Thread: Boykin Spaniels

Smile Boykin Spaniels

Any hints, doing my first this week. TKS

Talk to the owner,of course,and see what they want.

I’ve had a couple at my shop. They weren’t heavily coated so it was more of a Brush, Bath and Tidy. Neatened up feet, shaved throat and blended that into sides of neck and cheeks. Removed hair from in front of the ear canal.

Sometimes the owner wanted the leg feathering shortened. Sometimes they wanted all body coat shortened. Sometimes as above

They did like the ears trimmed and they liked the little blond ‘mohawk’ hairs on the top of the skull, so I left that. I did clean up any fuzzies on the head, just too give a cleaner look.

Fun dogs. I think you’ll like working with them.

I have only really groomed one before and the owner liked him shaved down for easy maintenence. Sorry, I know that isn't much of a help. Good Luck and post pictures.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

I have one. He's from the USA from a hunting kennel so I think he's less coated than a show one. We do trim all over. He's dark chocolate brown. We trim feet/ legs, I card his whole topline and use a guard comb to take off the straggilys( 3/4) and go over with blenders. I should have a pic....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Be careful on feet. We do a lot of them and they are almost always funny about feet and snappy on nails.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ItzaClip! View Post
    I have one. He's from the USA from a hunting kennel so I think he's less coated than a show one. We do trim all over. He's dark chocolate brown. We trim feet/ legs, I card his whole topline and use a guard comb to take off the straggilys( 3/4) and go over with blenders. I should have a pic....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Even show Boykin are lightly coated. Some are flat, some frizzy, some fluffy some curly... almost all the plantations are using this breed to hunt here. I see bunches. I have done several blogs on the breed.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Cool Parti on the blog. We do overall what you say here it is a neaten. Checking it out. We don't get many. Do you have a breeder in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by 4them View Post
    Do you have a breeder in your area?
    oh I would say hundreds.....

Do you do some carding? Itza is right that along the top is very nice if you can.