Hybrid View

Default Tipping the groomer??

Hey there!

So, I have a kind of weird situation where I work within a daycare/boarding facility and previously we didn't have full grooms just B&B. So over the last year or so we have been expanding to offer full service grooming with me managing it. Most places do a basic bath/nails if requested with the daycare or boarding and that is what we had offered however now that it is just me clients are getting professional results but I don't make tips. It's not actually a big deal as I have a good hourly wage and a set schedule but I have never found anyone else that has had a situation similar to mine.

We're officially announcing that we are offering full service come April so I'm hoping that things may change. We are the first daycare in our area and have been here over 12 years so our clientele is huge and I could be making BANK with grooming on top of wage. Am I just being greedy?
    Has anyone been in a situation like this? Advice??

First off, tips should never be EXPECTED.....only APPRECIATED. I don't know how check out is done there but if you are not in front of the owner with the dog at check out, tips will be few or nonexistent. Just my 2 cents
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Well, tips are great! BUT the best tip , imo, is a repeat prebooked new client referring client. Tips will come. Allot of people have asked me over the last few months if tipping a groomer is a normal thing. I tell them tips are always appreciated but not expected. We are in the service industry. I do let them know that although I am the owner/operator and only person, I still pay myself a commission so that I can continue to educate myself and purchase the best products available

Put up a sign that lets ever one it is ok to tip you if they want too. Your tips will go up by 50 percent if have a sign.

Thanks for everyone's input !

I know tips aren't expected (Very appreciated though!!) and I rarely am present at pick ups as I am usually in the tub/on the table/trimming nails when it happens which sucks because my favorite part is seeing how happy my clients are to see their dogs.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with a sign, it would feel like asking for one which I am not ok with. I do appreciate your idea though!

Maybe I'm over thinking it, perhaps my whole schedule will change once the promotion starts. I know what I can tell you, I don't think 20 nail trim days will happen as much when haircuts *hopefully* double lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Well, tips are great! BUT the best tip , imo, is a repeat prebooked new client referring client. Tips will come. Allot of people have asked me over the last few months if tipping a groomer is a normal thing. I tell them tips are always appreciated but not expected. We are in the service industry. I do let them know that although I am the owner/operator and only person, I still pay myself a commission so that I can continue to educate myself and purchase the best products available
    ^^^this^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When y'all announce Will you have say as to appointment times/schedules?

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    When y'all announce Will you have say as to appointment times/schedules?
    Appointments for haircuts will go strictly through me . Kind of like they do now, but only a few people who have specifically asked if I can cut know about it. That's why I hope the promotion helps, at least I have 5 loyal clients lol.

This just happened.....a first in 30 yrs. Lady was new to having a groom dog, after a bIt of confusion on her part and education on my part, she understood how most salons are ran. When she picked up her sweet lil dog, she ASKED if it was customary to tip the groomer (I am groomer/owner) I told her some tip some dont, tips are appreciated but not expected. She tipped me 10 beans and then asked if that was enough, lol. I told yes and it was very much appreciated. So maybe a discrete sign is not a bad idea in your situation OP.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    This just happened.....a first in 30 yrs. Lady was new to having a groom dog, after a bIt of confusion on her part and education on my part, she understood how most salons are ran. When she picked up her sweet lil dog, she ASKED if it was customary to tip the groomer (I am groomer/owner) I told her some tip some dont, tips are appreciated but not expected. She tipped me 10 beans and then asked if that was enough, lol. I told yes and it was very much appreciated. So maybe a discrete sign is not a bad idea in your situation OP.
    Good advice as always! Maybe I'll try and find a funny one because I'm pretty goofy/weird and I feel like it's more my style.