Default Let me here your Mobile Salon SUCCESS Stories (failures ok too, I need to hear it)!!!

I'm thinking of starting grooming school and would love to eventually have a mobile van salon of my own. Tell me how it went for you, the good (hopefully!), the bad, the ugly. I am so excited, eager to learn, love love love caring for dogs and and just feel like this is the thing that I have waited 38 years to figure out that I wanted to do now that my kids are grown. I would love to hear your stories.....

https://www.petgroomerforums.com/cha...oming-business

I hardly lost a single client when I bought the mobile business with van after being a replacement groomer when the original biz owner had health issues. Anything But Dull said yesterday they bought both a salon and started a mobile but wrote a business plan got funded and doing well.

Maybe Cockerlvr will speak up. She builds her own van and gets booked up pretty fast.

I want to comment on one thing. Most groomers would agree when you first come out of school you have so much more experience before working alone. Is that your plan. I am sure it can be done but example. I know students that go to school and never groom a poodle at school, or even min schn. Are you confident you can with no other experience after school? Even 6 months or a year would be perfect to get more experience first. Just my opinion.

I had 2 years exp working for someone and glad I did. Now I think it would help with your dream to work as a mobile groomer after school so you learn that part of the trade. Wish you the best.

For me I love it. It took 6 months plus to get enough clients to breakeven and b the end of a year and half booked booked booked all the time pretty much.

Started this business five and a half years ago (August 2013). Hubby built my van. I was highly profitable the first month. Making what I needed to within maybe five months. Meaning all household bills (family of five) and business bills paid by me. At 14 months I stopped taking new clients. I was booked so far out, I couldn't find people on six or eight weeks schedules an appointment at all. And I thought why I am I taking new people when I can't fit my regulars in. It was at that point I went to a yearly schedule, meaning everyone is booked at the beginning of the year for the entire year. I opened to new clients for a few days in 2016 and quickly filled my spots. I just opened to new clients again as I had 15 dogs move away or pass away last year. But I have limited it to small (under 30lb) dogs, and client can't go more than eight weeks between grooms and have to commit to the yearly schedule.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be this successful.

I do agree with On The Go about working with someone for a while after school before you jump into mobile. It's very easy to lose sight of what's correct if you don't have other people to give feed back. Not saying it can't be done, but just like everything you would have to find your niche. Some people only care about the convenience and how their dog is treated, some people expect superior grooming for a the higher price. So if you are turning out sub par grooms, it will take longer to build a business.

I worked in a shop for 2 years after school and learned a lot and then opened my own shop. Sure you can do it but working with other advanced groomers made my skills better.

Yes, it would be a really good idea to work with other groomers for a time before going out on your own. You will learn so much more than a school can teach. You may also learn what not to do. You'll gain more confidence, and the clients can tell if you are confident in your ability.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

super great advice and encouragement! Thank you! While I am doing the school, I am going to try to reach out on Facebook for dogs to practice on. So far I have a shitzu, Golden, Cavalier, Border Collie, Doodle, Bichon, and a maltese....These are all for sures, I need more breeds though for sure! I would love to work with someone, and I will look into that, thank you for that advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jillkern View Post
    I'm thinking of starting grooming school and would love to eventually have a mobile van salon of my own. Tell me how it went for you, the good (hopefully!), the bad, the ugly. I am so excited, eager to learn, love love love caring for dogs and and just feel like this is the thing that I have waited 38 years to figure out that I wanted to do now that my kids are grown. I would love to hear your stories.....
    Hey tell us Jill what you are thinking now. Some good info here, hang in there. Tell us more. I spent years on here and got the best help ever.

So I think I have narrowed down the schools, there is:
    Paragon Online
    Learn2groomdogs.com
    Jodi Murphy( dvd series)
    QC studies
    Learntogroom.com (dvd series)

I just want to get my hands wet! My Cavalier and Golden, not to mention my two sisters toy breeds are just tempting me so hard with their scraggly coats and messy paws!

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    Started this business five and a half years ago (August 2013). Hubby built my van. I was highly profitable the first month. Making what I needed to within maybe five months. Meaning all household bills (family of five) and business bills paid by me. At 14 months I stopped taking new clients. I was booked so far out, I couldn't find people on six or eight weeks schedules an appointment at all. And I thought why I am I taking new people when I can't fit my regulars in. It was at that point I went to a yearly schedule, meaning everyone is booked at the beginning of the year for the entire year. I opened to new clients for a few days in 2016 and quickly filled my spots. I just opened to new clients again as I had 15 dogs move away or pass away last year. But I have limited it to small (under 30lb) dogs, and client can't go more than eight weeks between grooms and have to commit to the yearly schedule.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be this successful.

I do agree with On The Go about working with someone for a while after school before you jump into mobile. It's very easy to lose sight of what's correct if you don't have other people to give feed back. Not saying it can't be done, but just like everything you would have to find your niche. Some people only care about the convenience and how their dog is treated, some people expect superior grooming for a the higher price. So if you are turning out sub par grooms, it will take longer to build a business.
    Good advice. May I say I am shocked you are carrying the whole family. Super mom super wife and let's not forget all those cocker family members.