Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grooming the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Hi Everyone!!

I'm new here, but have heard wonderful things about the forums. Anyone have any tips on grooming the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel?

Thumbs up

au natural. no trimming

Of course a lot of what you do depends on what the owner wants done. But they're pretty much wash & wear dogs, and there isn't much beyond the bath/brush/nails for these dogs.

Unless directed by the owner, don't trim the "slippers". The hair on top of the foot is left natural, but you can trim out hair between the pads if it's getting matted.

Keep your sanitary trim minimal. No "landing strip" down the dogs booty, and use a longer blade than a 10. Trim out only that hair that's catching feces, and on females, trim out urine stained hair. You can clip the sheath on males, but leave a "wick" or "pee string" to direct urine down, so the dog isn't urinating on his legs/feet.

Card or strip dead/loose hair. I like to thin out the hair behind the ears to reduce matting. If there are other areas that are matted, I thin those, too.

"Think occasionally of the suffering for which you spare yourself the sight." A. Schweitzer

Depends on the owners preference, most of the Cavs I see just get a bath and brush out, nails, sani & pads. Some owners like the feet trimmed some don't, and then I have a few who come in who get a haircut anywhere from a #1 to a #7 all over. If they are getting just a bath and brush you can also go through their coat with thinning shears to calm down any crazy fly aways they have going on (although putting a towel on them while they dry will reduce this a lot too). You really just want to be very thorough when getting instructions from the owners, i will usually go over each part individually to really figure out what they want(ie: feet,tail,eats, etc). Welcome to our little community, and beware you will become addicted!

Clown

They need very little trimming. Ask the client if they prefer the natural CKCS foot (like a Clydesdale!) or very neat (like a Golden). All of my CKCS like the neat foot because they track less stuff in on their feet. You can slightly neaten their feathers & bottoms of their ears. Remove whiskers only if the client requests. CKCS are one of my favorite breeds & they are a lot of fun!

Welcome aboard, there are so many people here who are incredibly knowledgable about so many different aspects of grooming. I've learned so much from this website over the years.

I have a few CKC spaniels that I groom, but all 4 of them get shaved---it's weird, I rarely shave any "not normally shaved dogs", maybe 2 pugs, but all of my CKC spaniel owners want their dogs shaved! I HATE it. It must be the shedding. Their hair grows back fine, but boy do they look goofy in my opinion.

I just use Plum Silky shampoo (Nature's Specialties brand) and conditioner and that's about it.

Nice to meet you!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Quote Originally Posted by TNP View Post
    Hi Everyone!!

I'm new here, but have heard wonderful things about the forums. Anyone have any tips on grooming the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel?
    I groom about 10 of these. All of them are on a maintenance groom schedule from 3-6 weeks. These guys tend to get pretty dirty. I like to use Espree Rainforest as their shampoo. Makes their coat light, fluffy and always smells fresh and clean. The biggest problem is they all seem to get clumpy matts behind their ears. Although you are not supposed to cut their hair, I do clipper the pads. Other then that, not much else to do. They are a wonderful breed. All sweet and lovely to groom.

Yeah, that was the one dog you didn't get during school, huh? It's all what the client wants. IMO they look better neatened up over taking them down short. Show style is leaving them natural. Remember to really talk with the client the first time you do their pet!!
    INTRODUCE YOURSELF TO EVERYBODY Cyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, don't forget pictures
    simon and mousse send puppy kisses
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Default You Guys are Awesome

Thank you all for your tips, you guys are so awesome and your right it's only my first time here and I'm already addicted.

So, I do apologize I haven't yet introduced myself. I am a recent graduate of one of the Golden Paws Schools in Wa, and now I am back home in rainy Hawaii. While in Washington I had the pleasure of meeting Shawn and her delightful four legged family (the 2 legged family members are are equally as delightful). I am currently working independently at another salon to start building my clientele until I can open my own place.

Thanks again & I'll be back!!

Quote Originally Posted by TNP View Post

So, I do apologize I haven't yet introduced myself. I am a recent graduate of one of the Golden Paws Schools in Wa, and now I am back home in rainy Hawaii.

Thanks again & I'll be back!!
    Gosh, rainy Hawaii. I feel sorry for you, having to live out there in DUMPY rainy Hawaii. Maybe you better trade me places, you can live here in cold, snowy, Utah, and I'll live in rainy ol' Hawaii.

Ever been to PCC? (Polynesian Cultural Center). My church owns it, I hear it's kinda neat but I've never been.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I do several that get a modified springer clip;t hey are hugely overcoated, and the coat doesn't pluck out well; they get anywhere from a 7f to 4f on the body, scissor legs; clip the inside of the ear openings, scissor fringes and short round feet; neaten tail.
    Deidre

Ditto what others said -- what the customer wants. In school we had a lot of them and NONE of the owners wanted them touched with scissors or clippers. Just a bath and brushout. Now I groom I think 11 of them in my shop and all but 1 likes their hair cut. I do anything from a #4 (the dog is 14 years old and the owner just wants her to be comfortable) to a C snap-on, all with neatened feet, ears, and tail. Just find out what the owner wants....personally I think they look best more natural with just some minor trimming, but then again some Cavaliers have a lot more coat than others. They tend to also get very matted on the underbelly/ears/back end area if not brushed very often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast