Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by CathyB View Post
    We opened in July and have been very busy. Basically I am running everything while building up the business. I planned very conservatively so I am meeting my expectations. My husband continues his job so that keeps up to date with the household budget. What has worked well in even just 6 weeks is that I got some every 3 and 4 week customers and they are now coming back for their first repeat. Doesn't that feel good? My vet who has know me for 20 years is sending me referrals. I am happy to return the favor. I had some established regulars already who have either moved over here to find me or have scheduled. What is nice about that is my new place is not convenient from where I used to work. They are driving about 25 to 30 miles just for grooms. Last week was a little slow but that was likely back to school maybe.This week has been solid with 5 a day and more on Saturdays. So for being open just a few weeks I feel great.
    How are things going?

Thanks for asking. I have about 200 regulars already since July, lots of vet referrals. At this point regulars mean they have come back 1 to 3 times, that was just 3 months ago. We were a little slow for 2 weeks back to school but not very slow. Like 2 a day less which we notice at this point. I read here to ask for referrals and DO, ALL THE TIME. It works, best advertising free, just ask. I have a bather now part time and hope for ft during Christmas season. I get some customers from FB but that is my least favorite, I get more from my website but referrals are 70 percent. And I have not yet offered a discount, GOOD FOR ME. Being strong and faithful not to do that. That is what a first year about in business. have faith in yourself and services, ask for help from your clientele, respect them and make them feel welcome.

Well my first holiday season in business was pretty good. No discounts. We made homemade biscuits for the dogs and packaged them for gift bags. We made little treats and bigger ones for large dogs. They really loved them. January is sort of slow for first 2 weeks and getting more calls now. We did a little better than planned by our business plan, and loan payment on time every time. It really helps building confidence.

Good job!!!

Love to hear this. Not doing another location now but to hear someone is doing it is great. Just because of the way our is laid out going from one side to the other is madness. I can see having 2 locations easily and I have some customers that do it already but brave a lot of traffic.

The secret is being blessed with a couple three groomers with management skills. Happy for you. it does happen. I think your strategy for locations is excellent and a key.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2