Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Goofy "Purebred" Miniature dalmatian???

I walked into petsmart last night and saw one of the cutest dogs I have ever seen before. It looks like a harlequin italian greyhound puppy. So I ooed and aaed for a bit and the woman told me oh it is a miniature dalmation we went all the way to georgia for her. The only breeder in the world yada yada. I dunno how i feel about it but darn that puppy was cute. I looked them up http://www.miniaturedalmatians.com/ .... What do you all think? The onlt dalmations I have ever met have been nasty but she was a real sweetie.

from the faq

Q. How do these differ from Standard Dalmatians?
    A. Other than the size, we have bred out deafness (1%), kidney problems (.5%), and aggressive behavior. In fact, their temperament is one of the Miniature Dalmatians best qualities.

How cute!!!! It's like a perma puppy!!!!
    Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
    Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Every new breed has to start from somebody breeding the right dogs until they get the character they want. With only 10 years of pedigree and such secrecy, I would worry about their gene pool being a bit too shallow. It's not really considered a new breed until they can breed together and reproduce true to the "standard".

I've known several good quality dalmations. They can be hyper, but all have been of good temperament. The ones that are a pain are usually locked up in the house all day long and mommy/daddy only lets them out for a little bit. They are an athletic dog and need lots of running to burn off that nervous energy.

looks like a high class puppy farm to me. I noticed it said in their "laboratory" gee. They have bred out deafness and such? guess they culled a bunch in the process. I'm curious to know what exactly they crossed these dogs with to get that size. I emailed them to inquire.

Gee, if they've managed to breed out deafness and kidney problems in their minis, maybe they should give the standard size breeders a clue as to how to go about doing the same. And while they're at it, I'll bet breeders of other breeds would also like to know.

LOL, they bred out the aggressiveness, kidney, and blindness.... Good for them, now how about NORMAL Dalmations.... hmm... I'm pretty sure responsible breeders have been doing that for years...

Default Yeah Right!

What a CROCK. People will believe anything and pay for anything too I might add. Wonder if they BAER tested the dogs to get rid of the deafness ? Don't think so.

They bred out deafness/ kidney problems and aggression that is very hard for me to believe. Considering the real Dalamation people have been trying to do that for decades. And the babies aren't AKC/UKC I'm going to go with Hairdevil and say puppy farm.

Quote Originally Posted by GroominGirl View Post
    I walked into petsmart last night and saw one of the cutest dogs I have ever seen before. It looks like a harlequin italian greyhound puppy. So I ooed and aaed for a bit and the woman told me oh it is a miniature dalmation we went all the way to georgia for her. The only breeder in the world yada yada. I dunno how i feel about it but darn that puppy was cute. I looked them up http://www.miniaturedalmatians.com/ .... What do you all think? The onlt dalmations I have ever met have been nasty but she was a real sweetie.

from the faq

Q. How do these differ from Standard Dalmatians?
    A. Other than the size, we have bred out deafness (1%), kidney problems (.5%), and aggressive behavior. In fact, their temperament is one of the Miniature Dalmatians best qualities.
    I just adopted a mini dalmation on Saturday April 11-09. He is 5 months old and came from a puppy mill in Quebec Canada. When I saw him I just couldn't leave him there. He is registrated and has the ear stamped and came with papers with his mom and dad's reg. #'s
    Never saw or heard of a mini before. Just love my Vimy to death. Oh the name? he was born on Nov 11th Rememberance day.

I DO NOT agree with the aggression being bred out. I used to do the nails on one of these and it took 2 of us and a muzzle. Yes it looked like a little spotted IG. They spent way too much on it, and flew from Nevada to pick it up.

Don't get me started on irresponsible breeders. All I have to say is that alot of the dogs looked like chihuahuas, rat terriers, and Italian greyhounds. Gee, wonder what they mixed in w/ their full sized dalmatians to get these "purebred" mini's. It disgusts me how people use dog breeding as an income. I would never buy an animal that wasn't shown and health tested. Call me a snob, but I want my hard earned money going to the breeders who do it the right way, who produce sound dogs, who produce champions-those that closest mirror the standard, not just make up their own standard. People who breed indeterminately are the reason there are so many poor animals getting euthanized every day in America, and that just breaks my heart.

is anyone else having a hard time with all these new "breeds" and "designer dogs"?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast