Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Locking wheelchair down in a mobile van

I have a daughter that I cannot afford 24 hour care for who is in a wheelchair. They make well heck I don't know what they call it. But you can lockdown a wheelchair in a van while you drive. I want to install one of these in a van so i can work as a mobile groomer but take her with me sometimes. I think an elite or hanvey could have that room. I explained my situation in the new person here place. I am getting used to it. You are very nice people. I have to move from Alaska to do this. Not doing mobile here. I need better special medical care for her in the 48. But just asking which van do you think is more like to have some room to have someone in a wheelchair sit with you behind the driver area? Bet you never been asked that.

My mother had to use a wheelchair taxi. We couldn't get her in the car and an ambulance service wanted hundreds. We found out from a senior center about a privately owned taxi wheelchair service like you are talking about. I never knew of them. Weird thing is they use a big van and nothing else. On call sides of the wheelchair you have several empty feet of van forward back and sides. OK having used that at $125 per ride, you won't have a problem with most vans today. I am not mobile but toured them at shows. You need a spot about 3 feet wide and 4 feet wide but with a path. Did you think of getting a used wheelchair van and having someone convert it for you. Otherwise you will have to lift her into the van and back into chair. I would definitely get a used wheelchair and convert it. Yes there could be enough room but a custom basic conversion of a wheelchair van is probably your best bet. I love your commitment.

Many years ago, when a lot of mobile groomers used to drive their vans to GroomExpo (Hershey PA), there was a groomer who was in a wheelchair. Her van was a self conversion, allowing her to drive while in her chair. She would call the client, who would walk out their dog to her van. She had room to turn around and bath and groom the dog at a much lower height than traditional conversions. I think your best bet is to buy a van and customize it (remove passenger's seat and the wall that separates the seats from the grooming area). Have you tried calling the different mobile grooming companies and requesting this? Call Jamie Hahn at Wagn Tails. (800-513-0304) he might be able to help you...doesn't sound like it is too tough of a request for any conversion company.

I'm not sure if your daughter can stand a whole day of grooming. Usually I leave my house at 7:00 am and don't get home before 3:00....with no lunch or restroom breaks. Once you are established, you won't have time to drive home to drop off your daughter and I'm almost sure that she won't be able to endure a full day of you grooming. I would think twice about your good intentions.

Happy thinking this over again

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

There is a conversion company that uses used shuttle buses for their conversions. They will look for and buy any vehicle you want. You could just specify you want one with a wheelchair lift.

As for carrying your daughter around all day, everyone is different. It's your business and you can book any way you want to. I don't start until 9 am, I take a lunch break every day, and I'm usually home no later than five. I do five to six dogs a day.

I don't know how old your daughter is, or her disabilities.... To watch a person grooming a dog is pretty boring because we do the same thing on each dog...clip nails, clean pads, santi trim, clean ears, wash, dry the dog, clipper and scissor work. After watching 3-4 dogs in a row, I'm bored stiff...and I'm a groomer !! So before you put all that time and money into a conversion, I would make sure that you don't drive her crazy just sitting and watching the same thing over and over and over, every day, every week, every month.........

Happy finding a daycare facility for her

Yep, for most people, watching people groom can be like watching grass grow.

I had envisioned that her daughter would be helping out with the office work of the business. She can ride along, and be the receptionist that makes appointments, makes reminder calls, creates a web page, keeps the Facebook page up to date and occasionally helps with restraining a dog.
    She could learn to groom too. There are mobile and shop owning wheelchair bound groomers in our industry.
    And there are other careers that she can do in the pet world. Dog trainer, behaviorist, therapy work. The dog grooming can just be a launching pad for other things.

Alaska Rose. I hadn’t thought of the lack of good medical care in Alaska. That would definitely be a motivating factor to move to the Lower 48.
    Keep in touch. The mobile groomers here have reams of information. You came to the right place to start your search for knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    I don't know how old your daughter is, or her disabilities.... To watch a person grooming a dog is pretty boring because we do the same thing on each dog...clip nails, clean pads, santi trim, clean ears, wash, dry the dog, clipper and scissor work. After watching 3-4 dogs in a row, I'm bored stiff...and I'm a groomer !! So before you put all that time and money into a conversion, I would make sure that you don't drive her crazy just sitting and watching the same thing over and over and over, every day, every week, every month.........

Happy finding a daycare facility for her

She has to be attended to 24 hours a day. She has some physical and mental disabilities. I have no one to watch her other can caregivers and they cost $225 for 8 hours while I am at work which includes the agency paying all the payroll etc taxes. That means I am almost working all day in the mobile or even a shop just to pay them. I am hoping some days family can cover me and she can stay home with them. But it is not like normal babysitting. Must be a mature adult.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    There is a conversion company that uses used shuttle buses for their conversions. They will look for and buy any vehicle you want. You could just specify you want one with a wheelchair lift.

As for carrying your daughter around all day, everyone is different. It's your business and you can book any way you want to. I don't start until 9 am, I take a lunch break every day, and I'm usually home no later than five. I do five to six dogs a day.
    Thank you I found gomobileconversions and will talk with them.

I suggest a must have for you. Get a conversion with a toilet. I can't imagine not having one for her and having to stop park and take her in public bathrooms.

They seem to be doing very well at GoMobile and I think they can solve that issue. They have really grown and do most conversions to order. I like that and some nice units in $25K to $35K range.

We had to face some realities today with her health diagnosis. Instead a family member is going to move from VA here to help me and I will continue with a job up here. We cannot move her to the 48.

Sometimes life makes your decisions for you.
    I thought you sounded kind of excited about beginning a new adventure, so I am sorry that is not possible.
    Praying for you and your daughter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast