PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use gloves?

amysue2638
01-28-07, 09:03 PM
Does anyone ever use gloves for protection while grooming a notorious biter? I realize that scissoring may not be possible with gloves, but I would think you could still do clipper work. I'm thinking specifically about grooming faces when a muzzle won't really work. If so, what kind do you use?

sheilabgroomer
01-29-07, 04:22 AM
I have never used gloves to actually groom. I used to have a pair of handler gloves that my vet ordered for me. They were super thick leather and were handy if you had a cage shy fear biter that you were trying to "loop" to get out of a cage. I rarely used them though because they were so thick and awkward, and because they seemed to scare the animals whose trust I was trying to gain. They were lost when we moved shop locations and I never replaced them and have never missed them. If the dog is that bad of a biter, do what you can around a muzzle and don't worry about the rest. Not worth bitten fingers and I don't think there are any gloves that would be flexible enough to do "face work" and still offer you protection...JMO

mustluvdogs1
02-05-07, 10:28 PM
I have gloves for filet fish. cut my skin. I even bought chain glove from a butcher once...they musta been laughing at me..$30. Hey George, listen to this..this weird girl bought my glove for dog grooming hahaha. Never use it..Muzzle or go somewhere else .For bathing...nooooo waste of time....I could sell lots of stuff I have tried over the years.

Pixie
02-06-07, 12:10 AM
Never ever have I used gloves for handling or grooming dogs. The gloves I have seen are way to bulky.

I don't even use rubber gloves to bath a dog with.

carla
02-07-07, 01:52 PM
I dont think gloves would help, if I have a biter on the table I am jumpy even with the groomers helper on.If they turn their head fast or jerk around, I use clippers quickly on biter faces,the owners understand.

Sweetpea
02-07-07, 07:57 PM
I plan on using gloves for bathing and maybe more because I heard you can get mites under your nails and prob all kinds of germs and bacteria from digging into dirty dog hair while bathing.( I think)

ssrinc5
02-07-07, 08:50 PM
I never use gloves so I can groom nasty dogs. As a matter of fact, I refuse to groom any dog that needs to be muzzled for any reason besides nail clipping.

When I was a young and didn't know better, I took on all grooms. The more difficult the better - I felt like a hero when they were done.

But there was one episode that changed my mind. The dog was an English cocker spaniel - very sweet and apologetic until she was placed on the grooming table. I had to muzzle her the whole time I was working on her. She was so mad that I swear blood was dripping out of her eyes.

I finally stopped grooming her when I realized what a pitiful site she had become - covered in her own pee, trembling horribly, trying to rake off the muzzle. From that moment on, I decided that I would never strong-arm or force grooming on another dog.

If it's gotten to the point where muzzling isn't working, and you are considering other ways to groom this dog -- stop and think. Do you really want to make this dog's time on your table a traumatic, awful experience?

Do the right thing -- pass off this dog to someone who can humanely groom the dog by using sedation - a veterinarian.

toomuchfunbnme
02-08-07, 06:03 PM
I've never used them. I refer dogs that require special handling to a veterinary grooming situation where they can recieve special care. I have heard of a situation where a new dog in a shop became agressive and got loose in the shop. I heard that they had a difficult time regaining control of it. Bite gloves or a pole leash might be handy to have around for emergency situations such as that for safety.

pamperedpups
02-08-07, 07:50 PM
Edited.

doggroomer123
06-02-07, 03:32 PM
I read in a GroomertoGroomer magazine that if the dog is really dirty it would be a good idea to use latex gloves. I dont plan on doing this...just something i read.

Fur Elite
06-06-07, 07:50 PM
Any glove that is going to protect you from a bite will be too bulky to use for much of anything really. I have some bite buster gloves and have used them when working with cats, but I usually ended up just wearing the glove on the hand that was holding the cat and had my clipper hand free. You just can't maneuver well if they are good enough to protect you from a bite.

rapuzzled
06-07-07, 05:30 PM
I don't use them for bite protection. Too much a pain in the butt, they just get in the way. I will use latex gloves if I have a dog with worms though, lol.

gladwagsgrooming
04-09-08, 06:19 PM
ha ha im reading all these post and i guess im the only groomer out there that wil even do a bad dog. i have to say i like the bad dogs they have to get groomed also. i have a few dogs that i use the cone on and when i do the face i have a glove on one hand and just sissors in the other. i like the bad dogs...i guess that is why i have so many. but they have to look cute too! i feel bad for the mean ones.....i just think they had bad times at other places or their owners don't give them boundries. but yes i use gloves and i bought them at the hardwares store they are like leather. nothing special.

badhairday
05-01-08, 07:12 AM
I have used gloves when I am trying to protect a wound on my hand but have never had much luck with them. The water just get in them when I bath so end up taking them off before the bath is over. I really like to be able to feel the skin when I bath to check for sores and any stange things you might found on a dog. I once found a 3 prong fish hook tangled in the hair of a once a year cocker.

zipsmom
06-12-08, 04:56 AM
If a dog is so nasty that you need to use gloves,
they go elsewhere...
My hands are too valuable to risk serious injury....

Smart-n-Pretty
06-12-08, 11:54 AM
I have used a chihuahua sized e-collar turned around backward as a gauntlet before. I used the ICE curves that have rounded tips and held them close to the dog's face. He would bite the closed scissors for awhile and I would take a snip when he stopped. He looked like bohoncas, but, his face was short enough to wash.

kwpgrooming
06-15-08, 03:11 PM
gloves would get in my way & slow me down

keyray
06-15-08, 08:02 PM
I can't imagine trying to groom with huge gloves on. I agree with zipsmom, if a dog is that aggressive sedation would be the option I would recommend.

LJRSnowcat
06-20-08, 01:56 PM
ha ha im reading all these post and i guess im the only groomer out there that wil even do a bad dog. i have to say i like the bad dogs they have to get groomed also. i have a few dogs that i use the cone on and when i do the face i have a glove on one hand and just sissors in the other. i like the bad dogs...i guess that is why i have so many. but they have to look cute too! i feel bad for the mean ones.....i just think they had bad times at other places or their owners don't give them boundries. but yes i use gloves and i bought them at the hardwares store they are like leather. nothing special.

I'm with you, I do the bad (I prefer to call them naughty) ones,too! Word gets around quick when you can deal with these squirrels, doesn't it? I too use one glove on my restraining hand and clippers or scissors in the other, if I need to. Mine are suade and I double them with a thicker type of rubber inside them. I find teeth can still get through so if I thicken up the material, less of a tooth can puncture it!! The things we'll do for the sake of people's pets!!!OMG

keyray
06-20-08, 08:51 PM
I'm with you, I do the bad (I prefer to call them naughty) ones,too!

Some of the vets I work with think I'm another Dog Whisperer (I'm not) and they always refer naughty dogs to me. I find that if you a calm, patient and firm you can do just about any dog. Today I groomed the worst puppy I have every groomed. I stayed so calm I couldn't have fallen asleep in the middle of the groom.

Forget the gloves, get a Groomer's Helper.

green_poodle
08-15-08, 07:41 PM
If you are talking about a breed that doesn't really have a muzzle (peke, shih, etc.) I use a E-Collar and see how that goes. If I feel like the dog is getting too stressed or is stressed for most of the groom (not just the feet, or legs, dryer etc.) I suggest they have someone else perform the groom, like a vet who can use sedation and monitor the pet.

doggroomer123
11-22-08, 05:15 PM
Forget the gloves, get a Groomer's Helper.

i agree. Groomers Helper works wonders

ejmj30
11-22-08, 06:58 PM
I have the GH, and love it. However, there is one dog, Biscuit, that I can't do without the gloves. I usually do the glove on my off hand. It also helps to have the CV on my clippers, cause they can bite the hose while my fingers are somewhat protected underneath.

kimberluvsk9
06-09-11, 09:06 AM

I am with you on this! I also use them instaed of muzzles. I dont even own a muzzle. I use the gloves to get small fear biters out of cages, to hold mean cats down while shaving, and sometimes with biters I will just put the leather inside their mouth and they dont even try to resist. LOL I guess they dont get much of people putting something inside their mouth so they dont know what to think. Muzzles often make them more aggressive. JMO

groomerjade
06-09-11, 02:55 PM
This muzzle works really well for flat-nosed dogs. I'll do just about any dog unless it is just completely unpredictable. I've never turned down a dog for biting, but I just do as much as I can and explain to the owners. A lot of it really is about how the dog reads you. Just be confident and calm but incredibly aware.

groomerjade
06-09-11, 02:57 PM
If you are talking about a breed that doesn't really have a muzzle (peke, shih, etc.)

This muzzle works great! It doesn't help you much with the face though.

http://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Dog-Muzzle-Short-Nose/dp/B001O5V19O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307652022&sr=8-1

Theresa.Marie
06-09-11, 03:23 PM
i use these bite busters when i groom cats
http://www.bitebuster.com/CartGenie/prod-14.htm

maricopahappytails
09-29-11, 10:20 AM
I used to work at a vet where the dogs all yall wouldn't do were referred to. I found it helped the dog and my sanity to NOT use sedation. Acepromazine does NOTHING when a dog is stressed and when they are done their eyes are droopy and they are out of it. Sevo or Isoflurane is awesome but very expensive and can be risky to the pets health. At the vet I use to use their big bulky leather gloves but now I use basic leather gardening gloves. I only use them to protect my fingers when getting the muzzle on. As soon as it's on, I take them off. I do the face last. For face aggressive and for applying the muzzle I sit behind the dog with my hand under their chin. they can't bite that way. I am going to be moving to Texas and have been looking for anybody I can refer the few aggressive dogs I do. After looking around I am getting quite nervous because most people just don't want to deal with them at all. I have them in their routines now so well that they are very well behaved. They still have their triggers and need to be handled carefully but they are good dogs with good hearts. If anybody knows anybody in AZ that can keep their cool I can even give videos or personally show you how to safely and calmly groom them with no stress on either end. Ty..

Oh and when I was a bather after using that bluing shampoo a lot my hands would be so dry and cracked they would bleed. They looked 90 when I was 20!. I went to the dr. and he suggested I wear latex gloves. What a joke! I guess he didn't realize how wet you get bathing a dog. I did try it. Instead of keeping my hands dry they soaked in shampoo all day. For that to work I would need a full body glove! Now I am a proud owner of a mobile unit and I only use hypoallergenic shampoos and have NO problem, dogs neither!

caffemoka810
09-01-12, 08:45 PM
Does anyone ever use gloves for protection while grooming a notorious biter? I realize that scissoring may not be possible with gloves, but I would think you could still do clipper work. I'm thinking specifically about grooming faces when a muzzle won't really work. If so, what kind do you use?

I actually use gloves more than I use muzzles. I feel bad putting muzzles on the dogs and would rather them try to nip me with gloves on. However my trick is that I use thick but slim gardening gloves (easier to feel my fingers) and I wear one glove only (the hand that I DONT scissor with). So the gloved hand is used for protection, I.e. holding their face away from what I'm doing. Seems to work best for me.

jdarla
02-22-13, 06:26 PM
I use gloves while washing and drying dogs because my hands get dry, cracked, and irritated. I don't use them to protect from biters, because I don't think it'd do much to protect anyhow.