Animated Wink "Open Concept Grooming"

Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Is this ironic or what? I post this article, and the very next article is somewhat related. An open concept daycare and a tragic accident happened? Not that daycare should not be, but when an employee makes a mistake........tragedy.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46463692...-of-family-pet
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Never, ever, ever ever will I risk such a thing. The grooming period is so short the safety of being separate from others animals is KING and QUEEN to me. Why risk someone else's pets. Sure the accidents are 1 in whatever, but that one was unnecessary.

Right on this point. A trip to the groomer can be so short and should be for afflicted dogs. No excuse not to separate them for safety. Daycare etc that is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    Never, ever, ever ever will I risk such a thing. The grooming period is so short the safety of being separate from others animals is KING and QUEEN to me. Why risk someone else's pets. Sure the accidents are 1 in whatever, but that one was unnecessary.
    I am right there with you on this
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I never take chances with "my baby" which is the business. One accident, unexpected, can hurt or ruin a grooming business. A few years ago a groomer left a dog with a grooming loop on it in the tub, she came back to a dead dog on the floor of the tub. She had to not only close the business but moved out of state. I know it is not the same thing as open concept, but one mistake can close a business.

I agree.

I had a client say to me yesterday "don't crate him, he barks at you. He's fine with other dogs", my response was he maybe great with other dogs, but other dogs may not be great with him and its not worth another dog biting him so he will be crated, but as he's going to be done in an hour, it will only be for very short periods, like when I'm seeing my other dog in, and when he's finished and waiting for pick up"
    Realistically, the dogs are only kenneled for very short periods. What do these people do, when, if they don't like their pet kenneled for a few minutes here and there at a groomer, their dog has to spend a day at the vets for bloods or ops or such like?
    I'm not willing to risk my reputation over such a stupid and dangerous idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    I agree.

I had a client say to me yesterday "don't crate him, he barks at you. He's fine with other dogs", my response was he maybe great with other dogs, but other dogs may not be great with him and its not worth another dog biting him so he will be crated, but as he's going to be done in an hour, it will only be for very short periods, like when I'm seeing my other dog in, and when he's finished and waiting for pick up"
    Realistically, the dogs are only kenneled for very short periods. What do these people do, when, if they don't like their pet kenneled for a few minutes here and there at a groomer, their dog has to spend a day at the vets for bloods or ops or such like?
    I'm not willing to risk my reputation over such a stupid and dangerous idea.
    Me either. Mobile grooming would be best then.

To be clear I say for the safety of pets we don't provide that open concept, but we offer quick turnaround appointments. And then I recommend mobile grooming as ideal and far more safe for them.

I worked at a cage free place. It was the scariest thing. It did appeal to people who thought it was horrible to have a dog in a cage. Screw that fear, we had many close calls where their pets could be hurt. I had a min poo on my table and a loose hound ran over to my table and put his paws up on the table and frightened the poo. I was told I was wrong to complain and that if I kept my wits about me I would have seen the dog coming and done something about it. These people are insane IMO. I was out of there a few weeks later.