Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by plaidjaguar View Post
    Three words: black nail polish. Lol
    Honestly, I know exactly what's she's talking about, but that gray goes back to black in about one day. It was also re-black if you rub oil on the nails. Not exactly a career-ruiner.

Next time try grinding the nails before the bath--often simply washing off the nail powder really minimizes the gray.
    Vaseline will do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Kat,

Point taken, Last week I had a customer that had just moved into this area request that her White Lab be shaven with a #10 blade because that is what her previous groomer had done. After I took a look at her dog, I saw that her dog had scarring which to me looked like it had been burned, so I asked her how the dog got that way. She said that every time she came back from getting groomed, her skin was always irritated and red, but she like the dogs cut short because it kept them from shedding everywhere. I refused to groom her dog because I will always refuse to groom a dog if I believe that it is detrimental to the dogs well being, however saying that, if it is not going to physically harm the dog, I almost always groom as the customer asks. It may not be my preference or the way I was taught, but it helps grow my business.
    The great thing about having your own salon, is that you can run it as you want. I just know that when I had previous groomers that tried to groom clients dogs the way they felt the particular breed should look like and it wasn't what the customer had asked for, I was the one that had to hear the complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by JOLIE View Post
    Spots ha! Got any dog show chalk lying around? Make him brown allover.. Look no spots just like you wanted!
    NO Think the opposite, she didn't want to see any brown! She wanted the dog white all over! The dog by the way was not lightly spotted like speckles he literally had really big patches of brown! And he was typically put into a scissor clip, the only times he was ever shorter than a #2 comb was when she asked for it or I had no choice at all. This person drove me nuts every time, every single appointment she would come in with a list of stuff she wanted differently this time and so on took me at least 1/2 hour just to check the dog in. I actually ended up telling her to find another groomer. Between all of the **** I've already noted on the dog he also was older, twice the size of a regular cocker, hated being groomed or even bathed, had a ****** coat and skin problems- which she actually tried to blame on me and she expected me to get him done completely asap when she would only bring him in every 3-4 months and of course no brushing by her.

I shave a lot of short haired dogs down, if its done right and your blade is keep cool and you don't continually go over it, it doesn't cause problems. I've had all kinds of short haired and double coated breeds ask to be shaved down. In some cases the owners just plain can't handle the hair and the shedding, in others the dog has skin problems and reacts actually worse if not short. As long as it doesn't hurt the dog and the owner is happy It's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MagikAshes View Post
    NO Think the opposite, she didn't want to see any brown! She wanted the dog white all over! The dog by the way was not lightly spotted like speckles he literally had really big patches of brown! And he was typically put into a scissor clip, the only times he was ever shorter than a #2 comb was when she asked for it or I had no choice at all. This person drove me nuts every time, every single appointment she would come in with a list of stuff she wanted differently this time and so on took me at least 1/2 hour just to check the dog in. I actually ended up telling her to find another groomer. Between all of the **** I've already noted on the dog he also was older, twice the size of a regular cocker, hated being groomed or even bathed, had a ****** coat and skin problems- which she actually tried to blame on me and she expected me to get him done completely asap when she would only bring him in every 3-4 months and of course no brushing by her.

Sounds like a typical PIA but I bet she didn't want to see the ticking that came up with a shorter clip. I know a lot of cocker people, and they either love to see the ticking or don't like it at all.

I think she looks good. Maybe blend the pattern line more with thinners.

YAY Kat!! I don't think you're a snob.

Quote Originally Posted by kat05 View Post
    Rossi,

Unlike Funky I have been in this business for 37 years and I have exactly the same mentality as Cockerlvr and Funky. Its their shop they run it their way. I refuse to do some things on dogs such as hula skirts, shorts on backs, give dogs pointed feet etc. I will do Yak cuts and stupid high water poodle feet because mostly those are old people. But if I am not happy with the way the dogs are when they walk out the door then why do this? I send them right down the street when they want things done other then my way. I am the most expensive place in my town. In fact today, the local competitions groomer/bather asked me to have coffee with her today, I have no clue why, but I suspect she wants a job. The other groomer in town asked if I did private lessons?, when I called her to ask if she did once a year dogs, so I would have somewhere to refer dogs. Now I have been called a grooming snob, not by my customers but by people in here. I am a grooming snob, I spend hundreds of dollars a year perfecting my skill, I am the professional. I don't tell my vet how to do surgery, I don't tell the stucco guy how to do his job, I don't tell my dentist how to pull my teeth...because they are the professional. Even when I go into a beautician I tell them you do this for a living make me look like Jennifer Aniston....but unfortunately no one has been able to do that. I make a good living, my vet owner is happy with me. I have grown a non existent business into a living for 2 of us. I now have a bather. I now have 6-8 dogs per day most times, in the summer we did 13-15 per day. I plan to up this total this summer. This coming up summer I plan to move my bather to a rougher/fluffer and hire a bather/fluffer. Do I lose customers, yes of course I do we all do. Do I have people coming back begging me to take them back after going somewhere else? YES! Most of my clients know I compete and they are always asking when my next competition is. I really don't care how anyone else does their salon, it's their salon. I do my salon my way. And let's be honest I am glad others do it differently so I have somewhere to send customers that want it that way.

I think she's beautiful! Love how you managed to keep some length, and I love her ears. Incidentally I posted somewhere here that I never see cockers and out of nowhere I now have 3 that i see regularly! All sweethearts. There's nothing like a happy cocker wiggling their little bodies when they're happy...so easy to see why they were the most popular dog for years

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5