Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Sharpening/5-in-1 refurbishment

Hello, I wonder if you might have referrals to a good sharpener who would work with a pet owner. I do not groom my Toy Poodle to save money, but began after having him to a highly-regarded pro groomer shop not too long after getting him from his first family (he was four years of age). "He WILL bite!" was the angry quote at pickup.

Understanding how dire a bite can be, and even more so to a professional groomer and his/her career, that told me immediately I'd need to learn to do this myself. Between books/videos, saving up and buying the Wahl 5-in-1, SS combs, CC brushes and slicker, other brushes, metal combs, shears, lots of product including CC, Best Shot, Coat Handler, Stazko, Nature's Specialties, and others over time (many of them thanks to your mentions here), we've settled into a modified Scandi of sorts. I'm still accumulating tools; a better dryer will hopefully happen this year. Loving it all.

While he's decidedly pet quality (and adored), one day I dream of a show prospect, and consider this also as training ground to be able to demonstrate to a great breeder that I might be able to manage Poodle coat.

It would be nice to have a place to occasionally send shears and blades for sharpening/refurbishing. I accept that noted sharpeners are not available to me, and of course professional groomers have quite different needs from mine. Still, it would be nice.

A sharpener who attended a local show recently told me all sharpening is exactly the same (human, pet, etc.), and that is hard to accept, so I didn't move ahead there (he did kindly let me handle *the comb* for a bit, and I still want one ). If anyone has a sharpener recommendation for me, I'd surely appreciate it. Ryan's Pets seems an option? Thank you .

My recommendation would be Northern Tails Sharpening http://www.northerntails.com/
    Iíve always been happy with their work and they are very quick.

Thank you so much. That particular sharpener is quite talented, yet has made it clear his services are intended *only* for professional groomers. I'm looking for a sharpener who is skilled, yet who will work with laypeople .

If the local grooming shops use a mobile sharpener you could try that.

When I had a mobile unit come to my shop I would occasionally have a few lay people that would drop by and have him sharpen their things as well. This was all arranged in advance so the sharpener guy knew how much time he would be at my shop.

So that might be an option for you.

It has been my experience that the 5 in 1 blades arenít worth sharpening. Iíve had it done a few times and Iím not thrilled with the results. I consider those blades disposable
    Since you only have one dog, a 5 in 1 blade will last you a good long time. Just consider replacing them as part of the expense of having a groomable breed.

Good luck, and send pictures when you get a chance. We love pictures!!!

Dogma, thank you so much . I am thinking the 5-in-1 just needs to be tossed. For some reason, the black diamond one has never cut well for me. It's surely my poor skills more than the blade, but I'm going back to the original, and ordering the pro one shortly.

I looked for a photo to post, and didn't find anything suitable on this computer. It's scary to post to you wonderful professionals, yet at the same time, it's a way to grow, and thank you so much for this valuable invitation . Growth is good.

Bought a backup Wahl Bravura at Groom Expo. When they went to give me one of those black diamond blades for free I told them to keep it. Doesn't work for me either.

To bad Northern Tails dosent sharpen for pet owners, he can refurbish a 5 in 1 blade like new.
    Wishing you luck with finding a sharpener.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Dolly has said many times if you send your old ones to wahl they send you new ones for like 14 dollars or so. Worth a call to them to see if they would do it for one or two.

Jeff at Northern Tails also does my refurbish and it works great.

Jeff does a great job. Just got my first batch back.

Jeff will not sharpen for lay people and is quite rude and emphatic about it on his site.

Quoted straight from his website at the very top. "If your just doing your own dog to save money, and you are not a professional groomer working hard in a grooming shop, please find someplace else to get your two blades sharpened. "

Releve... I sent you a private message.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast