this week, which is why I keep track of the dogs I do. My boss said they will not pay salary because then there is no incentive to groom more dogs. I disagree because you can offer annual raises baased on performance. And they will not pay hourly because they do not want you milking the clock taking longer on a groom than you should. Again, this can be addressed with performance reviews and raises for incentives IMO. With the business taking on so much costs and taking less than hallf of the revenue, you'd think they'd jump on the chance to raise their profit margins.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Here's my 2 cents worth of "wisdom" (teehee)

1). This may happen to you down the road....."your client" is scheduled with another groomer due to your heavy schedule...then you have a cancellation, and your boss then switches "your client" to your schedule.

2). Your boss can do anything she feels that will keep the customers happy and coming in to her salon. If this client has always had groomer #1 and loved the groom, then I can see the switch.

3). I can see your frustration about the money.......hourly pay would stop this frustration immediately.

4). Hang in there and I wouldn't mention it to your boss, just swallow it and if it is an ongoing problem, look for another job. Your boss can hire, fire, switch groomers anytime she feels like....that's the advantage of owning your own business........Just remember......we ALL have had to swallow something to keep our jobs and a happy working environment. Good Luck

Happy swallowing some bitter stuff

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

If the dog was booked with you only because the other groomer didn't have space available, And then space became available and they moved it because it is one of their request clients that is perfectly acceptable. In my shop you would be told that's the way it is. We had very few requests dogs in here but. If a client request X, they get X if X is available. And if they get put on Y because X is not available and then X becomes available they get moved. That's when it's up to you to fill your slots with request dogs if that's the way your shop works. Or tell them not to book x's dogs with you at all.

Shops need to fill all slots and accommodate all clients. But I understand completely why they would put one on you and then move it to her if her space became open. That's called satisfying the customer at all cost. And honestly the customers are more important. Without the customer's you won't need a groomer.

Also, you now have the ability to fill that slot . I don't know what the problem is...
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I am very fortunate to be one of those businesses that customers are never asked to choose a groomer. If the customer feels they are supposed to do that, I tell them not here. I am the owner and manager and I guarantee your satisfaction regardless who grooms your pet. I have only had 1 customer, yes just 1 say anything negative about that policy. Do you know how smooth makes the operation? No employee issues like you are having NF. But if a shop does that as Parti says, that is just how it works and I am sure it irks you. I am happy to say my system irks no one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4them View Post
    I am very fortunate to be one of those businesses that customers are never asked to choose a groomer. If the customer feels they are supposed to do that, I tell them not here. I am the owner and manager and I guarantee your satisfaction regardless who grooms your pet. I have only had 1 customer, yes just 1 say anything negative about that policy. Do you know how smooth makes the operation? No employee issues like you are having NF. But if a shop does that as Parti says, that is just how it works and I am sure it irks you. I am happy to say my system irks no one.
    Until I hired a girl who had owned her own shop it never happened here either. But. She has clients who DO ask for her.
    I have a few but it's rare. I just book dogs and split them up. In fact when Billy and I work, I print a list and we just go down it alternately. Lol
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain