Default Thinking about renting out trailer on off-days?

I am fully scheduled Tues, Wed, Thurs. work one Fri. per month. That leaves Sat. Sun. Mon. available for someone who might be starting out to work three days using my trailer.
    How does one figure out how much to charge for rental? What are the priorities for the agreement to be fair? Care and upkeep? Timely return of equipment? Proper insurance? Charge for referrals? (I am no longer taking new clients. How does one capitalize on referring clients from number on trailer? Anyone done this before?
    Good Dogs to Ya!

I think you have all the concerns in order. I thought about this a lot before I started as mobile. The most important things are the person check them out. Make sure they don't exaggerate mileage, or add a mileage charge. Flat fee plus mileage. They pay gas. You are have to inspect every time they return it after each day. I would never try to bog down giving them referrals and what money is that. What a dismal mess that will turn into. They have to pay for the rental, and develop their own business. That's impossible to value a referral. Just be a rental and be strict. It is clean to start, clean on turn. Period. $100 a day or ?? I am not sure of that figure just saying that is all you are doing, renting the machinery. They pay gas if a van, and state max mileage for the fee. Sort of like UHaul but since you are renting a custom special be strict. I think you are responsible for upkeep for giving them a nice rental on a daily basis. Work that in the fee. Think like you were a car rental. You just pay the rental fee when you rent a car, and responsible for damage. Keep it simple. I rented RVs some times and they had me every time I rented it watch as the they walked around the rental with a camera before I could drive it off. No saying I didn't make this dent or scratch. Just be a rental company. Nothing to do with clients.

Do you groom cats? If you don't, might advertise to cat groomer so no concern about taking clients from each other. Also, cat grooming usually charges higher rates, so can afford van rental.
    Is the trailer marked with your logo?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    Do you groom cats? If you don't, might advertise to cat groomer so no concern about taking clients from each other. Also, cat grooming usually charges higher rates, so can afford van rental.
    Is the trailer marked with your logo?
    Great strategy Emma.

I'm not mobile, but I do know how hard it is to find a good groomer who is responsible, does quality work, and for you, someone who has good driving skills on a big rig or a trailer. It's your name and number on the trailer, so, no matter who does the groom, it's your reputation on the line. Not to mention the insurance hassles involved. It may sound like a great idea, but I see too many problems possible. I hate to rain on your parade, but........it's time for the umbrella.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I agree with Karla.
    When I moved out of my parents home my Mom said “don’t let people borrow your stuff”
    Of course I didn’t listen. I let a friend borrow my sewing machine. It came back broken. I should have listened to my Mother.

There is No Way I would let someone borrow (rent) an expensive rooming van.

If I knew a mature groomer, presented evidence of insurance, used a rental agreement from my attorney and had my insurance agent clearance, then and only then would I do this. It can be done but the odds of getting all these things in line is a little doubtful. Yet possible. I have seen this done a couple times with no big problems but then again, these were very business like groomers.