PDA

View Full Version : Clipping a pug!

JessicaK
08-02-08, 04:52 AM
I had a lady come in a few weeks ago demanding I clip her pug off because he was loosing to much hair.
I tried explaining that I could strip out his coat but there was no way I could clip him off.
She crack it and stormed out.
I don't understand some owners

What should I have done?

sheilabgroomer
08-02-08, 05:20 AM
You can clip a Pug, I do several as well as Labs, Bassetts and even a couple Chichuahuah's. Going against the grain (usually w/a 7F)works great for this as it leaves a much smoother look. I know there is a lot of debate about shaving or not shaving certain breeds. I say if they are pets there is NO "standard" and I do what the owner wants (w/in limits of safety).

trailbound
08-02-08, 05:26 AM
Clipped the pug. Mine I clip myself, every 6 weeks, with either a #9W or a #7A. My mom also keeps her pug shaved. They look cool, and the shedding is much less noticable.
Kelley

luvpups
08-02-08, 05:40 AM
You actually can clip a pug. Not that I recommend it, but it has been done. I have done a few breeds with similar hair and, if that is what they want, I would do it. Some pugs that i have groomed have super thick coat, while some have a very smooth, thin coat. All you can do is educate them and go from there.

pugnacious
08-02-08, 06:30 AM
Respect her wishes. Why can't you clip a pug? They shed horribly all year. I shave Pixie with a 5 reverse every 6 weeks or so. Believe me, even the most extensive furminating & weekly bathing, brushing doesn't take care of the problem. I shave my short-haired cats, also when they begin to shed in the spring with my Bravura on a #9 and again in the early fall.

I'm in hair all day long & really can't stand it all over my bed!

Pawshpooch
08-02-08, 06:36 AM
if you didnt want to shave the dog, then you dont have to. you tried toe xplain to the lady and she still got in a huff. i personally do shave dogs down. im tired of arguing. i do have a pug i shave down, the owner used to do it herself but liked the outcome of how i did it better. to each his own

alib1028
08-02-08, 06:40 AM
I shave pugs all the time with a #5 reverse. They shed horribly and it helps the owners deal better when it's not so extreme. You can talk until you are blue in the face about it's the undercoat and I can do a de-shed treatment to remove 80% (blah, blah, blah). Why couldn't you do as she asked??

Nettie906
08-02-08, 06:53 AM
That's a tough one...I have only shaved one Pug. The owners were from California, and the groomer there shaved him. We tried everything we could think of to discourage them, but that's what they wanted. It's really hard hair to clip, and I did a reverse 7f. Looked nice. So silly, the dog will still shed, just shorter hair! Never had a problem with growout. It seemed to come back in nice and healthy.
A couple days ago, one of my clients was camping and saw a black
Pug with a beautiful coat, she asked the owner about it, and he told he shaved it. Go figure...
If you don't feel right or comfortable about doing something...you shouldn't.

don't worry...just another day in paradise!!! :)

stacie-gotg
08-02-08, 07:21 AM
You could have washed and dried the dog and shaved with a 10 or 15 and sent her on her merry way. You could have talked her into carding and how it will benefit the dog in the long run and then you have a 4-6 week client. Find out when the dog was last groomed and what type of diet the dog is on. Get to the bottom of why this dog is shedding so much. Is it partial seasonal, bad diet or a combination of the 2.

foxhound lady
08-02-08, 07:24 AM
Shaved many a pugs in my grooming career. I dont like to but if that is what the owner wants.

LoriA
08-02-08, 07:28 AM
I clip down 2 pugs with a #9 and get a ton of hair off, they requested it and they swear it helps tremendously with the shedding hair.
They don't look bad for a shave down.

beccas
08-02-08, 07:28 AM
I would have done what she requested, but I would have also question whether it had been done before. And then I would have slipped in a bit of education as to why go against this. Most owners who want to shave done or clip short hair, to me just do not or will not take the time to bath and brush so they take the easy way out. There are a handful that I have found open to be educated or let it one ear out the other. And as far as you being not able to do it could be that you did not want to do this cause it goes beyond your belief and there is nothing wrong with that. I have gone thru the same scenarios with a beagle and was able to get them on a deshedding maint., explain to owner will not elimanate all shedding but will cut down on the tumbleweeds!

Tanya B
08-02-08, 07:31 AM
I shave pugs all the time. I either use a #4 reverse or a # 7 reverse. It is not my dog. If they are happy with naked little pigs as pets, that is their choice. It is not my opinion that matters. The client is alway right. (sometimes :)

country groomer
08-02-08, 09:30 AM
I have shaved pugs before and I think that they look really nice, I use a7f blade and the owners are happy with the results, I try to do what they want done, make the owners happy and they will come back, I havent had any problems with the pugs shave. I will not shave them so close that they sunburn, and will tell the cliants that. Most have no problem with it. Some think that shaving stops shedding, it does not! It looks better but the shed is shorter and not noticed as much.

rapuzzled
08-02-08, 12:04 PM
I see nothing wrong with clipping pugs. Just clipped one today in fact, a 7F backwards. He sure is a love, I really enjoy doing him and it's takes like three seconds.

I have two beagles that I shaved for awhile (I stopped shaving them this year though becuse my old girl just can't tolerate as well as she used to). Sure they still shed but it's a heck of a lot easier cleaning up small itty bitty hairs than two inch long hairs (it's smooth so it's longer than you realize). Besides no matter what you do...carding, rubber curry, good bath, etc. at certain times of the year they are still gonna shed so it might as well be more maneagble.

And actually, I like the looks of a lot of the short haired dogs shaved. Nice and smooth.

Pixie
08-02-08, 01:47 PM
Get to the bottom of why this dog is shedding so much.

Isn't it just a Pug thing???

I have a couple of pugs that I shave with a 7F rev. They both look good. No reason not to shave them if that is what the owner wants.

bulldogmom
08-02-08, 02:49 PM
I've shaved a few pugs. They shed so bad! Usually do a #9 or a #7 in rev.

Fur Elite
08-02-08, 04:57 PM
Pugs do shed excessively and year-round. I have shaved a few in my time as well, 5 or 7 reverse. Usually they are kind of spazzy little dogs with that rolypoly skin that I do not enjoy shaving, but they look fine. Too hot for pugs to be outside much around here, so no concern of sunburn.

JessicaK
08-02-08, 06:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice.
I feel confident now to clip off a pug and dogs with the same coat.
THANKS

sheilabgroomer
08-03-08, 01:44 AM
Isn't it just a Pug thing???

I have a couple of pugs that I shave with a 7F rev. They both look good. No reason not to shave them if that is what the owner wants.

Oh yeah, it is a Pug thing...they shed like buffalo!!!

Nettie906
08-03-08, 09:03 AM
Oh yeah, it is a Pug thing...they shed like buffalo!!!

ummmm...do you use a furminator on a Buffalo??? Or just a good de-shedding conditioner???

ananas
12-11-08, 03:05 PM
It would have been possible to clip it, we have at least two we do regularly.

doggydivas
12-11-08, 04:58 PM
I clipped my pug Louie into a Lion trim a few months back......It looked really cool! And it DID cut down on the shedding! I sure wish I had taken a pic of it....next time I do it I will take a pic and post it....

schnlove
02-06-09, 05:17 PM
I do shave a few pugs, I use a 7 reverse or a 10 straight. Eventually though it does thin their coat out ( I guess it takes down the undercoat). But they do shed quite a bit.

redbird
02-07-09, 01:29 AM
I have one I shave for a shut in on O2.

Horrible thick hair, and easy to do with a 5 or 7 backwards.

I would even consider using a ten on her, as she is thick enough it would probably be fine.

ManicMutts
02-07-09, 08:19 AM
Trying to stretch the fat roll on the back of the neck out enough to shave it! We do some really round pugs!

pinkpoodlez
02-07-09, 04:38 PM
I shave pugs too.But Ill shave anything as long as thats what the client realllly wants.