Thread: Allergy

Default Allergy

Hi guys. I am new to this forum and I have been doing dog grooming now for 12 yrs but the last 2 years...I think I have become allergic? Does anyone else have a constant stuffed up nose and a sore throat that comes and goes constantly? And a thick throat? Is this affecting anyone else?

Have you ever taken your temperature. I found that most allergies you don't get a temperature but your skin may feel red, warm or hot. Viruses and colds usually have some temperature. Try that if you don't know. Now some products can cause stuffed up nose, but a sore throat? That is not real common but can be. Allergies can cause a dry scratchy throat big time. Did you change products before this happened? I would definitely check my temperature when it is worse to see if you have one. My doctor always said high temps are not normally associated with allergies, yet can be. You may feel hot with an allergy but take the temp. Have you talked with a doctor. Let us know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo. View Post
    Hi guys. I am new to this forum and I have been doing dog grooming now for 12 yrs but the last 2 years...I think I have become allergic? Does anyone else have a constant stuffed up nose and a sore throat that comes and goes constantly? And a thick throat? Is this affecting anyone else?
    I don't have a thick nor sore throat... but I'm terribly allergic to this job! I'm all sorts of allergic to shampoos and conditioners and certain dogs... even clean. I take 1/5 Zyrtec every night and use nasal spray. I also use Flonase every day. Flonase is twice a day- I just found that out recently. There is a new nasal spray with an antihistamine. My allergist gave me a sample of Dymista.. oh that stuff was nice lol!

I have a couple of suggestions for you that popped into my head.. have you been to an allergist? You might want to get allergy testing.. they can do blood or skin prick testing. The blood wasn't quite as comprehensive as the skin prick that tests for tons of stuff, like what's in your area, pollen wise. And check to make sure you don't have any polyps.

Second, use a nasal rinsing machine after work.. seriously, every day. I have one called the SinuPulse.

Your thick throat... have you had your thyroid tested? I have a thyroid disease called Hashimoto's. It's an autoimmune disease. My body is attacking my thyroid. Really.. it should be dead by now lol. There's a great website called Stop The Thyroid Madness...look into that. I have had some good doctors help me, others have not been so fortunate. But when my thyroid meds aren't the right dose, my thyroid swells, causing my throat to feel like there's a lump there. I'm just throwing that out in case that's what you mean by thick throat.

Good luck!
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

To everyone I find that the basic saline nasal spray a couple three times a day I spray until it drips out of my nose and it soothes and washes little hairs out. Voila. My nose is amazing better, not itchy, cleaner, no strange moments of congestion. Great way and cheap to clean the nose.

If you can tolerate it a mask is helpful also.

Are you wearing a mask? If you aren't I would suggest you do. See if that helps. I had a persistent pesky cough that required Ricola 24/7 to keep it quelled. Like literally, all night I had to have one. I was carrying it everywhere. I started wearing a mask and it went away. I have to believe it was all the dust, dander and microscopic hair I was breathing in.

What kind of mask?

Yes Cockerlvr I am now and it is helping.