PDA

View Full Version : Hand Drying????

yorkiebelle
01-13-08, 06:19 PM
Hello all I am a failry new groomer (Going into my third year !!! ) I apprenticed so I did not go to grooming school. The woman I apprenticed under ONLY Cage dried, Well I am seeing such nice outcomes on dogs that are hand dried with force or high velocity dryers. They look so much nicer. Can anyone help me with advice on how this is done and what dryers to use settings ect... Thanks so much I really appriciate any advice.

Pixie
01-13-08, 07:04 PM
Jodi Murphy had some free DVD's (not sure if they are still offered) that would be a big help to you.
www.jodimurphy.net

borzoimom
01-13-08, 07:52 PM
Romani has a force drying video that is excellent.

Jengroomer
01-13-08, 07:56 PM
Oh my gosh yes big difference!
Get yourself a good HV dryer, strong. You can do 80% of the fluffing, then use a stand dryer and brush dry (aim the dryer where you are brushing) to finish fluffing the coat. You will have MUCH nicer haircuts!!

Arrooh
01-13-08, 08:08 PM
just use a little Pet Edge portable. Toweled real good and a small dog dries well that way. I, like many, never use a cage dryer at all. So much nicer looking among other reasons.

You might be able to check out Barbara Birds Blog and check out the Bichon grooming for instance, besides the other suggestions here. Even just using an HV on the dog can straighten and fluff the hair real well.

Have fun and welcome to the world of more satisfaction with your grooms.

K7S10
01-21-08, 06:30 PM
*eyes bug out* ONTY caged dried? How did she do her poodles and bichons etc...?
We use a force air drier on all the dogs. Once they're just damp they go in a cage dryer unless they have curly or wavy coats that need to be straight, in which case they're then dried completely with the force air drier and stand dryer (for the head, face, ears), working on one area at a time, brushing the coat as you go.

Wolfenstein
01-24-08, 03:02 PM
*eyes bug out* ONTY caged dried? How did she do her poodles and bichons etc...?

I know, that's exactly what I'm thinking!! Hand drying a bichon or poodle is fun, IMO, because it's just so satisfying to see how straight you can get the hair.

On most dogs I do, I'll start with the HV dryer and only finish with the stand-up and a brush, but that's mainly because I worked at my technique for a long time. Unless they have super long hair or are pretty tangled/matted, I blast them with the HV, doing their body first, then the legs. Once they're mostly dry except for the head and tail, I switch to the stand dryer. Then I dry the head, face, and ears (so they don't have enough time to dry and get too curly) and work my way back on the dog to the tail. Generally, I have my timing down, then, so I'm only really finishing under the dryer and fluffing and straightening the dog. It's kinda hard to explain, but it works really well for me, and the process goes faster than you'd think it would!

Oh, also, you want to use quick strokes with the brush going against the growth of the hair. You also want to make sure you're digging deep enough to straighten the hair all the way from the root. It takes some practice to get right, but the results are worth it!

mastergroomertx
01-25-08, 07:28 PM
A cage dryer should only be used get the dog 50%-70% dry then you should always hand dry. I think brush drying is the only way to finnish dry a dog. I would never use a cage dryer to dry a dog 100% they would look BAD! They do come in handy when you are busy. But a dog will not look good if you are lazy and use it as the only way you dry.

Helly
01-25-08, 09:25 PM
A cage dryer should only be used get the dog 50%-70% dry then you should always hand dry. I think brush drying is the only way to finnish dry a dog. I would never use a cage dryer to dry a dog 100% they would look BAD! They do come in handy when you are busy. But a dog will not look good if you are lazy and use it as the only way you dry.

Often it's not a question of being lazy. It's not knowing any better. If that's the way you were trained, and no one ever told you any different, how would you know?

There are also some dogs that can't be dried with a force dryer, or even a stand dryer. I have a few dogs that must be cage dryed with a fan, because the sound of a dryer triggers seizures. And some just panic so badly I won't hand dry them because I don't like the idea of a dog stroking out or having a heart attack over drying their hair. It's just a hair style; not worth dying over.

keyray
01-25-08, 09:37 PM
I was taught to cage dry. We didn't hand dry anything, even poodles.

It wasn't until this site (and Jodi Murphy's DVD) that I finally realized that we were "suppose" to hand dry dogs. Now I hand dry 80% of my dogs. Even if I am going to take a dog short I will hand dry. It makes such a huge difference.

And really get Jodi's DVD. It's one of the free ones. I think it is the Smart Start. She bathes and drys a Cocker Spaniel. You only have to pay $4.50 for the shipping. http://www.jodimurphy.net/shop_dvd.html

I have 5 of her DVDs and they are all worth it!