Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Awkward position of designer breeder - love hate

Apparently one of our new customers was happy with a groom we did on a labradoodle. It was a year old but she said she was not happy with 2 other groomers so far. That's great. I didn't know until today when I got a call she went to a sort of local but definitely enterprising designer breeder and said you should be recommending this place. That's us in our strip center with all dog cat related businesses. The designer breeder would like to meet for lunch and talk with us about their main recommendation for pet grooming.

Now that is awkward there is so much angst about designer breeding, yet I don't want to make a scene. It is not only about me. I have other tenants that lease space from us that could benefit and I am sure if they found out we didn't arrange something without at least trying, that could be bad.

What do you think? Appreciate your thoughts.

As long as it is not a puppy miller breeder, I don't see what it can hurt. The doodles are here to stay, imho.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Cyn you are a writer, what a great article or groomer novel title.
    The Doodles Are Here to Stay

I LOVE IT WOMAN

Cyn is right, I would be very neutral if it is a puppy mill type.

Could be a very interesting meeting. It seems one of the big hypes about the doodles is that they don't shed. I haven't come across any that shed onto the floor or the sofa, but we all know what happens when you take a slicker to them. And the idea that they shouldn't be groomed for so many months...if this breeder pushes that perhaps you could get him to understand the importance of getting a young puppy in early to lay the foundation for being groomed all of their lives. Building a relationship with the owner before that wonderful time of life we call 'coat change'.
    Crossing my fingers that this is a breeder who truly wants to do the right thing for the puppies he sells.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    Cyn you are a writer, what a great article or groomer novel title.
    The Doodles Are Here to Stay

I LOVE IT WOMAN
    Lol
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I'm afraid I would have to bite my tongue and meet with this 'breeder'. Strictly business. You are a groomer and there are dog$ to be groomed.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I would definitely meet with him or her. Sure I agree bite your tongue. But I would also like to pay them a visit. Look at the place. Where are they breeding and raising. It will tell you a lot.

Absolutely I would want to see their operation. We are in business to groom so as long as they are not a wicked puppy mill. OK

Yes it is all in the size of this operation. I hate it but if it is relatively low key and you can help give them good grooming. Fine. It is IMPORTANT to make sure they don't USE YOU by saying YOU ENDORSE THEM. I don't think they need that but I don't know what they are thinking. If you can avoid giving them sense of things then it is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by coldnose View Post
    Yes it is all in the size of this operation. I hate it but if it is relatively low key and you can help give them good grooming. Fine. It is IMPORTANT to make sure they don't USE YOU by saying YOU ENDORSE THEM. I don't think they need that but I don't know what they are thinking. If you can avoid giving them sense of things then it is OK.
    That is a really good point.

I think as a local service provider you do want to meet them and see what they have to say. Like others said they shouldn't be using your endorsements, but nothing wrong with business people working together, knowing each other. You just want to see how responsible they are with what they are doing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast