Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I always run everything past MY vet. I trust her opinion, and I know she'll back me up if a client claims different advice from their vet.

Mad Mad Cause what do we know?!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    Mostly, I wouldn't do this because it's something that veterinarians don't want done, according to the original poster. If it's controversial or a no-no among vets, then I wouldn't want to go against their professional opinion. They're the doctors. Now, if I called a vet and the vet said, put some sugar on the tongue, I'd do it. Maybe there are some vets who would think it's fine. Vets don't always agree with each other.
    If the animal had a bad reaction, I'd hate to tell the owner that I did something that vets recommend against, and it caused a small wound to turn into a bigger problem.
    Thank you. Here's exactly what my vet emailed me back, including her discussion with another vet at the clinic who deals with the majority of the endo cases:

"We sometimes will use honey to help with a really large laceration on the outer part of the body. It doesn't really increase the healing but prevents the bacteria from taking over. I talked to Dr Auck and he said it wouldn't work in the mouth as it is such a moist environment it would actually feed the bacteria, definitely not in the mouth of a diabetic dog. "

And no, not all owners think we need to know about their pets medical conditions, cause after all, we're "just groomers". I don't know how many times we ask on check-in if Fluffy has been well only to notice the tell-tale IV shave.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    Mostly, I wouldn't do this because it's something that veterinarians don't want done, according to the original poster. If it's controversial or a no-no among vets, then I wouldn't want to go against their professional opinion. They're the doctors. Now, if I called a vet and the vet said, put some sugar on the tongue, I'd do it. Maybe there are some vets who would think it's fine. Vets don't always agree with each other.
    If the animal had a bad reaction, I'd hate to tell the owner that I did something that vets recommend against, and it caused a small wound to turn into a bigger problem.
    I

I was at my vets yesterday and he said it would be fine to try even on a diabetic dog. He said unless you are packing a cup of sugar in there it's not a big deal. So it's obviously not something that is set in stone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2