Default Is there a grooming technique that can help with mildew dog?

Hi all,

I have a big mutt named Wulfie. His DNA test came back 1/4 GSD, 1/4 Border Collie, 1/4 Samoyed, and 1/4 Belgian Shepherd, and he and his coat show looks from all four. He is black and white, border collie markings. Top coat is straight, soft and 4-5" long, very dense soft undercoat, heavy pants that are wavy and somewhat courser. He is 55 lbs but looks more like 75 with his coat. It is gorgeous! BUT... He is part of a pack of five dogs, and we swim almost every evening in the summer. His coat stays wet for many hours after toweling, and already in June in New England, he stinks like mildew!

He has his CGC and is a natural therapy dog, I like to take him places, and the stink is of course stopping that. He loves his hikes and swims, I already won't let him swim on rainy days and to never let him would just be too sad.

Is there a grooming solution? Someone mentioned maybe clipping slots into his undercoat and clipping the underside of his pants? I don't want to ruin his coat but mildew.... Eww.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Liz

Here is a video of his coat
    https://youtu.be/HOXNpU3C1Ks

Get yourself a high velocity dryer and get that undercoat out! That's what is trapping the water and making him stink. Without it, his guard coat should just repel the water and let him dry quickly.

I'd invest in a good hv dryer for home use. Double k makes some nice ones, also k-9. The only way to get rid of that smell is to make sure he's dried thoroughly after his swims. It'll also help with his undercoat. A good conditioning spray will also do him some good and make him smell cleaner if you aren't bathing each time after he swims. I like de mat pro. Or even Speed dry spray by show seasons would be good. this one will help reduce dry time. He's beautiful btw.

He isn't as heavily coated as I had imagined from your description. Just a regular Border Collie type coat.
    I agree with Cocker. Although he is well brushed, I can see there is still undercoat that needs to be removed. I like those old-fashioned rakes....the ones with the wooden handles...for that job.
    Also, a HV dryer would be nice to blast the water out of his undercoat. Once that undercoat has shed out for the summer I wouldn't think you would have as much of a problem.

I wouldn't "cut slots" in his coat. Just continue to brush and blow out that undercoat.

As far as therapy work goes. I would bathe a dog with that much coat before I took him for therapy work anywhere. Then the smell would be gone. I might also give him a vinegar rinse.

Good advice already from Cockerlvr and Pretzel, exactly what I would do. Watch his skin carefully over time pool chemicals can dry out some skins or cause irritation if not rinsed with clean water afterward. Sounds like you are a great pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    Good advice already from Cockerlvr and Pretzel, exactly what I would do. Watch his skin carefully over time pool chemicals can dry out some skins or cause irritation if not rinsed with clean water afterward. Sounds like you are a great pair.
    Wow can it be so simple as better grooming by me!? You are all making my day! Thank you SO MUCH for all the replies, I'll torture him with a rake this evening. He is less than thrilled with grooming so I usually brush him with a wooden bristle brush that is gentle, but doesn't remove a lot of hair. Can't wait to see how much I can get out!

I am lucky enough to have both the ocean and a quiet lake nearby so no pool chemicals to worry about. They all come out softer than they go in.

Many thanks to all replies!

Liz

Liz....I understand that he might grumble at first with the undercoat removal. Just take it a section at a time. Once you get the bulk of it out, you will be able to run a rake through his coat with ease. Then just do a quick run through each day with the rake. It will take less then 5 minutes.
    I often tell clients to rake/brush their dog right before feeding. Then dinner becomes the food reward for standing still for a few moments. His grumbly days will be over.

Isn't it nice when the solution is simple? Welcome to the boards. Post often. We'd like to see more pics of your handsome dogs.

The easiest way to remove undercoat, imo, is a good HV dryer, and a good soaping up and brushing while lathered up. I recommend using a Yuppy Puppy brush & a long pinned slicker (I prefer the long firm pin Tuffer than Tangles slicker) in the bath. This will keep flyaway undercoat to a minimum when you use HV dryer and make him a quick dry after swimming.
    I own a very heavy coated, full coated Aussie that pond swims every day....the above method is used on him so his is short work to dry after a swim.
    Above method is also how I do desheds in the salon.
    Kudos to you for being a wonderful owner that wants to keep her "hairy" dog in full coat & take care of it.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Agree with previous posts. Also buying some Coat Handler Odor Handler and mixing it in when you shampoo helps a lot.

Coat Handler conditioner and a hv dryer, as well as a slicker brush and a comb. You get that undercoat out of your dog, and your dog won't stink anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have an HV, I find it immensely satisfying and effective to get my dogs with heavy undercoat all nice and soapy and then blast the hair out. The dead undercoat will stick together because it's wet and also fly right out because it's all soapy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk