Default DeShedding Rake Questions

'Cuz hey-it's that time of year again. Several of my clients have already begun heavily shedding. I use different techniques and different tools depending on the coat. One of my favorite 'go-to' tools is the undercoat rake-the ones with the curved blades. I own the Andis ones, as well as an Oster, and several …I think it's Paw Brothers -the red handle with black paw prints. I guess they all have slightly different angles, as one brand will often work better than the others on a given coat.

But my question is this. Can I overdo it with these rakes? Am I only removing the hair that is ready to come out, or am I in fact pulling hair out of the follicles that isn't really ready to go? Sometimes it seems like it will never stop. I have experimented by using the rake, then a comb. The comb removes nothing or next to nothing, but if I rerake the area, I get more hair. I also have looked at areas after I have thoroughly gone through them with the rake, and feel like I am not seeing any undercoat.
    I don't know how to understand/interpret what I am seeing. I see no visible damage/irritation to the skin, but can't stop wondering if using these rakes until no more hair comes out is in some way harmful?

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?

I'd say you get very minimal not ready hair out with those. I'd also say it's inevitable by the very nature of the process. I always gauge it by how difficult it is to get the rake through the coat, if after a couple of swipes in the same area, I'm still getting resistance I'd say the coat is not ready.

I think like Cockerlvr too and I watch the pressure applied and the furious activity of some groomers. They are raking with pressure I think it is a bit much and the rake is a blur they are doing it so fast. Sort of like how some use the furminator that way. It is a blur. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not pushing the limits and take too much good hair too.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'd say 50% of my clients come in mostly for help with shed control, and I keep them on a 4 week schedule, so most of the year it's not too bad. But they are starting to shed in earnest again now, and it's startling to see how much hair I remove. I would be so ashamed if one of them came back packed with undercoat because I didn't do my job properly, but I would be horrified if I did damage to the coat or skin because I overdid it.