https://mothership.sg/2019/03/portra...ery-singapore/

Portrait Mode is a new photo essay series of Singapore and all the people and things in it, seen through the lenses of our young photographers at Mothership.

This week, we meet a Singaporean lady who owns and operates a cattery — a place of boarding for some 150 cats of a wide range of circumstances: seeking homes, requiring foster care, ill and in need of intravenous medical treatment and more. She has devoted the better part of her life to the welfare of Singapore’s felines. This is her story, told in pictures, and in her own wor

15 minutes from Kranji MRT station is a piece of land in the far-flung corner of Lim Chu Kang that is occupied by several tenants — one of them being Meow & Wuff Pet Care Services, a cattery that houses approximately 150 cats brought in by rescuers.

The cattery is owned and run by Alison Soh, who is in her 50s and has been working with animals for more than two decades. You could almost call her a cat veteran — having been in this industry since the 1990s.

“A very long time ago (in the 1990s), I was working at a veterinary clinic. Because I liked animals, so by all means, I wanted to go into this channel. Afterwards, I went to learn pet grooming by myself, and after being a pet groomer for 10 years, I told myself, ‘oh, I really need a career switch.’ At that time, I was also an independent cat rescuer.

In the past, there was no Cat Welfare Society (CWS), there were no subsidies, you must go out yourself — catch, sterilise, catch, sterilise, catch, sterilise the cat one. After that, I became a cat sitter for the next 10 years. Finally, I felt that I wanted to work in a cattery — which I’ve been doing, for 10 to 12 years.

When you come out of a full-time job, you don’t have a fixed salary. Sometimes you can’t even have a salary.”...............